Stone Avenue Projects

gs3

I went today! This place is AWESOME!! The guys who work there are extremely friendly and knowledgeable about their products. I got a growler ($3.50, one-time charge) and an amber beer. Their selection changes with each empty keg. They will also be having beer tastings, with the first one being a brewery from Michigan that they're bringing in...

Absolutely hit this place up! They seemed to be doing a good business when I was there. :shades:

I concur. I'm on my third growler (I mean it's in the fridge -- I'm not currently drinking it). I've never been been much of a beer drinker, but I have never tasted beer this good. This is a welcome addition to the neighborhood -- a decent deli next door would be a home run.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I concur. I'm on my third growler (I mean it's in the fridge -- I'm not currently drinking it). I've never been been much of a beer drinker, but I have never tasted beer this good. This is a welcome addition to the neighborhood -- a decent deli next door would be a home run.

This is so good to hear! Can't wait to check it out. What are the hours?

• 1 month later...

The Rite-Aid at the corner of Stone and Main is set to undergo remodeling and will become a co-branded Rite-Aid / Sav-a-lot :dunno: with meats, prodice, etc. Very strange.

Well that's awful. I thought Stone Ave was on the verge of becoming a great area...

What happened to the possibility of Bloom in the area? And there's a bi-lo right down the street anyways. Bloom would be nice, but I'll take bi-lo over a Rite-Aid/Sav-a-lot combo anyday.

The Rite-Aid at the corner of Stone and Main is set to undergo remodeling and will become a co-branded Rite-Aid / Sav-a-lot :dunno: with meats, prodice, etc. Very strange.

Maybe this is the "exciting new development in the North Main area that is becoming even bigger" that Knox White referred to it a recent Twitter post. :lol:

More info here.

All this aside, it looks like this isn't just Greenville, it is a nationwide type of change with Rite Aid downsizing significantly as well as re-branding many stores as Sav-A-Lot.

According to Google, Sav-A-Lot's main competitor is ALDI. I don't know about everyone else, but I would rather have an ALDI in the neighborhood than the Sav-A-Lot/Rite-Aid.

• 4 weeks later...

The Community Tap opened today at 205 Wade Hampton Blvd. just off Stone Ave. I beleive its the 60's-era building that has most recently housed a dry cleaners among others. It has recently been painted and this new tenant is a welcome addition to the neighborhood. Can't wait to get my growler!

http://www.thecommunitytap.com/

http://greenville.metromix.com/home/blog_post/community-tap-opens/2042468/content

Finally got to check this place out today. Absolutely love it. The attitude. The selection. Cool place. I'm sold....I'll be a regular. :thumbsup: Brought home our first growler from there and have enjoyed it through the Clemson game (which I've turned off....too much nail biting....can't deal with overtime)....

IMG_9467-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

From Councilwoman Amy Ryberg-Doyle:

“What is the status of the Stone Avenue Master Plan?”

Currently, the City‟s traffic engineering staff is working with the DOT to address issues of redesigning the traffic lanes for Stone Avenue. There is a Stone Avenue Task Force Committee comprised of neighborhood association presidents, Stone Avenue business owners and property owners who have contributed input on the road diet plan. You can see the presentation completed by design team Dover Kohl here: http://www.planstoneavenue.org/ Please post your input on the site. The Stone Avenue plan recommendations will be presented to the neighborhood on Tuesday, October 26 from 5:30 to 7:30pm. The meeting will be held at the Greenville County Main Library at Heritage Green. During this meeting, the draft Plan for Stone Avenue will be presented for public comment. Come give your feedback, and bring a friend!

• 3 weeks later...

Meeting/Public Hearing is tonight on this. 5:30 to 7:30 at the Hughes Library DT. Anyone else planning to attend?

The meeting has been canceled. From an email I received yesterday:

"We regret to inform you that the Stone Avenue Master Plan public meeting scheduled for Tuesday, October 26 has been canceled. The City's consultant with Dover Kohl had a family emergency and is unable to attend the meeting. City staff will work closely with Dover Kohl to reschedule this meeting as soon as possible and will provide you with more information.

We apologize for any inconvenience this causes you and we look forward to working with you in the very near future. For more information about the Stone Avenue Master Plan, contact the City's Planning & Development Division at 864-467-4476 or visit www.planstoneavenue.org."

• 2 weeks later...

The meeting on the Stone Ave master plan has been rescheduled. See below:

The City of Greenville, Dover Kohl & Partners and Hall Planning & Engineering will host a Plan Stone Avenue Progress Presentation on Tuesday, December 14 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Hughes Main Library. The presentation will include a brief overview of the charrette process that took place in March, as well as a status report on the progress that has been made on the plan in the months since. The presentation will also focus on the next steps and ways for members of the community to stay actively involved in development of the master plan.

For more information about the Stone Avenue Master Plan, contact the City's Planning & Development Division at 864-467-4476 or visit www.planstoneavenue.org.

• 1 month later...

Good crowd last night. No STATED opposition expressed either. The plan now goes to the Planning commission (with another hearing) and then to city Council for approval.

North Main from Academy to Ashley,is scheduled to get a new coat of asphalt soon. The City is trying to convince DOT to implement the streetscaping from Academy to Stone (as detailed in the Stone Avenue Plan) as part of that. If successful, that would probably be the first concrete step toward implementation of the plan.

The city's recent success with turning E. North and Washingotn into 'complete streets' has given the city some cred with DOT.

Hopefully that will help with getting streetscaping approved for North Main.

• 2 months later...

City Council approved the Stone Avenue Master Plan "in principle" by a vote of 6-0 on Monday. Here is a link to the story in the Greenville News: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011302150027

The only voices in opposition were a few business people who had not taken the time to be involved in the months-long process and were not aware of how the road diet will help their customers access their businesses. All other speakers were in favor, including a representative of Friends of Stone Avenue who spoke on behalf of business owners and all five of the adjoining neighborhoods.

This is an exciting development for the city of Greenville and will be a great improvement to the area, much like Main Street downtown.

Archived