Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

1 minute ago, Crucial_Infra said:

There are four NC billionaires. Two from SAS, one from Quintiles, and Charlotte’s CD Spangler.  Jordan is considering a billionaire on some lists too. 

So, three of the four live in the Triangle, and one lives in Charlotte.  That proves my point.  There are very few very rich people who can fund these projects, as opposed to places like New York and London.   Another example of lavish spending is that a hedge fund manager wanted NY to have the Giganotosaurus when it was found in Argentina, so he forked over $75m.   Philanthropy is thriving in places with a lot of rich people.

That has downsides too.  Having a lot of very rich people drives up the cost of everything.  NC's low cost of living is part of its appeal.

I would also point out there's a pretty big difference between "old money" and "new money" wealth. If I'm old money and my assets are tangible - real estate, for example - I'm more likely to give meaningful amounts of money. If I'm new money because of stock prices, I'm going to be a lot more cautious because share price could evaporate in a day. Older cities have had a lot more time to build up real assets and endowments. Charlotte has barely scratched the surface. 

• Like 3

There are four NC billionaires. Two from SAS, one from Quintiles, and Charlotte’s CD Spangler.  Jordan is considering a billionaire on some lists too. 

CD is dead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I would also point out there's a pretty big difference between "old money" and "new money" wealth. If I'm old money and my assets are tangible - real estate, for example - I'm more likely to give meaningful amounts of money. If I'm new money because of stock prices, I'm going to be a lot more cautious because share price could evaporate in a day. Older cities have had a lot more time to build up real assets and endowments. Charlotte has barely scratched the surface. 

I was in Las Vegas several years ago and visiting a store there called. "History For Sale".   You could buy anything from Babe Ruth autographs to Napolean's letters.  When I told the owner I was from Charlotte he perked up and told me a story of how he had been considering opening a branch here. Then, he went on to remark that Charlotte is full of "old money".  In his estimation, "old money" is too conservative and reluctant to 'give it up'.  Whereas, a place like Las Vegas where people earn fast money, he finds to be a lot easier to sell.

And, regarding billionaires in the next post, I know of at least one that's not on the public list of "four" .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Windsurfer said:

I was in Las Vegas several years ago and visiting a store there called. "History For Sale".   You could buy anything from Babe Ruth autographs to Napolean's letters.  When I told the owner I was from Charlotte he perked up and told me a story of how he had been considering opening a branch here. Then, he went on to remark that Charlotte is full of "old money".  In his estimation, "old money" is too conservative and reluctant to 'give it up'.  Whereas, a place like Las Vegas where people earn fast money, he finds to be a lot easier to sell.

And, regarding billionaires in the next post, I know of at least one that's not on the public list of "four" .

that sounds like Gold and Silver and Rick who was born in NC.  

anyway with the Belk Theater the Belk family gave millions for this.  We do have wealthy people who give big in this area to foundations, to their universities etc.  All that new money in tech hubs does not seem to help those communities as much as you think.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nakers2 said:

I want to make a short statement about my comment that seems to have offended many people on here. I'd like to clarify that I'm sure that MJ is a nice person to be around when you're in his inner circle, but my understanding is that he's not a man who really can be close and personal with his fans. It would be one thing if he was kind of a shy, stay out of the limelight guy, but a lot of accounts I've heard through the years indicate that the man is on a high horse. He's obviously the GOAT when it comes to playing ball, but I maintain what I said when I stated that talent is not an excuse to be ugly, especially to the very people who made you so successful, the lower class/middle income basketball fans who's demand for entertainment drives your own personal economy. 

Once again, for any philanthropy he does, I do bid my thanks to him, however, from a character standpoint, unless I meet the man and see otherwise, I will continue to harbor a less than stellar view of him. And this is not exclusive to Mr. Jordan. Will Ferrell for example, talented actor, often reported to be rude to servers and fans, Harrison Ford, same way, I appreciate their work, but would rather hang out with the likes of Mark Hammil or Tom Hanks any day. 

My language could have been more nuanced, but frankly I was in a crap mood, so sue me..

Will Farrell???  His best friend lives in my neighborhood and frequents an ice cream shop that's right around the corner from my house.  When Will comes to visit, they both go to that ice cream shop.  There are several pictures on the wall of Will visiting there, happy and smiling along with staff.  I have spoken to the owners about Will Farrell coming to their shop and they are proud of that fact and enjoy having him.  They have nothing bad to say about him.  Maybe he behaves differently towards people when he's with his friend -- I don't know -- but at least at that one shop Will Farrell treats staff well.  On the other hand, maybe the people who claim he was rude to him encountered him on a bad (or very busy) day.  Everyone has good days and bad days.  As for Michael Jordan, I was a bit surprised by your comments because in the more than 35 years I have been aware of Michael Jordan, I have never heard a negative word said about him.

2 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Will Farrell???  His best friend lives in my neighborhood and frequents an ice cream shop that's right around the corner from my house.  When Will comes to visit, they both go to that ice cream shop.  There are several pictures on the wall of Will visiting there, happy and smiling along with staff.  I have spoken to the owners about Will Farrell coming to their shop and they are proud of that fact and enjoy having him.  They have nothing bad to say about him.  Maybe he behaves differently towards people when he's with his friend -- I don't know -- but at least at that one shop Will Farrell treats staff well.  On the other hand, maybe the people who claim he was rude to him encountered him on a bad (or very busy) day.  Everyone has good days and bad days.  As for Michael Jordan, I was a bit surprised by your comments because in the more than 35 years I have been aware of Michael Jordan, I have never heard a negative word said about him.

The night MJ got engaged he actually went to Selwyn Pub (after a Hornets game) and had someone pass out Cigars to everyone. Pretty classy lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacksonH said:

This is the project in Uptown I am most excited about BY FAR, so I don't want to hear any bad news.  Unless @ricky_davis_fan_21 has good news to share, I'd rather talk about Michael Jordan.  ;)

Imagine if the news was bad and we ended up talking about chicken legs for the foreseeable future.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...