Stone Avenue Projects

gs3

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They said today on the WORD FM that there is going to be a Waffle House built on the corner of Stone and Main. Stay classy Greenville.

Why stop with a Waffle House?

:sick: Make it a really nice development and add a Piggly Wiggly. (sarcasm intended)

Moooo.

They said today on the WORD FM that there is going to be a Waffle House built on the corner of Stone and Main. Stay classy Greenville.

Awful awful awful...I heard the rumor but hadn't heard anything definite yet. Everyone on Earle St is pissed. I really hope this somehow doesn't happen...but it probably will. I hope it burns to the ground.

Why stop with a Waffle House?

:sick: Make it a really nice development and add a Piggly Wiggly. (sarcasm intended)

Moooo.

What's wrong with Waffle House? :dontknow: I like the place myself. Glad to see them potentially coming to Stone Avenue. :) Oh and I don't see anything wrong with Piggly Wiggly either. It's a grocery store chain just like any other.

Awful awful awful...I heard the rumor but hadn't heard anything definite yet. Everyone on Earle St is pissed. I really hope this somehow doesn't happen...but it probably will. I hope it burns to the ground.

Wow. Talk about a sick comment. What's wrong with Waffle House? Oh, that's right. We all have to be stereotypical of the people who eat there. Oh and i'm one of those people who eat there often. It's good, cheap food and I support them.

To me, it would make more sense for it to be on the corner of Stone and Rutherford (where the old gas station was torn down ... across Stone from Triune Mercy Center). Many better things could be built on the corner of Stone and Main.

While the "Awful Waffle" is never the ideal development for a piece of land, I am okay with this going forward - provided that it is an urban design and does not have the ugly, cheap look of a regular Waffle House. It better not be surrounded by a sea of parking, either. The city should use this as a precedent for urban development along Stone Avenue.

I will be curious to see how city leaders address the hours. Waffle House is a 24-hour place, and even Knox White said he will explore the idea of restricting its hours. It seems that being open all night is a big part of the appeal of Waffle House. People who enjoy going to Waffle House have low standards, either because they are that way all the time or because alcohol and/or being desperate for food made them that way. :lol:

It won't really be at the corner it will be immediately adjacent to the right side of the Rite Aid. In my opinion that is a great location for Waffle House. My office is in that area and I think it is great.

Waffle House had also been looking about a year ago at Pendleton St. near Pete's, I live out that way and was really disappointed that they were not about to make it happen.

In my opinion the city had no business telling businesses when they should close for the night. I have always been against the 2 am closure for bars too.

It won't really be at the corner it will be immediately adjacent to the right side of the Rite Aid. In my opinion that is a great location for Waffle House. My office is in that area and I think it is great.

OK, I'm good with it then. That location is OK. I thought it was going to be on the empty corner, which is a prime spot for development.

As for restricting the hours, IMO that is a horrible idea. Most of the time when I think of Waffle it is at 4:00 AM in the morning when I've been out, had a few too many to drink and need some comfort grease. If Waffle House is going there, I hope the city lets it be a true 24 hour Waffle House with a waitress named Pansie that calls me "honey". Let it be authentic "smothered and covered". :lol:

Maybe it could be a bit more upscale looking, like this one in Atlanta, where Kid Rock was busted. :lol:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...t%3D36%26um%3D1

While the "Awful Waffle" is never the ideal development for a piece of land, I am okay with this going forward - provided that it is an urban design and does not have the ugly, cheap look of a regular Waffle House. It better not be surrounded by a sea of parking, either. The city should use this as a precedent for urban development along Stone Avenue.

I will be curious to see how city leaders address the hours. Waffle House is a 24-hour place, and even Knox White said he will explore the idea of restricting its hours. It seems that being open all night is a big part of the appeal of Waffle House. People who enjoy going to Waffle House have low standards, either because they are that way all the time or because alcohol and/or being desperate for food made them that way. :lol:

IMO, if you go to a Waffle House, you are probably not going for a high quality culinary experience. :) That said, I enjoy it from time to time.

I'm confident that the City will make this look better than the standard Waffle House though.

Here is a link to a video with the "victim". The "victim" was throwing food and started a fight, which led to the waitress getting her gun. I'm sorry, but I was LMAO watching the video. Have people REALLY become this dumb????? What kind of world are we living in??? :dontknow:

Where is this Clarendon County? I hope not in the Upstate.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20.../NEWS/905130340

One of the things I miss most about New York is the outstanding all night Greek diners. Menus as thick as phone books, not one bad item in the whole line up and affordable to boot. These places are all night in one of the most violent areas in the country and we never had any of the types of problems you see going on at some of the poorly located Waffle Houses. I really wish some one could bring a proper all night diner downtown, and I believe the very nature of a good diner would not be conducive to criminals and homeless people. I like to have fun and I live downtown, it would be great to have a place I could walk to after the bars close at 2AM and get a good meal. The plus in it being downtown is people that have been drinking would have a place they don't need to drive to that can't serve alcohol and they could eat to sober up over some time. I loved the 24 hour Dunkin Doughnuts as well. Greenville needs to grow up and part of that is moving toward a more 24 hour nature.

One of the things I miss most about New York is the outstanding all night Greek diners. Menus as thick as phone books, not one bad item in the whole line up and affordable to boot. These places are all night in one of the most violent areas in the country and we never had any of the types of problems you see going on at some of the poorly located Waffle Houses. I really wish some one could bring a proper all night diner downtown, and I believe the very nature of a good diner would not be conducive to criminals and homeless people. I like to have fun and I live downtown, it would be great to have a place I could walk to after the bars close at 2AM and get a good meal. The plus in it being downtown is people that have been drinking would have a place they don't need to drive to that can't serve alcohol and they could eat to sober up over some time. I loved the 24 hour Dunkin Doughnuts as well. Greenville needs to grow up and part of that is moving toward a more 24 hour nature.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Well said.

Here is a link to a video with the "victim". The "victim" was throwing food and started a fight, which led to the waitress getting her gun. I'm sorry, but I was LMAO watching the video. Have people REALLY become this dumb????? What kind of world are we living in??? :dontknow:

Where is this Clarendon County? I hope not in the Upstate.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20.../NEWS/905130340

I was not sure where Clarendon County was either, other than the eastern half of the state. It turns out that I-95 runs through it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarendon_Cou..._South_Carolina

I could not watch the video. As usual, GreenvilleOnline made me sit through the stupid advertisement and then the video stopped working.

I welcome a Waffle House downtown. Several things must happen though: quality design, and built in urban fashion. I kind of wish it were more walkable. Hopefully given some time, it will be more built up in the area. This could be the first a real transformation for the area. There's land available just waiting for interest and the right proposal... We'll see how this shakes down.

You need to head over to the Marietta Diner in Marietta, Georgia when you have a chance. You'd like it. I'd take something like this over the Awful Waffle any day.

You need to head over to the Marietta Diner in Marietta, Georgia when you have a chance. You'd like it. I'd take something like this over the Awful Waffle any day.

I would certainly prefer something a little classier and cleaner than the Awful Waffle too, but since it seems to be the choice then I hope it is urban and unique.

I agree that the Marietta Diner (or something comparable) would be good for Stone Avenue. Something like the Silver Diner in the DC area would be good too:

http://www.silverdiner.com/

I also miss my 24-hour city. But Greenville, SC is not NYC. More people live in the 15 square blocks of my old Manhattan neighborhood than the entire city of Greenville. Residential, retail, office and public spaces are mixed together in ways that are not viable in Greenville

Wow. Talk about a sick comment. What's wrong with Waffle House? Oh, that's right. We all have to be stereotypical of the people who eat there. Oh and i'm one of those people who eat there often. It's good, cheap food and I support them.

I'm not stereotypical of anyone who eats there...I've eaten there plenty of times myself (and like it). I just think it's an awful area in general for a Waffle House. And yes, a nicer one with a more modern/urban design would be nice, but I've never seen one that didn't have the huge yellow signs on all sides standing out like a sore thumb. I realize my initial comment was harsh. Sorry. And I couldn't agree more with hundefreund, fortunately he's better with words than I am.

That is an incredibly ignorant statement.

I have lived for years less than two blocks from the site where this is slated to take place, on Earle Street. I could not be more pleased to see this happening. I enjoy the Waffle House, as do many people I know, few of which have "low standards" or are drunkards.

This is the kind of thing Stone Avenue needs, whether the neighbors are willing to admit it or not. This will be part of what eventually makes Stone Avenue cool. The addition of any sit-down restaurants should be welcomed, as we have virtually none within the area (Bohemian, Handlebar, Northgate Soda Shop - that's it.)

Being a 24 hour establishment is part of the charm. I didn't believe that the 2am rule for bars was appropriate, nor do I believe that the city should meddle in the affairs of businesses that are completely within the confines of the law and are generating revenue that the city taxes, especially in the case of bars and restaurants, where the extra 2% hospitality tax is added. I don't think that 24 hour businesses should be the norm, but it is nice for folks to have the option to grab a bite to eat in the middle of the night without having to leave the city.

I enjoy living in the area and having destinations to walk to that don't require me to get in my car. I also think that it is important to have a wide spectrum of offerings, not just "upscale" offerings and boutique stores.

That is an incredibly ignorant statement.

I have lived for years less than two blocks from the site where this is slated to take place, on Earle Street. I could not be more pleased to see this happening. I enjoy the Waffle House, as do many people I know, few of which have "low standards" or are drunkards.

This is the kind of thing Stone Avenue needs, whether the neighbors are willing to admit it or not. This will be part of what eventually makes Stone Avenue cool. The addition of any sit-down restaurants should be welcomed, as we have virtually none within the area (Bohemian, Handlebar, Northgate Soda Shop - that's it.)

Being a 24 hour establishment is part of the charm. I didn't believe that the 2am rule for bars was appropriate, nor do I believe that the city should meddle in the affairs of businesses that are completely within the confines of the law and are generating revenue that the city taxes, especially in the case of bars and restaurants, where the extra 2% hospitality tax is added. I don't think that 24 hour businesses should be the norm, but it is nice for folks to have the option to grab a bite to eat in the middle of the night without having to leave the city.

I am not sure who you are trying to convince, but as I said before, I support Waffle House locating there provided that they are forced to adhere to an urban design with good building materials. In other words, no parking out front, no cheap facades, no huge street sign, etc. As I mentioned previously, this could really set a nice standard for the North Main area in terms of urbanity and improved options. But the city needs to take a leadership role.

I obviously can't speak for you, but the food at Waffle House is not very high quality. There is a reason it is called the "Awful Waffle," after all. Most of the time I, or people I know, go to Waffle House when it is late at night after a night out. It appeals because there aren't many (if any) places open then, and you aren't as choosy. When it comes to breakfast, there are many other options available at all price ranges (IHOP, Tommy's Country Ham House, Gene's, Stax's Original, Stax's Omega, Mimi's, etc.). If you choose Waffle House over these others during normal business hours, that's certainly your right. Most people I know don't.

Again, I am for the idea of having Waffle House there. It will add a nice element to North Main not currently there. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

In order to think about plans for the North Main area at Stone Avenue, I think we need to consider the problems that have prevented the Main Street experience that Greenville is known for from expanding past the Hyatt. Looking at things such as current land use, orientation, and psychological barriers are a start. At that point, I think we can begin to plan anything we want for the area and enjoy success...

Archived