Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

3 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

New to the Charlotte forum, does anyone know if Carolina Theater will have the capability of showcasing film or will it primarily be for stage performances? 

Actually there will be very little in the way of Stage performances, as there isn't really a back stage to speak of. 

"Programming at the theatre will include speakers, community engagement events, town hall meetings, arts and entertainment, films and more."

This from the Foundation's website. So yes to films. 

Edited by Guest

On 3/8/2020 at 1:26 AM, KJHburg said:

On this very day in 1927 the new Carolina Theater opened on N Tryon.   

I finally got it, they want the grand re-opening to be on the 100yr anniversary of the original Carolina Theater opening.

You all can relax, this speed is intentional!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JacksonH said:

Just to be clear, my comment above was meant only as a joke, not to disparage anyone involved in this project.  I have no issue with how long it's taking.  I want them to take every possible precaution, regardless of how much time that might add to the schedule, to ensure no damage occurs to the theater, either during construction or at any time in the future.

I was making a general comment not  directed at anyone but all of us who have grown inpatient.  all of us would like this to go faster but it is such as complicated project the likes of which has never been seen in Charlotte.  our answer is the Polk building usually flatten it and then clear the site and start over.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I gotta say I’m surprised at the impatience of a lot of folks here , considering so many were upset at the Polk being torn down and not salvaged renovated and restored.
I mean remodels of regular houses built only 5 or 20 years ago can take a lot of extra time and money. When you start opening walls and messing with foundations or structure it can be like opening Pandora’s box. Unforeseen issues no matter how thorough the planning was. Which often times have a ripple effect. And then there are codes and inspections. And there is so much construction going on inspectors are spread thin. And if they show up and see something even minor wrong from 15 feet away that can be corrected in a minute they will turn around and leave and say call them when you are ready. And there is lead time on getting them back. There are so many variables that go into any project that can dictate the speed or lack there of let alone this particular one. I get it, I’m excited to see this rise too. I’m trying to be patient and expectant and enjoying the process. And glad I’m not one having to endure the stress of this project and not effing it up or structures or street around it and having my subcontractors being safe as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish this could be pinned at the top of every page

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those more familiar with the challenges of construction please correct me if I'm wrong, but given that a deep hole must be dug for the base of a tower, and in this case that hole is being dug right next to the theater, that could easily threaten the foundation of the theater, and ultimately could threaten the entire theater structure.  If they're not really, really painstakingly careful the entire theater could collapse. 

That’s the first time I’ve seen the doorway cutouts at the base of the crane. Might be a dumb question but are they building the elevator shaft around the crane?

Yes. There’s a video somewhere in this thread showing how they will go about removing it when complete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk