Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I don't have a subscription, but are there any interesting tidbits in this article that we don't know yet?

What’s the plan for Carolina Theatre with rooftop luxury hotel? It’s complicated.

Not really.  Other than this bit that says it’s not cancelled, just on indefinite hold for now.  Which actually isn’t news, so I guess no, there is no news  contained herein. 

Smith said the companies don’t have a firm date for when they might start work on the hotel.

There’s been no indication that they plan not to go forward,” she said. “It’s just that the world has changed a bit since we’ve started.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, theronhobbs said:

We're experiencing 6 to 8-month lead times right now for steel, and costs have nearly doubled since pre-COVID levels. There are only 3 major manufacturers of steel decking and joists in the US, and even 12 regional suppliers are subsidiaries of 2 of the same 3 national companies. 

I can echo this statement with our experiences as well. Coil steel (decking/bar joist) is outrageous right now, especially on lead times for bar joist which is putting many projects out towards the end of this year already just to get materials. Heard another mill was to be up and running in TX later this year which may start to relieve some pressure into next year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Poo Diddy said:

This right here.  I work more with aluminum than steel.  Mills are rationing supply of aluminum and generally the auto manufactures get top priority as they are buying high grade aluminum.  Building product manufactures are lower on the chart and have to do with the limited supply.  The biggest constraint we are facing is the labor shortage.  It's quickly headed to crisis levels.  I can personally attest some building product factories are operating with half their normal staffing levels.  In the past 4 months we've seen lead times go from 6-8 weeks to 12-14 weeks.  It's creating a mess for onsite job progress.

Labor shortage due to people not wanting to go back to work because they’re making more sitting at home collecting unemployment. Sad.

7 minutes ago, jthomas said:

*citation needed*

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-05/businesses-can-t-fill-jobs-despite-high-u-s-unemployment

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/dining/restaurant-worker-shortage.html

From NY Times article: 

Restaurateurs say many former employees are choosing not to re-enter the work force at a time when they can make nearly as much or more by collecting unemployment benefits.

“You have some cases where it’s more profitable to not work than to work, and you can’t really fault people for wanting to hold on to that as long as possible,” Mr. Fox said.

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, gman430 said:

Labor shortage due to people not wanting to go back to work because they’re making more sitting at home collecting unemployment. Sad.

Labor shortage due to MARGINALIZED people not wanting to RISK THEIR LIVES FOR POVERTY WAGES because they’re PROVIDING more at home EARNING unemployment. Smart.

I find it easier to not judge the decision making or circumstances of people I don’t know and probably can’t relate to. Every person and every business has responded differently the last 13 months. I think EVERYONE from every background deserves a little grace. I know several people who have died from COVID - and I can’t blame anyone for not wanting to risk their lives to make minimum wage.

Once everyone is eligible for the vaccine, and we’re all vaccinated...Then by all means, let’s get back to work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

Labor shortage due to MARGINALIZED people not wanting to RISK THEIR LIVES FOR POVERTY WAGES because they’re PROVIDING more at home EARNING unemployment. Smart.

I find it easier to not judge the decision making or circumstances of people I don’t know and probably can’t relate to. Every person and every business has responded differently the last 13 months. I think EVERYONE from every background deserves a little grace. I know several people who have died from COVID - and I can’t blame anyone for not wanting to risk their lives to make minimum wage.

Once everyone is eligible for the vaccine, and we’re all vaccinated...Then by all means, let’s get back to work. 

That’s great and all but some of us work at an essential business and couldn’t take off work no matter if we thought it was safe or not due to Covid. I personally was never furloughed and had to show up for work everyday. That holds true to this day. 

If us essential workers have to go to work these other people should have to also instead of enjoying a free ride by the government that does nothing but add to the national deficit.

:offtopic:

Edited by gman430
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2