Belk Place: Carolina Theater and Hotel Intercontinental

Andyc545

5 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

So with rising interest rates, what are the odds this hotel misses the boat a second time?   Wait long enough and some economic calamity will derail you every time… if it even was back on the table, which I honestly have no idea.  This project is so opaque. 

At this point I’d rather them just hurry and finish what’s built and clear the construction site than to prolong and hope for a hotel. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, j-man said:

At this point I’d rather them just hurry and finish what’s built and clear the construction site than to prolong and hope for a hotel. 

I don’t completely disagree, but all those potential hotel guests wandering around and supporting restaurants and bars on the north end of town has to count for something.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

I don’t completely disagree, but all those potential hotel guests wandering around and supporting restaurants and bars on the north end of town has to count for something.  

Agree, plus I think Truist would be the biggest advocate for this hotel being built as well (which is why I’m bullish on it eventually being built). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turbocraig said:

So with rising interest rates, what are the odds this hotel misses the boat a second time?   Wait long enough and some economic calamity will derail you every time… if it even was back on the table, which I honestly have no idea.  This project is so opaque. 

it is being financed by EB 5  Visa holders I think so it should be good money from foreign citizens that invest in a project in the US that creates jobs.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, j-man said:

How dare you! Lol .. The Intercontinental Hotel is needed in this part of Uptown I'd think. What was the last hotel built in that area? Everything has been centered near Spectrum for years now. 

5 hours ago, Take2 said:

How dare you! Lol .. The Intercontinental Hotel is needed in this part of Uptown I'd think. What was the last hotel built in that area? Everything has been centered near Spectrum for years now. 

I’d love the hotel but this construction site has been an eyesore. Like they've been building this bottom portion for nearly three years at this point. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

I’d love the hotel but this construction site has been an eyesore like this building this bottom portion for nearly three years at this point. 

I will say it’s rather annoying it’s taken so long but this is a delicate site and to avoid causing unnecessary irreparable damage it has needed to take this long… the outside is just a product of what’s going on inside this structure.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JeanClt said:

I will say it’s rather annoying it’s taken so long but this is a delicate site and to avoid causing unnecessary irreparable damage it has needed to take this long… the outside is just a product of what’s going on inside this structure.

Yeah inside of the actual theatre but this new glass structure is still empty on the inside and far from finished. That is the part that I am talking about. I'm all for historic preservation and know it takes time but this just feels like a hazardous construction site.  

If we don’t see work beginning on the Hotel portion of this project by this time next year, I’d worry it won’t take place.  Has been maddeningly slow but progress is being made.  Hopefully they (Cleveland Construction) clear the decks for the High-Rise Contractor to mobilize in next year.  (Unless they’re over the High-Rise Portion too…..)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
They need to hurry up. Honestly have had the road blocked and construction mess for far too long for a building this size. 

It’s clear that it is not about the size. If it were then it would have already been done years ago as you infer. Ignorance can be dangerous.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2022 at 6:59 AM, j-man said:

I’d love the hotel but this construction site has been an eyesore. Like they've been building this bottom portion for nearly three years at this point. 

I can definitely understand that. At least now with the new apartments just announced nearby and the library property amping up maybe the  pace at the Carolina Theater site won't feel so slow.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...