Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

30 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

This project has to be stalled. Everyone can make all the ‘legitimate’ excuses they want and have for 3+ years. If it’s not stalled then it’s gross incompetence of all parties involved.

I think you’re right. If you look back at my drone pics in this thread from December 20th, the site looks exactly the same. Even the rebar slated to be installed for the floors is sitting in the same spot on the ground. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

We need a sleuth of the highest order.

I’ve talked to the construction company who said the following.

I don’t have any further info on either project for public consumption. They are moving ahead. Cleveland Construction is onsite 6 days a week moving forward. It’s going to be amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I’ve talked to the construction company who said the following.

I don’t have any further info on either project for public consumption. They are moving ahead. Cleveland Construction is onsite 6 days a week moving forward. It’s going to be amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That statement sounds like spin.  It's very uninformative.  The question is, how many Cleveland Construction employees are on site six days a week -- one, two, thirty (makes a huge difference) -- and how many hours a day do they spend there?  If this person were to state the average number of paid man hours spent on this site per week, they would be far more convincing. 

Just guessing here, but maybe there are concerns about damage to the structural integrity of the theater, which may be slowing progress.  If that's the case then I hope they take all the time that they need.  But they haven't said that.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, JacksonH said:

That statement sounds like spin.  It's very uninformative.  The question is, how many Cleveland Construction employees are on site six days a week -- one, two, thirty (makes a huge difference) -- and how many hours a day do they spend there?  If this person were to state the average number of paid man hours spent on this site per week, they would be far more convincing. 

Just guessing here, but maybe there are concerns about damage to the structural integrity of the theater, which may be slowing progress.  If that's the case then I hope they take all the time that they need.  But they haven't said that.

I mean ya'll asked for a sleuth, so I asked the construction company directly.

5 minutes ago, j-man said:

Is it ethical for a building to be constructed non stop. Like every single day 7 days a week, for 24 hours? If so I’m sure that could get them to a more reasonable finishing date. 

Its definitely possible, you just have shifts. 

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Its definitely possible, you just have shifts. 

I think this should somehow be implemented here because having to see or deal with that much construction that has been going on for like the last few years and not having the hotel even at ground floor yet must be frustrating for nearby businesses . I wonder has anyone complained about it. And truthfully that sidewalk that’s blocked with those fences is so dangerous at this point. Cars can’t see people and people can’t see cars. And no not everybody follows the signs as they should. 

4 minutes ago, j-man said:

I think this should somehow be implemented here because having to see or deal with that much construction that has been going on for like the last few years and not having the hotel even at ground floor yet must be frustrating for nearby businesses . I wonder has anyone complained about it. And truthfully that sidewalk that’s blocked with those fences is so dangerous at this point. Cars can’t see people and people can’t see cars. And no not everybody follows the signs as they should. 

I think taking care to not damage the theatre is the #1 priority. 

24 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

I hope they recall that construction destroyed the fresco/reredos in St Peter Catholic on S Tryon and a repeat should definitely not happen

I have an original sketch (called cartoon) of the bottom left corner of it in my living room. Was given to my grandma by Ben Long.

https://www.blueridgeheritage.com/destinations/blue-ridge-frescoes/

I have visited his last supper fresco in Glendale Springs, NC.  This one was before Hugh McColl commissioned him for his work in Charlotte and he was working in small church buildings in the Blue Ridge. Always worth a stop. Moreso if one is of the faith.

• Like 1