Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

33 minutes ago, DMann said:

Could that fourth lobby elevator door be for an express elevator to the roof top restaurant?

Since it appears to go to the basement as well, it's probably a freight elevator. But it's possible it's an express to the restaurant and gives the restaurant operations access to the basement via key card.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 8:21 PM, Blue_Devil said:

I all honesty, this project would be world class in almost any city

I agree.  If this were rising in Raleigh, Durham, W-S, Greensboro, Richmond, Columbia, or Birmingham people would be very excited.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I agree.  If this were rising in Raleigh, Durham, W-S, Greensboro, Richmond, Columbia, or Birmingham people would be very excited.

Really? A 2-storey Zaxby's would be world class in some of these cities. I think he meant peer cities and above...perhaps. Raleigh is or is fast approaching peer status. The rest....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, DownEast said:

Really? A 2-storey Zaxby's would be world class in some of these cities. I think he meant peer cities and above...perhaps. Raleigh is or is fast approaching peer status. The rest....

this building will blend in Uptown, it would dominate in all of the previous cities. 

17 hours ago, DownEast said:

I think it’s a great tower.  I mentioned cities in the region where this tower would be the talk of the town.  I regard Charlotte’s peers to be Nashville, Austin, Denver, Salt Lake,  and Portland which are all great cities.   I don’t think that any of those cities would do back flips over this tower although it’s very nice, and neither would the level of cities just above Charlotte (e.g., Seattle, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Minneapolis).    Regional cities  just below Charlotte, however (which I set forth in my earlier post) would love it, as would almost-peer cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Providence, Columbus, OH, Milwaukee, and Indianapolis, all of which also are fabulous.

This will be a great tower.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I agree.  In fact, I think that even more than from a mere skyline perspective, the Raleigh metro is clearly a step below Charlotte.  As noted, I think that Charlotte's peers are Nashville, Austin, Portland, Pittsburgh, Denver, and Salt Lake, which are all pretty awesome cities.  Raleigh's closest peer, to me, is Columbus, Ohio, a state capital with a great university and some decent headquarters. 

If Columbus is a peer city with Raleigh, then Nashville and Austin aren’t peers to Charlotte. I think Charlotte’s peers are Portland, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Orlando, and Baltimore. None of those cities have an InterContinental either (other than the fake one in Austin). The entire Triangle is still smaller than Charlotte was in 2010. 

Edited by TheOneRJ

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

By the time this hotel opens in the mid 2020s everything will be alright for its Aussie owners.

It is gonna to be a ripper mate!

So you mean to tell me this won’t open until the mid 2020s....wtf? 

12 hours ago, navigator319 said:

I’m going to to go with spring/summer 2023.

Why would it even take that long to build. There is no parkin. Just a straight up skinny structure. And it’s only 2020..so another 3 years???