Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

1 minute ago, Scribe said:

WTH, they already used the "this is the last time we can ask for more money" when they got the county/city to match some funds. What about this project that's causing so much trouble?

They already did all the engineering and the design work (it was approved after all), so it has to be actual construction related?!!

I don't think its dead, I think its just having lots of issues and its 50/50.

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I don't think its dead, I think its just having lots of issues and its 50/50.

Issues with the site / construction?

Isn't Cleveland Construction ahhhhhh...... not the best outfit, or something along those lines? I think it was discussed a bit elsewhere int he thread. How did they end up with the contract, simply lowest bidder? :/

12 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Issues with the site / construction?

Isn't Cleveland Construction ahhhhhh...... not the best outfit, or something along those lines? I think it was discussed a bit elsewhere int he thread. How did they end up with the contract, simply lowest bidder? :/

Yes, and they are trash (bad rep in my home of Cleveland), but they low bid EVERYONE. Look at the AC hotel, it went WAYYYYY over its timeline and already has construction issues.

• Sad 1

On 3/4/2019 at 10:12 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

I'm no architect but that angle/illusion is in nearly every single rendering of every development ever; the top  corner of the roof line is made to seem taller in order to make it look more appealing in rendering form. But then it makes it look like the Hearst tower effect.

In fact, I have always wondered where the line is that allows designs to get away with that. Like obviously no building is going to have a spire-like top poking up at one corner, and yet all renderings have that appearance. Architecture-school training.

The Omni would like a word with you

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

So maybe it's for the better in the long run if C.C. gets the boot and we can get a competent crew to finish the job? Doesn't seem fitting for what is supposed to be a super high end Hotel brand?

Nah, that'll be the nail in the coffin. Any more delays and this will be too expensive to build.

If you look back at photos it seems like there's been very little movement of the equipment on site. Granted, they're working in a very tight space. My assumption was that the rains had really impacted the pace of the foundation work.

Regardless -  I'll remain optimistic that this is moving forward and those involved are invested in the completion of the hotel and theater. I mean, didn't they just release an updated rendering?

@ricky_davis_fan_21 Did you hear back from the Australian developer? Or is that where you're getting the 50/50 news from?  

On 3/3/2019 at 12:57 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think its going to be a darker blue than this. I emailed the rendering to the developer in Australia to see if they have any comments.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Urban Cowboy said:

If you look back at photos it seems like there's been very little movement of the equipment on site. Granted, they're working in a very tight space. My assumption was that the rains had really impacted the pace of the foundation work.

Regardless -  I'll remain optimistic that this is moving forward and those involved are invested in the completion of the hotel and theater. I mean, didn't they just release an updated rendering?

@ricky_davis_fan_21 Did you hear back from the Australian developer? Or is that where you're getting the 50/50 news from?  

Got different stories from everyone. I revise my 50/50 to 60:40 going to happen. They never RELEASED a rendering, KJ found a rendering, which we have confirmed is current.

Just now, TheOneRJ said:

I couldn’t care less about the theater (sorry), but I hope the hotel finds a new place if this project doesn’t make it. 

I can't imagine having this opinion. Care to elaborate why you don't want another cultural venue uptown?

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I can't imagine having this opinion. Care to elaborate why you don't want another cultural venue uptown?

Cultural venues are great, I’m just not a history freak, so the appeal of restoring that theater doesn’t interest me. Another cultural venue can be built pretty much anywhere in Uptown, as can the hotel. 

1 hour ago, TheOneRJ said:

Cultural venues are great, I’m just not a history freak, so the appeal of restoring that theater doesn’t interest me. Another cultural venue can be built pretty much anywhere in Uptown, as can the hotel. 

Not really though. Building that theatre from scratch would be easily $30M+ plus land price.

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

This has to be the most “Charlotte” comment I’ve seen in a while .

That is a very Charlotte thought process to an extent, but I definitely see his point. Should progress have to wait for the sake of what could be simply considered nostalgia? (Hopefully yes)

I don't agree with that since you can't go back in time and build something historic so that value is impossible to recreate today.

Let's just make sure to not disparage someone's opinion even if it isn't very popular among UP users. (I'm not saying that in response to anyone's reply in particular)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its not disparaging. Its a bad take, and deserves to be called out. 

Really my issue is that in order to build a cultural asset like this in 2019 it’s an incredible undertaking that needs oodles of corporate welfare, subsidization and tons of public-private partnership. It just doesn’t happen, we don’t have Rockefeller’s giving back to the community anymore. People don’t wake up and say hey, let’s build a 1000 seat theatre. It’s irreplaceable. Let’s take Greensboro’s new performing arts center named after Steven Tanger, of Tanger Outlets. He has only covered 10% of nearly $80M. The rest is covered 50% by the city of Greensboro and 50% by private fundraising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk