Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

On 5/6/2022 at 9:35 AM, carolinaboy said:

That looks terrible.

Yeah. This is the definition of “glass box.” Never was a fan of the hotel renderings either. Too boring. I need texture and more than bland straight lines. 

On 5/6/2022 at 10:13 AM, theronhobbs said:

Since this glass jewel will be no more than 5' off the back of curb, has any consideration been given to protecting the building from vehicular traffic at the intersection? Even if there's room,  a couple, beautiful, OSHA-yellow bollards would look great here after a car plows into the lobby a month after it opens in 2037.

its 15 feet off back of curb

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 11:19 AM, jtmonk said:

It's more than 5' off the back of curb, the construction fence blocks most of the sidewalk in that picture.   However, on the 6th street side you have a section of sidewalk that's 6' wide.  It's always been that way but the City is installing separated bike lanes here with a raised curb so you'll have plenty of separation from traffic.

image.png.7b474a210d426e346eebfa593e427f77.png.3daebc6b6b5ce7814e7ca1f53efc5b8c.png

On 5/8/2022 at 9:40 AM, CLT Development said:

its 15 feet off back of curb

Thanks for the site plan. I was referring to 6th Street, not so much Tryon. The work on 6th Street will help improve the experience along this narrow stretch of sidewalk. Good news.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 11:27 PM, Desert Power said:

So the bike lane moves from the right lane on 6th to the left one somewhere? That sounds fun...

Yeah I noticed that as well, is there any explanation for that because it looks like a monumental oversight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

It is interesting to me how many theaters of this classic age were named for the state they were in. I know of a few myself:  Carolina, Indiana, Tennessee, California, and more than one in the state with that name. Not creative but a pride of place. I am sure that a search will discover many other state-named theaters and maybe more if including those now gone.

And in 1921, The  Virginia Theatre opened . . . in Champaign, Illinois.

• Haha 1