Stone Avenue Projects

gs3

The gas station and the remuddled brick house next to it are gone, rubble and all. The abandoned brick building fronting on Main (but further south) is being demoed now. That tract looks so big now, and will only look bigger once the Trojan Labor place is gone too.

I sure hope we hear something soon on this one, and it doesn't just sit vacant for months. Although that is better than with the ratty looking buildings there, nonetheless.

I'm surprised that we haven't heard anything yet. It's a large scale thing that is happening apparently. It seems odd that we're all still sitting in the dark. It's exciting nonetheless.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised that we haven't heard anything yet. It's a large scale thing that is happening apparently. It seems odd that we're all still sitting in the dark. It's exciting nonetheless.

Everyone around this neighborhood (Earle Street/North Main) is watching this site. As others on the forum have pointed out, development of this corner presents an opportunity to put some life into this dreary stretch of North Main Street, serve as an anchor for improvements to Stone Avenue and connect the North Main neighborhood into Greenville

A McBee-type development would be great -- parking hidden from the street; shops/restaurants along the sidewalk. A lot of people in this area, myself included, routinely walk or take the trolley downtown. A well-planned, pedestrian oriented developemnt would be a big draw among the North Main community and Park Avenue districts. McBee Station has much to recommend, but personally I am disappointed in the architecture of the condo part of the development, particularly the bland facades facing south. I imagine in time the trees will grow and soften the view.

...but personally I am disappointed in the architecture of the condo part of the development, particularly the bland facades facing south. I imagine in time the trees will grow and soften the view.

Are you referring to the apartment buildings? I agree that they are bland.

Are you referring to the apartment buildings? I agree that they are bland.

That's right -- the apartments with the stucco panels and the fire escape-looking balconies. They are probably nice enoungh on the inside. Anyway, that is the type of project that would fit in well on North Main and Stone, with more inspired architecture.

When an area starts getting its own festival, you know it is becoming a "district". North End will be the setting for StoneFest. October 8 through 14. This years event definitely looks to have grown over last year.

Website for the event:

http://www.stonefest.net/

Do they close down Stone Ave for this or where does it take place? It actually sounds like a lot of fun. I hope it continues to grow. I'm sure most people don't know anything about it.

Do they close down Stone Ave for this or where does it take place? It actually sounds like a lot of fun. I hope it continues to grow. I'm sure most people don't know anything about it.

Last year was the first year -- it took place in the grass lot next to the Bohemian Cafe. I think it is the same with this year, with more bands over more days. It is alot of fun and the music is good. They don't close Stone Avenue, but the plan is to grow the event over the years, so eventually they may have to.

Last year was the first year -- it took place in the grass lot next to the Bohemian Cafe. I think it is the same with this year, with more bands over more days. It is alot of fun and the music is good. They don't close Stone Avenue, but the plan is to grow the event over the years, so eventually they may have to.

I see. Thanks! I hope it goes well this year!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This is not Stone Avenue, but it's only a several blocks from where the name changes from Stone to Laurens.

Some money has gone into redoing the exterior of this building, and it looks good. I can't remember what it was like before, but it's great to see some investment in this portion of the exterior of downtown. This is near the Washington Street/Laurens Rd intersection.

(sorry for the picture quality, but I wasn't expecting this to exist, so I tried to get a pic before I passed it by)

2354943057_45bb1bd99a.jpg

• 1 month later...

There was a crew working there today with one of those trucks with a cherry picker. I suppose it was Duke Power working on lines going into the building. Didn't see exactly what they were doing though. They were in back of the building - next to it.

• 3 weeks later...

That little Flat-iron building at the intersection of Stone, Wade Hampton and Chick Springs is open as a Coffe Shop called "Fix"

Looks pretty cool. They have put in a 2nd floor with a spiral staircase to asscess it.

Hope it does well.

That little Flat-iron building at the intersection of Stone, Wade Hampton and Chick Springs is open as a Coffe Shop called "Fix"

Looks pretty cool. They have put in a 2nd floor with a spiral staircase to asscess it.

Hope it does well.

Hmm, I need to check that out. I didn't know that was happening...and it's really, really close to my house.

Archived