Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

Takes a lot of time to make sure a historic theatre isn't going to collapse when you start digging and building. Takes a lot of time to figure out the engineering of the skinniest building in Charlotte History, and how to make it not screw up a historic theatre. Why is everyone crying about how long this is taking?

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Takes a lot of time to make sure a historic theatre isn't going to collapse when you start digging and building. Takes a lot of time to figure out the engineering of the skinniest building in Charlotte History, and how to make it not screw up a historic theatre. Why is everyone crying about how long this is taking?

I’m not going to cry about how long it’s taking, so long as the project is not thought to be imperiled.

11 minutes ago, Dale said:

I’m not going to cry about how long it’s taking, so long as the project is not thought to be imperiled.

I think part of the hangup is the Project Manager left like 8 months ago and they had to find a replacement.

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Just glad it's happening, but closing off lanes like this is a real PITA (and further delays having a protecting bike lane through uptown).

Edited by Desert Power
  • Thanks 1

If it’s taking so long for the sake of preserving the theatre then that’s understandable since that is one of the most important parts of this project... just as long as it does in fact get built. Maybe we’ve gotten a little spoiled by how fast things are being built on S. Tryon, haha.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

If it’s taking so long for the sake of preserving the theatre then that’s understandable since that is one of the most important parts of this project... just as long as it does in fact get built. Maybe we’ve gotten a little spoiled by how fast things are being built on S. Tryon, haha.

The speed of projects on South Tryon caused significant damage to the historic church on South Tryon, so theres definitely reason for caution.

5 minutes ago, Jasons0013 said:

This.  Having that damn bike lane on a major entryway through the city is the most Charlotte thing ever.  Surprised they didn't paint the damn thing beige!

Yeah....I think a Trade St route would have been much better.  That said, at least it should kill street parking between Tryon and Pine

• 2 weeks later...