Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

5 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Got it now.  Thanks!

Welcome! That said I'm sure the rendering isn't completely up to date, or the site plan for that matter, speaking that it appears there are 4 elevator openings vs. 3 in the site plan

Edited by Guest

17 hours ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

Welcome! That said I'm sure the rendering isn't completely up to date, or the site plan for that matter, speaking that it appears there are 4 elevator openings vs. 3 in the site plan

Yeah, and I also noticed the lobby staircase is in a different direction than the illustration.  It's parallel to 6th St. in the illustration, but perpendicular on the plan

Edited by JacksonH

11 hours ago, ertley said:

I'll tell you why: It's precisely *because* of the presence of the theatre building, and the necessity of designing around it, that made this project surpass the usual concept of a glass rectangle and a mediocre adornment at the top. If the city had allowed the developer to simply demolish the theatre building, they would've been able to design a much less challenging, simpler, easier (and yes, cheaper), but less interesting structure--and they abso-f---ing-lutely would've done it.  

There's surely a strong overlap between folks who don't care about historic preservation, or even the rights of small property owners, and those who don't have strong aesthetic sensibilities, so people who care about those things must always challenge at every turn possible their attempts to clear cut entire blocks or large parcels of land--if you want interesting, unique architecture. If you keep as much of the existing structural environment of a city that's truly worth keeping, you not only preserve a variety of architecture, which alone helps preserve a city's unique character, you force the architects and engineers to design less from templates or stock plans or their own preconceived ideas, but create specific and unique designs for each place at hand. 

IMO

Sadly this is a VEd glass box that will be a great project overall, but significantly less impressive than the stakeholders had originally intended. The lobby (hopefully) will be great, and having the theatre available for the events it will be available for will be a game changer for many nonprofits. I'm excited about this project but its significantly cheaper and better than it was meant to be and that was all due to a second hotel partner coming in and demanding cost reductions. The theatre is sucking a lot of the budget and will definitely surprise people, especially the seating/floor system!

The seating/floor system will be similar to this:

Edited by CLT>
added link
  • Thanks 2