Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

I do believe a hotel can be built at this site but travel may have to get to some sort of normalcy first and this could take a few years. I do think business travel will be down for a long  time but without full stadiums, arenas, plays it just really hurts uptown hotels.   What I don't think will happen anytime soon is a huge 800-1000 room hotel.  This Intercontinental was only going be 256 rooms or so. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

The Fortune 500 I work for in the DC area had to address whether we will continue to have flexibility to work remotely. 

A company surveyed showed an overwhelming amount of people like teleworking with a bunch of comments. We were very flexible and had at least 1 telework day a week pre-Covid. Until it became inevitable with stay at home orders. 

A video was sent out that we all will be returning to work because there is value in interactions. Whether it’s even just social, in the elevators - it will help us be more innovative to have that communication. In addition, he said it’s too hard to collaborate on video conferencing because multiple people can’t talk at the same time.

At BofA, from what my friends told me (at least in GT&O) they were very reluctant to telework for Covid. They started to even have 1/2 the workers come in 1 week and rotate. 

I think everything will go back to status quo. DC and the suburbs continue to break ground on new & large projects. And I think I’ve seen some Raleigh announcements and maybe even Charlotte. There have been no projects put on hold due to Covid I’ve seen. 

The company I work for will have us all in the office as soon as this is over. I wouldn't be surprised if it is by June with employment mandated vaccinations. 

5 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

The company I work for will have us all in the office as soon as this is over. I wouldn't be surprised if it is by June with employment mandated vaccinations. 

I think if this lasted for a few months, companies would’ve adjusted to telework being more integral. 

Dragging on for literally an entire year seems to have made companies turned off from the idea. Based only on people I know and their company communications.

:) maybe with all the cramming companies were  doing will reverse back to more spacious work areas. We had “space modernization” that squeezed us all in small areas when I started my current company and when I started at BofA in Corp. center, it too went to tiny areas. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2020 at 3:04 AM, King of the Queen City said:

Another thing to be considered is that the pandemic may have changed the business world permanently to some degree. Virtual meetings through Zoom, etc. may eliminate the need for business travel in some cases and the ability to work remotely may reduce the amount of office space needed (though I think most people prefer to work in person and will have cabin fever when all this is over if they don’t already).  I read an article somewhere suggesting that we are never going back to the old economy but to an altered economy.  That’s not to say that it won’t recover, but that it will be different.

I know you aren't saying completely eliminated but through personal experience I have been working on projects over the past year that have been dragging on for months over zoom that could have been wrapped up in 2 weeks in person.

Being in person was somewhat mandatory for most positions that were traveling  regularly pre-COVID . Whether its that in person touch in negotiations/sales or a client wanting the consultant they are paying big money for to be on site. Will flying to Tampa for a lunch meeting end? Yeah probably but I would say the vast majority of travel will continue once companies lift their travel suspensions.

• Like 2

I hate that it is not going up now, but I recall talking with someone a while back about the Library project and was told it will not start until the Intercontinental was done.  Reason being that 6th Street would be a nightmare with activity on both sides.  So, any knowledgeable people out there with any information if the Library project might get accelerated?

• Like 4