Stone Avenue Projects

gs3

Was a good, albeit long kickoff meeting last night. Great turnout. More business owners than I had expected. Interesting history about Stone Avenue and its growth related to Greenville and downtown. Hopefully folks will continue to be engaged in the process throughout the week. I think the schedule is at planstoneavenue.org.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The turnout was good and the planners seem to know their stuff. There are activities every day (except Sunday) until Thursday, when they present a summation of there findings/initial planning. I encourage EVERYONE to attend as much of these as they can. Now is the time to speak up.

Great Charette today. Be sure to stop by 225 Stone Ave sometime to give your input, and see the other ideas. M-W 9am to 7pm. Thursday 6:30 pm is the wrap-up at Earle Street Baptist.

Yes, today was great. Stone Ave has so much potential and it's exciting to see that the residents and the city are serious about making things happen. Even though everybody's plans were very ambitious and it's hard to imagine it all coming together, I cant help feel that some good will come of this. Dover, Kohl seems like they know what they're doing and I'm looking forward to seeing what they have for us on Thursday.

I second the above comments: the charrette today was great – productive and fun. Property owners , local businesses and neighborhood residents were all there and achieved a good degree of consensus. The mayor, council and staff have also attended all the events. It’s heartening to see all of us pretty much on the same page, at least so far. Dover, Kohl did a great job running the event – they are living up to expectations.

As someone pointed out, the design studio – 225 East Stone, corner of Bennett and East Stone – is open to the public Monday, March 22 to Wednesday, March 24 – 9:00am - 7:00 pm. There will be an Open House, showing the work to date, on Tuesday, March 23 – 5:30 - 7:00 pm. But if you can come to nothing else, come to the work-in-progress presentation on Thursday, March 25 – 6:30 - 9:00pm in the Earle Street Baptist Church sanctuary – corner of Robinson and West Earle Streets. Anyone interested in urban planning should come. This concerns all of us in Greenville -- whether you live or work in the area doesn’t really matter – the more input the better.

I second the above comments: the charrette today was great – productive and fun. Property owners , local businesses and neighborhood residents were all there and achieved a good degree of consensus. The mayor, council and staff have also attended all the events. It’s heartening to see all of us pretty much on the same page, at least so far. Dover, Kohl did a great job running the event – they are living up to expectations.

As someone pointed out, the design studio – 225 East Stone, corner of Bennett and East Stone – is open to the public Monday, March 22 to Wednesday, March 24 – 9:00am - 7:00 pm. There will be an Open House, showing the work to date, on Tuesday, March 23 – 5:30 - 7:00 pm. But if you can come to nothing else, come to the work-in-progress presentation on Thursday, March 25 – 6:30 - 9:00pm in the Earle Street Baptist Church sanctuary – corner of Robinson and West Earle Streets. Anyone interested in urban planning should come. This concerns all of us in Greenville -- whether you live or work in the area doesn’t really matter – the more input the better.

Good to hear. :thumbsup:

Any rogue comments at the meeting about the new Waffle House? I noticed it going up.....at least it is red brick, but from what I can tell by the shape, it looks like it will be a typical style Waffle House.

Good to hear. :thumbsup:

Any rogue comments at the meeting about the new Waffle House? I noticed it going up.....at least it is red brick, but from what I can tell by the shape, it looks like it will be a typical style Waffle House.

No discussion of Waffle House, thank god -- we all tried to keep it positive. Anyway, the Waffle issue is in the hands of the legal system. There's a hearing on April 15 -- depending on the outcome, this may or may not drag on for months. But, yes, they are building and I'm sure it will look like a typically ugly Waffle House (although the city did request design changes). Not what anyone had in mind for Stone, but with a decent master plan the rest of Stone Avenue will hopefully shape up nicely in the coming years.

No discussion of Waffle House, thank god -- we all tried to keep it positive. Anyway, the Waffle issue is in the hands of the legal system. There's a hearing on April 15 -- depending on the outcome, this may or may not drag on for months. But, yes, they are building and I'm sure it will look like a typically ugly Waffle House (although the city did request design changes). Not what anyone had in mind for Stone, but with a decent master plan the rest of Stone Avenue will hopefully shape up nicely in the coming years.

Yep, Stone has soooo much potential. I still think the corner of Main and Stone , where the old gas station was, is a prime spot. Would love to see a 4 or 5 story builing on the corner with street level restaurants and outdoor patio dining facing the street. A Flying Biscuit would be great on this corner and would be an instant weekend morning / day gathering spot. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Preliminary Draft Plans and Renderings put together after the community input sessions... They look awesome! I'd love to see this actually happen, and soon!

Overall Draft Plan of the Stone Avenue Project:

03%20plan%20trianlgle%20sears%20option.jpg

Stone Avenue - Present:

Stone%20&%20Main%201%20ppt.jpg

Plan showing Phase 1:

Stone%20&%20Main%202A%20ppt.jpg

Plan showing Phase 2:

Stone%20&%20Main%203%20ppt.jpg

Final Plan 1:

Stone%20&%20Main%205%20ppt.jpg

Final Plan 2:

Stone%20&%20Main%205B%20ppt.jpg

I'm just guessing that these are to be initial phases, and I think "Final Plan 2" looks the best, considering the historical nature of the homes in the area. This could WILL transform the city when its all said and done, and it'll give us a little more to love about our already beautiful downtown!

Streetscape visualizations:

Now:

1-%20existing%20conditions.jpg

With Plan:

8-%20(at%20first%20with%20or%20without%20overhead%20wires).jpg

I really like the overall scheme in terms of density and arrangement. I think we can expect a much better product architecturally.

I hope the city can get this rolling!

Would the State have to approve the narrowing of Stone Avenue?

The consultants actually said they weren't focusing on architectural style, so don't look too closely at that aspect of the plans.

As for narrowing the road, there are definitely battles to be fought. Stone has US highway designation and there are various restrictions on how many lanes and such. The Mayor seemed willing to take on the challenge and seemed confident that something could be worked out.

I figured the City would be willing to pursue it. We have good minds in charge! :thumbsup:

Other than infrastructure improvements, which will go a long way, was there any talk about potential anchors to spur development? A Hyatt/Peace Center/West End Field-type anchor that the City might have a market or niche for?

Thanks for posting these plans, furman94! :thumbsup:

I really like the urban nature of the proposals, and hope to see some nice progress made toward that end. Road diets and better landscaping are things that can be done quickly to improve the "feel" of this neighborhood and help people see possibilities for redevelopment. I really, really like the traffic circle too. That would be a very cool addition to our already great downtown. :)

I also agree that an anchor or two are needed. An urban Trader Joe's would be great, especially since we know they are interested in Greenville and often like more urban areas. The fact that Magnolia Park Town Center (where they were originally rumored to be locating) is slow to materialize, perhaps they would be willing to consider Stone Avenue as an alternative...

• 4 weeks later...

Some recent observations on Stone Ave:

The old bank building at the corner of Stone and Bennett no longer has a real estate sign on it. It had been offered by Croxton/Gray, I believe. Does anyone know what might be going on there?

Also, across Bennett, behind the State Farm office is an empty lot with a new sign advertising a spec house for $399K. Looks craftsman-stlye, but with a horrible front-loaded garage. Hopefully, the design will be modified to elimate the garage on the front.

The Waffle House appears to be nearing opening. The building is finished and interior upfit looks close.

Archived