Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is a Carolina Theater opened and still in business since 1927 in downtown Greensboro.   My grandmother would have gone here more than likely. 

Plus there is one in Durham opened too.  Oh yeah one in Winston Salem too just called Stevens Center part of the NC School of the Arts.  

One day Charlotte will rejoin this club. 

IMG_6795.JPG

IMG_6796.JPG

Asheboro also had a Carolina Theater, and also Hickory.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 3:44 PM, nicholas said:

Yeah I noticed that as well, is there any explanation for that because it looks like a monumental oversight.

I believe it was moved to the South Side of the street till the library/7th&Tryon project is complete,  then will shift back to the North side, that will also allow for the hotel loading zone to not be in a cycleway. But will be interesting to see  if they put in cycle specific lights otherwise cyclists will be diagonally crossing an intersection twice...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the past 4 weeks they have unwrapped the cladding put on the elevator shaft for the Intercontinental and replaced it with different cladding called ExP.  I do not know if that is good or bad.  Can anyone weigh in on that?

1 hour ago, DMann said:

In the past 4 weeks they have unwrapped the cladding put on the elevator shaft for the Intercontinental and replaced it with different cladding called ExP.  I do not know if that is good or bad.  Can anyone weigh in on that?

Gold Bond eXP Sheathing is just standard 1/2" exterior gypsum board. I'm hypothesizing, but it'll likely be wrapped in a vapor barrier/house wrap layer and maybe some finish material until construction on the hotel starts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1