Stone Avenue Projects

gs3

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was by this evening. The red awnings don't add anything, but they also don't offend. Overall, the place is definitely a couple of steps above the average suburban location. The one thing I did like....several large trees planted between the building and the sidewalk.

I was by this evening. The red awnings don't add anything, but they also don't offend. Overall, the place is definitely a couple of steps above the average suburban location. The one thing I did like....several large trees planted between the building and the sidewalk.

Red awnings are better than yellow awnings, right? Especially "Waffle House yellow." :lol:

The powers that be are all for it at the city level. The biggest obstacle will be the money. Fortunately, the street won't have to be widened, only reconfigured/stripped. The US highway change might not be necessary either. I'm not real knowledgable on that though.

Fortunately, the street won't have to be widened, only reconfigured/stripped. The US highway change might not be necessary either. I'm not real knowledgable on that though.

Unfortunately, Stone Avenue, if reduced in the amount of lanes, would be unable to carry the volume of inbound traffic funneled by Wade Hampton Boulevard, Laurens Road, and East North Street. Also, you have Earle Street residents who do not want to be westbound Stone Avenue traffic. If the road was wider, the street would be more adaptable. In this case, a road diet for the sake of doing it would not work.

Unfortunately, Stone Avenue, if reduced in the amount of lanes, would be unable to carry the volume of inbound traffic funneled by Wade Hampton Boulevard, Laurens Road, and East North Street. Also, you have Earle Street residents who do not want to be westbound Stone Avenue traffic. If the road was wider, the street would be more adaptable. In this case, a road diet for the sake of doing it would not work.

This is a myth. If you had attended the sessions, you would have leaarned why it is not true. The same argument was made when Main Street was narrowed too.

There was no opposition for the plan presented, which included a road diet.

There was no opposition for the plan presented, which included a road diet.

That is also a myth, vicupstate. I am among a group of North Main Street area residents against some aspects of the plan, including giving a critical road a road diet. You can prove me wrong via PM, but I see no merit to continue a dead horse.

That is also a myth, vicupstate. I am among a group of North Main Street area residents against some aspects of the plan, including giving a critical road a road diet. You can prove me wrong via PM, but I see no merit to continue a dead horse.

Were you there?

At the end of the presentation, attendees were asked to answer the question “Do you feel the plan is generally on the right track?” Of the 100 attendees polled, 87 answered “yes” and 13 answered “probably yes.”

You normally can't get 100 people to agree what on day it is. Just as there was opposition to narrowing Main Street and taking out the Camperdown St auto Bridge, those views did not prevail.

This issue was SPECIFICALLY addressed in-depth at the session, and a very compelling argument was made for doing the road diet and how doing so would NOT clog the road. Obviously, they made a compelling argument given the opinion poll results.

I support a road diet on Stone Avenue. It is heavily used, but that heavy use across 4 lanes is part of the reason why most of Stone Avenue is dated and bland. A road diet would actually cause people to slow down, see what's there, and envision improvements to the storefronts and see the possibilities that exist. Less traffic would also cause pedestrians to feel more safe walking along the sidewalk (once given a reason to walk there).

Anyone who doubts the value of a road diet obviously doesn't realize how important it was to Main Street's revitalization. :dunno:

A few points.

Main Street and Stone Avenue are not good comparisons. Main St. was a destination point before the changes and the changes only emphasized it. Stone Ave. is more of a connecting road between destinations. Also, Main Street has Academy Street and Church Street flanking it only a couple of blocks to either side. Those roads were well suited to handle the traffic. Where would the excess traffic go if Stone was narrowed? To Park Ave? To Earle Street? I don't want heavier traffic next to McPherson Park or filling the residential Earle Street neighborhood.

Were you there?

You normally can't get 100 people to agree what on day it is. Just as there was opposition to narrowing Main Street and taking out the Camperdown St auto Bridge, those views did not prevail.

This issue was SPECIFICALLY addressed in-depth at the session, and a very compelling argument was made for doing the road diet and how doing so would NOT clog the road. Obviously, they made a compelling argument given the opinion poll results.

It is very unlikely the 100 people voting at the session were a random sample of opinion. I am sure it was highly self-selected.

I know some people who work along that section of Stone Ave. who are highly suspicious, and even antagonistic regarding this. One man in particular thinks there are similarities with the situation with Riverplace where long time property owners were forced out by the city for the benefit of developers (as he sees it.) He worries that the city might impose regulations that would increase taxes and costs of doing business to the point of driving him away from Stone Ave.

No one is going to avoid Stone Avenue by way of streets that have speed humps! That's ridiculous. I think you have nothing to worry about there.

