Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

For the family history book my brother is putting together a story about the Carolina Theatre written by my 85 year old mom.

""Dot and I were so excited..  Elvis Presley was coming to the Carolina Theater in person.  He was coming in the evening.  We thought we had plenty of time to see him and we went and got a front row seat in the Theater.  Dot, however, worked the evening shift at Lance INC.  They kept delaying Elvis performance.   We had to watch the clock as Dot had to be at work by about 10:30PM.  Finally he came out and started to singing his first song, then we had to exit the building as it was time to drive Dot to work.  We were disappointed at missing his whole show, but she had to go.  It was embarrassing to leave while he was on stage.   It did not phase his career one bit, that we walked out on him.  Right after that , he became really famous all over  the world.   In fact, our walking out on him, probably just made him work harder to sing so good.""

My aunt Dot was a cracker packer at the Lance factory at 1300 South Blvd.   Mom lost it looks like 85 cents when she had to walk out. 

Here is a story 

http://scottymoore.net/charlotte.html#:~:text=Presley made four appearances at Carolina Theater Friday,Theatre in Charlotte%2C NC - Feb. 10%2C 1956

This project is much more than a slender high rise new hotel it is a great historical preservation project. 

I would have made Dot walk.  LOL. It's not that far. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

For the family history book my brother is putting together a story about the Carolina Theatre written by my 85 year old mom.

""Dot and I were so excited..  Elvis Presley was coming to the Carolina Theater in person.  He was coming in the evening.  We thought we had plenty of time to see him and we went and got a front row seat in the Theater.  Dot, however, worked the evening shift at Lance INC.  They kept delaying Elvis performance.   We had to watch the clock as Dot had to be at work by about 10:30PM.  Finally he came out and started to singing his first song, then we had to exit the building as it was time to drive Dot to work.  We were disappointed at missing his whole show, but she had to go.  It was embarrassing to leave while he was on stage.   It did not phase his career one bit, that we walked out on him.  Right after that , he became really famous all over  the world.   In fact, our walking out on him, probably just made him work harder to sing so good.""

My aunt Dot was a cracker packer at the Lance factory at 1300 South Blvd.   Mom lost it looks like 85 cents when she had to walk out. 

Here is a story 

http://scottymoore.net/charlotte.html#:~:text=Presley made four appearances at Carolina Theater Friday,Theatre in Charlotte%2C NC - Feb. 10%2C 1956

This project is much more than a slender high rise new hotel it is a great historical preservation project. 

Wasn't Lance called Package Products back then? My 98 year old grandfather was the book keeper until he retired. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, TheMightyBK said:

Come down off the cliff, J-Man...it's a building...and when it's done it should be pretty frickin' cool.  A band I used to know had a song called "Patience"...who were they again???

I’m not impatient at all. I just don’t look for any good news off this thread about it anymore. If it gets built cool, if not, ehh ok. To me it wasn’t that unique to begin with but that just my opinion. But I still do wonder why people found this one to be so interesting when the renderings show just another glass box of a tower with no real “wow factor?”

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, j-man said:

I’m not impatient at all. I just don’t look for any good news off this thread about it anymore. If it gets built cool, if not, ehh ok. To me it wasn’t that unique to begin with but that just my opinion. But I still do winter why people found this one to be so interesting when the renderings show just another glass box of a tower with no real “wow factor?”

How dare you say a 400 foot pencil box tower that will never get built is boring? Do you have no decency good sir knight?

fudge this project. In twenty years you wouldn’t know it was there from 277 anyway. But, reasons!

• Haha 2

A very far fetched thought, but I’ll throw it out there. IF the hotel portion stalls, could FFTC efforts fund the first few floors as some type of live/work workforce housing incubator? Could be temporary or lease-controlled. Maybe an education component or college partnerships. Maybe tourism connection through service industry employees. Same with city/county. Surely, they could build something in a way that could be converted or stripped should the need arise. 

Again, just thinking out loud. I know this would be controversial, expensive and a beast to govern. I’d love to hear thoughts.

• Confused 2

21 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I for one am glad to see this project still chugging along even though it is painfully slow.  Once this is built it will be a one of a kind for anywhere else in the Carolinas at least.

I think some only care about quickly seeing yet another tower go up, even if the haste to get it up were to cause the irreplaceable theater to collapse. 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I think some only care about quickly seeing yet another tower go up, even if the haste to get it up were to cause the irreplaceable theater to collapse. 

Is the slowness really engineering challenges or are they just dragging feet because of funding? If it was fully funded you’d think there would be a large crew working on both at the same time. 

Edited by Yeahdoug
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yeahdoug said:

Is the slowness really engineering challenges or are they just dragging feet because of funding? If it was fully funded you’d think there would be a large crew working on both at the same time. 

I mean, there are a few things at play here: 

1. Site size is super small and tight, so the amount of workers that can safely be on site is probably minimal compared to other sites. 

2. Focus on the theater before the hotel 

3. Availability of workers is also tight. So many construction projects need so many workers, and some developers are able to get their large share, leaving few behind. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, JacksonH said:

They could have torn down the theater, rebuilt it with modern materials honoring the original plans, tore that down, rebuilt it again, tore it down, and rebuilt it again in the time it's taken them to not build the hotel tower.  This is the behavior of an outfit that is wildly under capitalized. 

2 hours ago, Yeahdoug said:

It reeks of incompetence, at best, and I say that as somebody who's been involved in far more expensive projects (plural) than this that involved a hell of a lot more than preserving an old theater in a tight spot.

1 minute ago, Rufus said:

3. Availability of workers is also tight. So many construction projects need so many workers, and some developers are able to get their large share, leaving few behind. 

Labor market tightness creates weeks to a couple months long delays not three years.