Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

On 4/5/2020 at 6:19 AM, Skyybutter said:

I'm MOST excited about this project.  1) finally an Intercontinental 2) finally this site sees something actually come to fruition. 

I'm a long timer and this site has been "about to do something" for about 25yrs.

Just glad we got past the 4/1 negative jokes. After all this time, i just was not ready to deal with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2020 at 6:19 AM, Skyybutter said:

I'm MOST excited about this project.  1) finally an Intercontinental 2) finally this site sees something actually come to fruition. 

I'm a long timer and this site has been "about to do something" for about 25yrs.

Maybe I'm just remembering the foyer as a little kid, but it looks like a lot of the entrance into the theater is concealed by the elevator shaft. The entrance used to be pretty grandiose.  

1 hour ago, Windsurfer said:

Maybe I'm just remembering the foyer as a little kid, but it looks like a lot of the entrance into the theater is concealed by the elevator shaft. The entrance used to be pretty grandiose.  

Here is the floorpan, so you can get an idea of what the new entrance will look like, plus a diagram of what everything is

image.thumb.png.d38e2facce6a5c7b922b63c900b8b2a4.png

image.png.7b474a210d426e346eebfa593e427f77.png

Maybe it was all the mirrors they used to have. Thanks for the plans!

Haha I can’t speak to the original plans. I will look in the UNCC archives to see if I can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Eightane said:

It is such a tables-turned feeling, after months and months of us bemoaning the lack of visual progress, to see this finally accelerate construction while so much of the world has come to a standstill.

That said, I'm giddy that it's on its way to glory!

Can you believe there will be a 400' building here?!

On 4/10/2020 at 2:19 PM, gman430 said:

BBD830-EC-51-ED-4958-935-F-E16-E763-E9-E

Can someone tell me what we're looking at here?  I'm trying to orient this concrete tower-looking structure on the construction site with the blueprint and the lobby drawing that were posted earlier in this thread (I've added them here for comparison).  So I'm trying to figure out what this thing is that's being built and how it relates to what's in the blueprint and shown on the lobby drawing.  On the side facing Tryon St., you can see that this concrete tower construction is going to have four windows or doors on the lobby level.  But when I look at the blueprint, I don't see anything that's exactly equivalent.  There is something in the center back of the lobby in the blueprint that could be it; you can see immediately its right side is the corridor leading to the theater entrance.  But in this blueprint version, there are only three (not four) wndows/doors facing towards Tryon.  And even more confusing, when I look to the lobby image, what I'm seeing in that same location is even more different.  It looks like there's a box office in that location, with some rather tiny windows.  And it only rises to the lobby level as there is a balcony right on top of it.  But this tower thing on the construction site continues to rise.  It wasn't topped off with a balcony; it's still going up.  So what is happening here?

Belk Intercontinental Carolina_Blueprint.png

Belk Intercontinental Carolina_Entrance.jpg

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Can someone tell me what we're looking at here?  I'm trying to orient this concrete tower-looking structure on the construction site with the blueprint and the lobby drawing that were posted earlier in this thread (I've added them here for comparison).  So I'm trying to figure out what this thing is that's being built and how it relates to what's in the blueprint and shown on the lobby drawing.  On the side facing Tryon St., you can see that this concrete tower construction is going to have four windows or doors on the lobby level.  But when I look at the blueprint, I don't see anything that's exactly equivalent.  There is something in the center back of the lobby in the blueprint that could be it; you can see immediately its right side is the corridor leading to the theater entrance.  But in this blueprint version, there are only three (not four) wndows/doors facing towards Tryon.  And even more confusing, when I look to the lobby image, what I'm seeing in that same location is even more different.  It looks like there's a box office in that location, with some rather tiny windows.  And it only rises to the lobby level as there is a balcony right on top of it.  But this tower thing on the construction site continues to rise.  It wasn't topped off with a balcony; it's still going up.  So what is happening here?

Belk Intercontinental Carolina_Entrance.jpg

I explained in a. previous post. The concrete tower is the elevator core, which would be behind the drywall behind the theatre facade. You can see an opening in the wall on the second floor.

image.thumb.png.d38e2facce6a5c7b922b63c900b8b2a4.png

Edited by Guest