Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

The end of the combustion engine in sight?

15 posts in this topic

An Austin company, EEStor, started by two former IBM technologists, has acquired a patent for a battery ultracapacitor that they claim can recharge in five minutes and power a car for 500 miles on that charge without gasoline. Critics are skeptical, but this EESTor company has received venture capital funds from some powerful hitters, including VC firms that helped start Google and Amazon.com.

If their claims are even close to being true, could this mean the coming end of the combustion engine?

Texas startup says it has batteries beat

Ultracapacitor Discussion

Tech article and discussion

I doubt it since the US government has been sitting on advance technology since July of 1947. :whistling:

some big oil company or companies will try to buy the patent and lock it up a vault and it won't be heard from again.................ever <_<

some big oil company or companies will try to buy the patent and lock it up a vault and it won't be heard from again.................ever <_<

You guys should come see the Water Fuel Museum here in Lexington, Kentucky... tried and true technology that is not "viable."

I posted that the internal combustion engine was obsolete last year and got blasted for it. We'll see if the same people come here and cause a ruckus...

You guys should come see the Water Fuel Museum here in Lexington, Kentucky... tried and true technology that is not "viable."

I posted that the internal combustion engine was obsolete last year and got blasted for it. We'll see if the same people come here and cause a ruckus...

It there a website for this museum? I'm definitely interested in reading about it at least.

Seems to me what you posted was a re-hash of some snake oil that was dismissed as nonsense in the 1970s and 1950s. Every generation manages to get fooled by that one. In contrast, this idea at least got a patent though it remains to be seen if it goes anywhere. I am not convinced there is any conspiracy to keep these things hidden as someone somewhere else in the world would develop it if there was anything to it.

It sounds promising. But this could be nothing more than some pipe dream like every other promise to render the internal combustion engine obsolete. So I'm in wait and see mode on this one.

I see. I felt that the fact I had brought this up last year was relevant, apparently you disagree, so now we have now entered the Metro.m is right, everyone else is wrong area on this thread. Have fun, people.