Andyc545

Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

On 7/31/2020 at 12:21 PM, j-man said:

Yeah I’m done with this one. Wish it was complete when it was supposed to like 3 years ago. Lol. But I won’t complain if this never gets done. I mean, it wasn’t the most exciting project to begin with. 

Thanks for the contribution, j-man

3 hours ago, Urban Cowboy said:

Thanks for the contribution, j-man

Anytime, anytime on this public platform. :tw_wink:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I for one am glad to see this project still chugging along even though it is painfully slow.  Once this is built it will be a one of a kind for anywhere else in the Carolinas at least.

I think some only care about quickly seeing yet another tower go up, even if the haste to get it up were to cause the irreplaceable theater to collapse. 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I think some only care about quickly seeing yet another tower go up, even if the haste to get it up were to cause the irreplaceable theater to collapse. 

Is the slowness really engineering challenges or are they just dragging feet because of funding? If it was fully funded you’d think there would be a large crew working on both at the same time. 

Edited by Yeahdoug
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yeahdoug said:

Is the slowness really engineering challenges or are they just dragging feet because of funding? If it was fully funded you’d think there would be a large crew working on both at the same time. 

I mean, there are a few things at play here: 

1. Site size is super small and tight, so the amount of workers that can safely be on site is probably minimal compared to other sites. 

2. Focus on the theater before the hotel 

3. Availability of workers is also tight. So many construction projects need so many workers, and some developers are able to get their large share, leaving few behind. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, JacksonH said:

They could have torn down the theater, rebuilt it with modern materials honoring the original plans, tore that down, rebuilt it again, tore it down, and rebuilt it again in the time it's taken them to not build the hotel tower.  This is the behavior of an outfit that is wildly under capitalized. 

2 hours ago, Yeahdoug said:

It reeks of incompetence, at best, and I say that as somebody who's been involved in far more expensive projects (plural) than this that involved a hell of a lot more than preserving an old theater in a tight spot.

1 minute ago, Rufus said:

3. Availability of workers is also tight. So many construction projects need so many workers, and some developers are able to get their large share, leaving few behind. 

Labor market tightness creates weeks to a couple months long delays not three years.