Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 2:42 PM, CLT @❤️ said:

Construction workers on site today confirmed that this Project (the hotel portion) is going vertical. 

1st Qtr 2022 is around when the tower will pick back up. The project is leveraged toward an air right sale making it viable, a hotel will be built, just won't be this year or next.

Edited by The Real Clayton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I might be wrong, but I think a fundamental misconception on this project is they "stopped" building the tower.  I believe what was built was the elevator core for the theatre and FOTC office space.  The hotel would "begin" after buildable air rights are delivered.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

An air right sale? Just making sure I understand it all. The plan for many years has been a 420’ tower, which they started construction on finally at the end of 2018 (I think) and are above ground now with both a concrete core and a steel frame now being erected but they don’t have air rights secured yet? They are going to build up to encapsulate the 5 or 6 story concrete core and stop? Then pick back up again in 2022? (Although, the speed this project has been going maybe it’s perfectly paced and work won’t stop at all, hahaha! ;-)
Does this happen often - tower construction without air rights ?
How are some coming by their construction progress timetable/info for this tower?
(The beer bug put a damper on several hotels to be built. Is it really an air right thing or is it more to do with pacing based on how the bug phases out or not?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean, you don't actually buy the air rights until the supporting structure is there.  I believe a letter of intent to purchase would be in place.

If I'm the hotel developer, I'm not paying you $5mm today for the air rights (or maybe it's an air rights lease say $200k per year for 99 years? ) and just hope you build the theatre/my hotel base.

• Like 2

I mean, you don't actually buy the air rights until the supporting structure is there.  I believe a letter of intent to purchase would be in place.
If I'm the hotel developer, I'm not paying you $5mm today for the air rights (or maybe it's an air rights lease say $200k per year for 99 years? ) and just hope you build the theatre/my hotel base.

Gotcha. So the tower needs air rights because it will cantilever over the theater, correct?
Which is where they stopped with the concrete core.
I had assumed that the theater and the tower were by the same owners/developers so that air rights wouldn’t be a thing here. It seems not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2