Andyc545

Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

7 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

I was told that work stopped on this forum! Could the internet have lied to me?

They’ve built six floors. Six elevator shaft floors. In four months. I could have hired the guys I hired  to do my driveway and they would have Gotten as much done in six hours.

i’m not in the “work stopped” camp; I am in the “judge me by what I do not what I say” camp, and this is 1,000,000% hedging. 

But, yeah It should totally take a decade to build a pencil tower.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I am sure your driveway guys know how to work around the tight constraints of this project. 

If you were to see my driveway, it’s more logistically challenging and took more concrete than this, so yeah, they did

Just now, Tyrone Wiggum said:

If you were to see my driveway, it’s more logistically challenging and took more concrete than this, so yeah, they did

Okay

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue_Devil said:

Okay

So you’re saying that legacy Funyun got built floor to roof on its exterior in the same time as it took this project to build six elevator shaft floors? And that’s not a red flag?

surejan.gif

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

So you’re saying that legacy Funyun got built floor to roof on its exterior in the same time as it took this project to build six elevator shaft floors? And that’s not a red flag?

surejan.gif

Okay

• Like 2

Electrical and Plumbing is being laid prior to pouring the concrete for the basement floor of the Theater.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

For the family history book my brother is putting together a story about the Carolina Theatre written by my 85 year old mom.

""Dot and I were so excited..  Elvis Presley was coming to the Carolina Theater in person.  He was coming in the evening.  We thought we had plenty of time to see him and we went and got a front row seat in the Theater.  Dot, however, worked the evening shift at Lance INC.  They kept delaying Elvis performance.   We had to watch the clock as Dot had to be at work by about 10:30PM.  Finally he came out and started to singing his first song, then we had to exit the building as it was time to drive Dot to work.  We were disappointed at missing his whole show, but she had to go.  It was embarrassing to leave while he was on stage.   It did not phase his career one bit, that we walked out on him.  Right after that , he became really famous all over  the world.   In fact, our walking out on him, probably just made him work harder to sing so good.""

My aunt Dot was a cracker packer at the Lance factory at 1300 South Blvd.   Mom lost it looks like 85 cents when she had to walk out. 

Here is a story 

http://scottymoore.net/charlotte.html#:~:text=Presley made four appearances at Carolina Theater Friday,Theatre in Charlotte%2C NC - Feb. 10%2C 1956

This project is much more than a slender high rise new hotel it is a great historical preservation project. 

I would have made Dot walk.  LOL. It's not that far. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

For the family history book my brother is putting together a story about the Carolina Theatre written by my 85 year old mom.

""Dot and I were so excited..  Elvis Presley was coming to the Carolina Theater in person.  He was coming in the evening.  We thought we had plenty of time to see him and we went and got a front row seat in the Theater.  Dot, however, worked the evening shift at Lance INC.  They kept delaying Elvis performance.   We had to watch the clock as Dot had to be at work by about 10:30PM.  Finally he came out and started to singing his first song, then we had to exit the building as it was time to drive Dot to work.  We were disappointed at missing his whole show, but she had to go.  It was embarrassing to leave while he was on stage.   It did not phase his career one bit, that we walked out on him.  Right after that , he became really famous all over  the world.   In fact, our walking out on him, probably just made him work harder to sing so good.""

My aunt Dot was a cracker packer at the Lance factory at 1300 South Blvd.   Mom lost it looks like 85 cents when she had to walk out. 

Here is a story 

http://scottymoore.net/charlotte.html#:~:text=Presley made four appearances at Carolina Theater Friday,Theatre in Charlotte%2C NC - Feb. 10%2C 1956

This project is much more than a slender high rise new hotel it is a great historical preservation project. 

Wasn't Lance called Package Products back then? My 98 year old grandfather was the book keeper until he retired. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, likewyatt said:

Wasn't Lance called Package Products back then? My 98 year old grandfather was the book keeper until he retired. 

Not sure was called Lance back in the 1950s but not sure before that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DMann said:

Holy Rebar Batman, shades of 210 Trade!

IMG_0577.jpg

Oh ye of little faith!  Don't you worry they'll have that seventh elevator floor poured by Halloween!  And then we'll all make excuses for why the 8th floor won't get poured before Xmas!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah I’m done with this one. Wish it was complete when it was supposed to like 3 years ago. Lol. But I won’t complain if this never gets done. I mean, it wasn’t the most exciting project to begin with. 

• Sad 1

Come down off the cliff, J-Man...it's a building...and when it's done it should be pretty frickin' cool.  A band I used to know had a song called "Patience"...who were they again???

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheMightyBK said:

Come down off the cliff, J-Man...it's a building...and when it's done it should be pretty frickin' cool.  A band I used to know had a song called "Patience"...who were they again???

I’m not impatient at all. I just don’t look for any good news off this thread about it anymore. If it gets built cool, if not, ehh ok. To me it wasn’t that unique to begin with but that just my opinion. But I still do wonder why people found this one to be so interesting when the renderings show just another glass box of a tower with no real “wow factor?”

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, j-man said:

I’m not impatient at all. I just don’t look for any good news off this thread about it anymore. If it gets built cool, if not, ehh ok. To me it wasn’t that unique to begin with but that just my opinion. But I still do winter why people found this one to be so interesting when the renderings show just another glass box of a tower with no real “wow factor?”

How dare you say a 400 foot pencil box tower that will never get built is boring? Do you have no decency good sir knight?

fudge this project. In twenty years you wouldn’t know it was there from 277 anyway. But, reasons!

• Haha 2

A very far fetched thought, but I’ll throw it out there. IF the hotel portion stalls, could FFTC efforts fund the first few floors as some type of live/work workforce housing incubator? Could be temporary or lease-controlled. Maybe an education component or college partnerships. Maybe tourism connection through service industry employees. Same with city/county. Surely, they could build something in a way that could be converted or stripped should the need arise. 

Again, just thinking out loud. I know this would be controversial, expensive and a beast to govern. I’d love to hear thoughts.

• Confused 2