The City can't take property by means of eminent domain (i.e. Riverplace situation), unless it's for public use (i.e. riverwalk and stairs). I wouldn't trust just any government entity to do this, but the City of Greenville I would. I support the City's taking Billy Mitchell's building. The public space in that area is great enhanced by the City's actions. And if the City sees need to do it in the North End, I support that they have a grand vision and that the City and its taxpayers will be better off.

The North Main community seems to be full of a lot of NIMBY's. Or, the ones that exist are just VERY outspoken. Giving the area a lively and productive commercial corridor will be a huge enhancement. I'm still not sure why this is viewed as such a bad thing. :dontknow:

There is no need to widen Stone Avenue, so there won't be any emenient domain going on. Laws have changed to toughen the use of E.Domain too. Neither Earle nor Park will receive increased traffic. It was all explained in the session, which was broadly advertised to the public. No self-selection going on, that is total B.S. 96% voted to support the road diet specifically. GET THE FACTS before you spout off about this plan.

The North Main community seems to be full of a lot of NIMBY's.

No self-selection going on, that is total B.S. 96% voted to support the road diet specifically. GET THE FACTS before you spout off about this plan.

The above quotes are a little contradictory, aren't they? Full or NIMBYs or 96% support. Which is it?

Eminent domain isn't the only way to force property owners out. The people I talked with are concerned that they might see a special district created with new regulations that they couldn't afford to meet. The result would be that some current owners would have to sell, perhaps even at below market price.

I am not saying that that is what would happen but it has happened other times and places and it is a concern of the people I talked with.

Personally, I thought the speculative plans were attractive and interesting. If a developer wants to buy up properties in the area and move forward that is great.

BTW, the "Everybody agrees with me so anybody who doesn't should shut up" argument isn't a good one.

The above quotes are a little contradictory, aren't they? Full or NIMBYs or 96% support. Which is it?

Eminent domain isn't the only way to force property owners out. The people I talked with are concerned that they might see a special district created with new regulations that they couldn't afford to meet. The result would be that some current owners would have to sell, perhaps even at below market price.

I am not saying that that is what would happen but it has happened other times and places and it is a concern of the people I talked with.

Personally, I thought the speculative plans were attractive and interesting. If a developer wants to buy up properties in the area and move forward that is great.

BTW, the "Everybody agrees with me so anybody who doesn't should shut up" argument isn't a good one.

I didn't say the NIMBY comment, so I didn't contradict myself.

What would be an example of people being required to conform to some 'district regulations' forcing the owners to sell or go out of business? The buildings are not historic, so that can't be what you are referring to. Besides, other than keeping a building up to code, an historic district does not place any requirements on anybody unless they are altering the existing appearance of a building.

I suggest you and the others of your mindset wait on the final report and plans and listen to what the planners have to say, before rushing to judgement.

• 1 month later...

The Community Tap opened today at 205 Wade Hampton Blvd. just off Stone Ave. I beleive its the 60's-era building that has most recently housed a dry cleaners among others. It has recently been painted and this new tenant is a welcome addition to the neighborhood. Can't wait to get my growler!

http://www.thecommunitytap.com/

http://greenville.metromix.com/home/blog_post/community-tap-opens/2042468/content

The Community Tap opened today at 205 Wade Hampton Blvd. just off Stone Ave. I beleive its the 60's-era building that has most recently housed a dry cleaners among others. It has recently been painted and this new tenant is a welcome addition to the neighborhood. Can't wait to get my growler!

http://www.thecommunitytap.com/

http://greenville.metromix.com/home/blog_post/community-tap-opens/2042468/content

I went today! This place is AWESOME!! The guys who work there are extremely friendly and knowledgeable about their products. I got a growler ($3.50, one-time charge) and an amber beer. Their selection changes with each empty keg. They will also be having beer tastings, with the first one being a brewery from Michigan that they're bringing in...

Absolutely hit this place up! They seemed to be doing a good business when I was there. :shades:

I went today! This place is AWESOME!! The guys who work there are extremely friendly and knowledgeable about their products. I got a growler ($3.50, one-time charge) and an amber beer. Their selection changes with each empty keg. They will also be having beer tastings, with the first one being a brewery from Michigan that they're bringing in...

Absolutely hit this place up! They seemed to be doing a good business when I was there. :shades:

I was just there about an hour ago! Great place, and the two times I've been in there have been other people there. Hope they do well.

And yes, I have to say the Waffle House doesn't look bad. Looks better than the Rite Aid. I wish they would at least paint all the blue parts green.

Archived