Eastown retail/restaurant changeups

suydam

In their application, it looks like this new cajun/creole restaurant will take advantage of the second floor and open it up as a seating space with a balcony overlooking the main floor (sort of like San Chez), but with more of a French Quarter look to it.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although i will agree in saying the rent a center building could have used a major makeover I woudnt cheer on yet another business leaving the Eastown area. Jobs leaving the vicinity and services. Seriously what is going on in Eastown! its like every month another business is closing its doors.

• 1 month later...

Last week I was at Disney World with my two little ones and I had 6 different employees say they had been to Grand Rapids and loved our city. I met one guy who was from Indonesia and he said he was just here in Jan, 08 because his friend lives here. He said his favorite place was Eastown and loved Yesterdog. As we were talking another girl from Thailand came over and said her favorite restaurant ever was Wolfgang's in Eastown. I found that to very good word of mouth!

• 1 month later...
The letter came in today's mail informing that accounts are being transferred to the Michigan & Fuller location, effective July 11. Fifth Third was already on shaky ground with me. I prefer credit unions or local banks, but this was in easy walking distance and on my beaten path. The people that work there are super and eventually I stuck with them to support the employees even though I detested the surveys they had been doing and everything that I take to be part of that. An aside: Something I've learned about those surveys is that unless you are really dissatisfied, mark the highest possible rating. Anything less is interpreted as poor and the employees will be raked over the coals. What the folk at Fifth Third that decided to use a survey process may have intended was to improve service, but what they did was remind me that it's a huge corporate entity -- took my focus away from the excellent local branch. My theory is that happy employees will give good service because of who they are. Good hiring practice will be able to identify that. Hire good people, treat them well and be a company that they can be proud to represent and your customers will be served well. BTW, as with previous changes, the employees may be the last to know. On the off chance someone from Fifth Third reads these boards, the staff did not "complain" to me. I don't need to have things explained to see what's going on, people can read or sense the signs. Frankly, I feel jacked around. I suspect that they were looking to close branches and the surveys were part of choosing whether to close or which ones to close. There is a credit union branch at Michigan Fuller, I've no reason to stick with Fifth Third now.

First sentence in the letter:

"To continue to respond to our customers' needs with excellent financial products and services, we find it sometimes necessary to streamline our operations."

:( didn't get the letter in the mail today. upset about the closing! that location was perfect for me - right in my hood. it was a quick stop at the ATM before going out or whatever. now, like joy & rhino said, i've really got no reason to stick with 5/3. it was the location that kept me, even though as an institution they could be frustrating. my company is big enough to have an in house credit union - perhaps it's now time for me to switch. what a message it would send if everyone who normally used that as their home branch closed accounts and took them elsewhere!

This certainly isn't big news, but the owner of Gino's pizza on Wealthy (across the street from Blockbuster & Papa John's) told me he will be doing some renovations to help make the store look a little better. Not sure how significant the renovations will be and no clue on when they'll be done, but anything to spruce up that pizza shop will be a plus.

Archived