Stone Avenue Projects

gs3

Could Stone Avenue be the next West End?

Not sure if you guys have noticed, but the city has done extensive new plantings down Stone Avenue, along the sides and in medians......this in addition to the new pieces of sculpture. With this area bridging downtown and North Main, it seems ready to take off with development. Places like the Handlebar, Bohemian Cafe, Horizon, a couple of new yoga studios, a new coffee shop coming soon, etc, have set up shop on Stone.

Photos below of an old 50's/60's bank branch, that is being sold and marketed to restaurants. Look at the rendering of what COULD be done with this building. Could be cool with a little work and a little vision. :)

DSC03116.jpg

DSC03114.jpg

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stone Ave. has been undergoing a mini-boom. Several new office construction projects are recently completed or underway. Another one appears to be in the work near the Townes/Stone intersection.

Also, The Wade Hampton/ Earle St. intersection has an old Auto repair show that is being renovated into what looks like more upscale restaurant or retail space.

The Fred Collins property at Main and Stone is a VERY key to opening up the entire Stone corridor and extending DT to Stone.

A McBee Station type development would be ideal toward that end. I don't know if the demographics would support that, but that is the ideal situation.

To answer the question at the top of this thread, yes, Stone Avenue could easily become a similar type of place, though it would likely be called the North End. Obviously it won't have an anchor like West End Field, but it could easily boast as many shops and galleries along with village-style residential units and possibly other forms of entertainment.

... The Fred Collins property at Main and Stone is a VERY key to opening up the entire Stone corridor and extending DT to Stone...

Have y'all noticed that the buildings on both North Main and Stone Ave. that abut the Collins property are slowly being emptied of tenants? Also, that old bar at the corner of Rowley and Stone was torn down a few days ago, as was that one house on Rowley (I'm thinking it was 33 Rowley) that was sitting just outside the East Park Historic District sign. And the music store that sits next to the old bar has been empty for some months now; I don't think there is a for rent sign in the window. It'll be interesting to see what develops.

Mention was made in the paper today about a possible Bloom store in the North End (LOL, I guess, I'm going to just start calling it that), where Stone Ave. meets Church St.

http://news.greenvilleonline.com/blogs/sup...rocery_sto.html

That seems more like and east end to me. Would the North end but more in line with the Pete Hollis Gateway. Guess I'm kind of partial to that area as I drive through there on the way from downtown to my house.

Could Stone Avenue be the next West End?

Not sure if you guys have noticed, but the city has done extensive new plantings down Stone Avenue, along the sides and in medians......this in addition to the new pieces of sculpture. With this area bridging downtown and North Main, it seems ready to take off with development. Places like the Handlebar, Bohemian Cafe, Horizon, a couple of new yoga studios, a new coffee shop coming soon, etc, have set up shop on Stone.

Photos below of an old 50's/60's bank branch, that is being sold and marketed to restaurants. Look at the rendering of what COULD be done with this building. Could be cool with a little work and a little vision. :)

DSC03116.jpg

DSC03114.jpg

I may be wrong but I think the person redeveloping this building is the same one who did hte old service station next to the Handle Bar and is doing the Old Service station at Wade Hampton and Stone.

I may be wrong but I think the person redeveloping this building is the same one who did hte old service station next to the Handle Bar and is doing the Old Service station at Wade Hampton and Stone.

Kudos to this person. The gas station turned office/retail by the Handlebar is an excellent re-use. I hope to see much more of this along Stone. :thumbsup:

The merchants in this area have already identified this area as the northend. http://www.greenvillenorthend.com/

I definitely think this area could take off. I heard a rumor about a grocery store on stone a few months ago. I think a Bloom would do well there. I live right around the corner from this area and I would love to see it develop but I think it is going to take some time. I think the demographics in the N. Main area could support a lot of retail. There is a nice relatively new townhouse development right down bennett st. and the edge on N. Main will be done soon. It really isn't that bad of a walk to the heart of downtown from here but the W. End is pushing it.

• 2 weeks later...

They were demolishing the big red brick house at the intersection of Stone and Main St this morning across form Bohemian and Eckerds(Rite aid). Hopefully some big plans for this corner.

You just made my day !! There had been a demo company's sign in front of it awhile back and then it disappeared. i had lost hope of seeing anything in the near term hapen with it. Hopefully a major mixed use project will go there. :yahoo:

Hopefully this means something IS finally going to happen on that site. There was a smal SF house in that same block recently razed as well.

Somewhere buried in one of these threads, was a post from someone about a future mixed use around North Main and Stone. Anybody else remember that?

I saw this demo too, but the old gas station at the corner is still there, perhaps it is next? I think btoy talked about a possible proposal for this site some time back (I think its callled the "Collins Property") but I don't remember any details, or if anything is still planned. This could just be demo of eyesores, like what is happening in the Green st neighborhood (they demo'ed another one there today too, and the Eagle Iron works site had a landscaper out front this afternoon). Btoy?

This old service service station where Stone meets Wade Hampton is being renovated into retail/office.

DSC03356.jpg

Cool. I really like this style. It's got a funky modern twist to it. Almost an Art Deco look. Could the North End be developing its own identity? It looks remarkably similar to the rendering of another North End building posted a few posts up.

Cool. I really like this style. It's got a funky modern twist to it. Almost an Art Deco look. Could the North End be developing its own identity? It looks remarkably similar to the rendering of another North End building posted a few posts up.

Stone Avenue / North End does have much architecture from the 50's/60's era. I hope as much re-use as possible can happen (as opposed to level and re-build) with these structures. I'm glad the old Sears building is a corporate headquarters and major source of employment, but wow, wouldn't it have made great loft living!

Great to see North End taking off and picking up momentum, and hopefully as you say, it can develop a distinct identity.

Drove by there today, the gas station is history. I hope whatever they put here is a quality development. This side on main st. needs some more improvements and quality developments.

I'm glad the red brick house is gone, but kind of sad about the gas station. I had hopes that someone with vision would take the gas station and remodel it into a cool, urban bar / restaurant.....outdoor dining under the canopies....would have been a great people watching location (or depending on the crowd, "stand and model") on that corner. My favorite restaurant in Little Rock is an old gas station turned hip nightspot in The Heights. Oh well, hope something fantastic is built here.

That whole property, save a lot or two is owned by Collins Ent. Rumor has it that they won't put anything silly (another drugstore) on it. They want something that will add to the vibe and integrity that part of town is developing.

I hope they follow through on it, they have the time and money to wait.

I hope their plans are successful! BTW, welcome to the forum!

The gas station and the remuddled brick house next to it are gone, rubble and all. The abandoned brick building fronting on Main (but further south) is being demoed now. That tract looks so big now, and will only look bigger once the Trojan Labor place is gone too.

I sure hope we hear something soon on this one, and it doesn't just sit vacant for months. Although that is better than with the ratty looking buildings there, nonetheless.

Archived