Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Thanks for the pics SV! Despite the small footprint this is being constructed on, the lobby looks pretty big with some context around it now. That’s going to be a grand lobby with those tall glass windows!  Great project, just hope the hotel pans out someday. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the up to date one

Got a better view for y'all from the 5th 3rd building 

Today 11:00 a.m.

Posted Images

from the Biz Journal this morning on the completion and opening of the Carolina Theater
""Michael Marsicano, president and CEO of the Foundation For The Carolinas, which owns the site, now expects the historic theater to finish construction around the middle of 2022.  Marsicano's remarks came during a virtual event hosted by the World Affairs Council of Charlotte yesterday, reports local NPR affiliate WFAE-FM. He detailed unexpected environmental problems and other delays the project has faced, much of which has been previously reported by CBJ. Back in early 2020, the theater restoration was expected to wrap up by mid-2021. Since that time, the planned construction of an Intercontinental Hotel at the site has been put on hold.  "The bottom line here is that it will be completed in the summer of 2022, I guarantee it, and it will open in the fall of 2022 to a weeklong celebration," Marsicano said during yesterday's talk, per WFAE.""
BUZZ: New target for wrapping up work on Carolina Theatre - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

It takes what it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I wonder if there was any signage going up for this project like an outdoor video wall at this location.  It would look fantastic with the theatre with marquee shows and other local ads on it.  I'm pretty sure permitting wouldn't be a big issue because it's more of the area being more commercial and office than residential.  Would love to see some more LED screens up and down Tryon street.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I don't have a subscription, but are there any interesting tidbits in this article that we don't know yet?

What’s the plan for Carolina Theatre with rooftop luxury hotel? It’s complicated.

Not really.  Other than this bit that says it’s not cancelled, just on indefinite hold for now.  Which actually isn’t news, so I guess no, there is no news  contained herein. 

Smith said the companies don’t have a firm date for when they might start work on the hotel.

There’s been no indication that they plan not to go forward,” she said. “It’s just that the world has changed a bit since we’ve started.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, theronhobbs said:

We're experiencing 6 to 8-month lead times right now for steel, and costs have nearly doubled since pre-COVID levels. There are only 3 major manufacturers of steel decking and joists in the US, and even 12 regional suppliers are subsidiaries of 2 of the same 3 national companies. 

I can echo this statement with our experiences as well. Coil steel (decking/bar joist) is outrageous right now, especially on lead times for bar joist which is putting many projects out towards the end of this year already just to get materials. Heard another mill was to be up and running in TX later this year which may start to relieve some pressure into next year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Buying a laundry set, washer and dryer, delayed for weeks at least, months in many cases due to supply issues including steel, chips, and supply chain issues. If you need a new laundry appliance take what you can get. I know.

• Like 2