Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

the old Montaldos store is a great historical save for Charlotte.  when BofA wanted to develop what is now known as Truist Tower the bought the building.  They donated it to the Foundation for the Carolinas.  It is a great building and does look like the buildings on any Euro city. It was a very upscale store the entire length it was opened as such.  My poor mother and her sisters never went in it because they knew they could not afford it when they were in the 20s. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Yo Diaz! said:

I kind of think they will. I think they are slow rolling it. Awhile back air rights acquisition was discussed. The Thing I didn’t understand about that was starting construction before rights were attained. Anyone know, does that happen a lot?
Vaccines are happing. The world is unclenching a bit I think.
If they put a roof on this and complete this little portion and open in a year or so for business I don’t see it ever going under construction again to rise anymore as a tower.
Does anyone here have credible up to date info on what is gonna happen with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought SB&G already had air rights secured for this, but somebody could correct me if I'm wrong. The US might be unclenching a bit, but they mostly own hotels globally and have been hit extremely hard during this time. I agree with you though that if they don't do the hotel now, it would be very difficult to restart construction, but if they can buy another few months to make that decision while they build out the Carolina Theatre than maybe it could still go

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 9:10 PM, Yo Diaz! said:

I kind of think they will. I think they are slow rolling it. Awhile back air rights acquisition was discussed. The Thing I didn’t understand about that was starting construction before rights were attained. Anyone know, does that happen a lot?
Vaccines are happing. The world is unclenching a bit I think.
If they put a roof on this and complete this little portion and open in a year or so for business I don’t see it ever going under construction again to rise anymore as a tower.
Does anyone here have credible up to date info on what is gonna happen with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly! I don’t see them really roofing this and then deconstructing the roof to then continue the hotel on top. I feel like it would be a done deal. And I hate to say it....I liked the idea of the hotel but they are probably better off acquiring some nearby land and developing a large hotel nearby. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 8:15 PM, j-man said:

Exactly! I don’t see them really roofing this and then deconstructing the roof to then continue the hotel on top. I feel like it would be a done deal. And I hate to say it....I liked the idea of the hotel but they are probably better off acquiring some nearby land and developing a large hotel nearby. 

You could be right but there's no need to be so pessimistic. A dollop of hope can go a long way. :)

• Like 3