Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

11 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Plaza was a solid theater and owned by the Schrader family, along with the Visulite on Elizabeth. I saw a strange and compelling movie there called Fantastic Planet, also known as Oms En Serie. Animated and without spoken language, and to a mildly herbed viewer it was an astounding conceptual achievement. I saw it later, somewhere, sober and it still had a punch. Animation is less formed by the time of its creation. I should check to see if it is available anywhere.

A few years later Plaza went blue and they played a grand double bill of Devil in Ms Jones and DeepThroat. These are classics of the genre, if I may be allowed to say.  A female friend wanted to have the blue experience and I agreed to accompany her for the performance. It was educational, as she said.*

Visulite remained the art house in Charlotte into the 80's. The Schraders employed a friend of mine, Hal Hinson, to run the place and he booked amazing films there. I saw Kagemusha-Shadow Warrior and Seven Samurai (the origin of The Magnificent Seven) by Kurosawa, Mean Streets by Scorsese, Kentucky Fried Movie, and a few others now lost to memory. Hal Hinson went on to be a well regarded film critic for newspapers in D. C., S.t Louis and maybe elsewhere as I lost connections with him when he departed Charlotte and followed him from afar.

*yes, I had some interesting friends.

Edit movie title. It was Devil IN Ms Jones, not AND Ms Jones.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-devil-in-miss-jones-1973  The star of the movie was Georgina Spelvin. George Spelvin is the name commonly and traditionally used by actors who, for whatever reason, prefer to be acknowledged anonymously. Thus "Georgina" Spelvin. 

You'll appreciate this one: My dad used to work at a theater down the street from The Carolina when he was 11 (during The Depression). He met his best, life-long buddy there, also 11.  They sold popcorn, dressed up as mascots and walked up and down the sidewalk, and swept after the "Saturday afternoon farmers spit their tabacco in the isles".  This was the early 30's.  His best buddy continued into his old age selling concessions to theaters through out The South and did well for himself. (Last name 'Wayne' if that should ring any bells)  His business was on "Film Row". I know you know where that was.  Eventually, he was forced to move out so he relocated to Mint Street where they later condemned his property for the stadium. That last move killed him and he died while in his 70s.  Both he and my dad had a ton of stories about the old movies. Mostly Western shoot em up things.  Do you remember the name of the old theater where they might have worked? It was apparently a little lower on the scale than The Carolina.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...