Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

11 hours ago, wadesboro2 said:

I am very excited about this project, top 3 for me in Charlotte. It’s disappointing to not see much progress on the tower but historic renovations are known to be complicated and require a lot of re-engineering as problems come up during construction. Pretty amazing to have this type of small footprint high rise construction in Charlotte. Last one like it was museum tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love museum tower and I really like this project. Skinny towers add a nice variety to the skyline. 

Is it engineering problems causing the snails pace or money? 

44 minutes ago, Yeahdoug said:

I love museum tower and I really like this project. Skinny towers add a nice variety to the skyline. 

Is it engineering problems causing the snails pace or money? 

As has been explained by others on here: it is unlikely money and simply a case of caution in dealing with a complex historical asset in a very tight workspace.  

21 hours ago, DMann said:

I observed a worker with a saw cutting into the concrete abutment coming out of the Luski - Gorelicki gallery.  It appears that is in the way of a construction beam placement.

I've always wondered too if the Intercontinental will have a connection to The Foundations of the Carolinas.  It would tie-in well to the upscale hotel and would also help the lobby feel larger with a cut through to the gallery.  

5 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I've always wondered too if the Intercontinental will have a connection to The Foundations of the Carolinas.  It would tie-in well to the upscale hotel and would also help the lobby feel larger with a cut through to the gallery.  

A few floors will be Foundation of the Carolina space, and I'm pretty sure there will be direct connection in the lobby as well.

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, Wrangler said:

2035 seems like a conservative estimate. This thread discussing this project is 13 years old. Just awkward now at best.

How does the intercontinental let this happen though? I mean don’t they want to get the friggin hotel open?  That part was announced like 3 years ago and not much has been done. 

11 minutes ago, Yeahdoug said:

How does the intercontinental let this happen though? I mean don’t they want to get the friggin hotel open?  That part was announced like 3 years ago and not much has been done. 

The thread about the topic covers 4 proposals, and two RFPs. In other words, because of the development site available, and the condition of the theatre, which was left to rot, make it difficult to build. Intercontinental is just the name on the building,  the operators, and builders are just waiting patiently to be part of a great new city. You don't rush something like this, you end up damaging things that can't be replaced.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Intercontinental could’ve built a stand-alone hotel from the group up and had it opened from the time it was announced here to present day. 

yep, absolutely, in a location other than this one. And Intercontinental isn't a builder or operator, they are a name. 

Edited by Guest

46 minutes ago, 1020AM said:

I don't get the impatience on this. We all knew from the time that construction started that it would be a slow process given the careful nature of renovating an old theater, the small plot and from what I've read on here, the builder.   

I think it’s more of just wanting to make sure it gets done. I wonder what kind of timeline IHG expected or what promises were made on the theater side of it. I will be very happy when the hotel starts to finally rise. 

54 minutes ago, Seabrooke said:

I’m sure it’s a lot easier to completely renovate an entire theater while there isn’t a high rise blocking the big cut out section to move the structural elements in. I appreciate that the work is being done in a thoughtful way that respects the integrity of a historical structure. I’m sure their team is taking into account the timing of the project and understands what is necessary to get the job done properly.

But I want to see dynamite and explosions. Boom. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Yeahdoug said:

5 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Intercontinental could’ve built a stand-alone hotel from the group up and had it opened from the time it was announced here to present day. 

That was my exact thought. They should just do that and just extend the theater on what’s left of the parcel because if we’re being honest. This hotel is only exiting because of the height, not the design or any unique features. 

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

People really seem to doubt the challenge of building a 420' building on a .14 acre lot beside a 93 year old theatre that needs massive refurb.

I can understand all that but what is the point of even trying to fit a hotel on something that small and complicated. I get it, if you want something done do it, but at this point if this doesn’t get built it would be  of no complaints because this site has just been an eyesore for years now. They can just extend a new part of the theater on this land and keep it moving. Just saying.

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1