Eastown retail/restaurant changeups

suydam

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In other Eastown news, article in MiBiz about Gilmore's plans for the tower next to the BOB also included this snippet:

"Gilmore's newest endeavor doesn't involve a building, but an empty lot on Fulton Street and Carlton Avenue in Grand Rapids. The Gilmore Collection is looking for partners for the mixed-use building on the site [wait...there isn't a building there any more?!]. The company plans to open a taco shop that aims to have the best tacos in the city"

Interesting...n'est ce pas?

As a close neighbor to the parcel at Fulton & Carlton, whatever they do, I hope they seek neighborhood input. Gilmore is a class act, so I feel like the chances we'll have to look at an eyesore are small, but until something's built, you never know! To be honest I feel like the mix of retail we have at Carlton & Fulton is just right for being so close to residential. I'd hope for something the blends well in terms of open hours and clientele.

In other Eastown news, article in MiBiz about Gilmore's plans for the tower next to the BOB also included this snippet:

"Gilmore's newest endeavor doesn't involve a building, but an empty lot on Fulton Street and Carlton Avenue in Grand Rapids. The Gilmore Collection is looking for partners for the mixed-use building on the site [wait...there isn't a building there any more?!]. The company plans to open a taco shop that aims to have the best tacos in the city"

Interesting...n'est ce pas?

• 1 month later...

Jimmy John's is opening up a spot in Eastown! Walked by the old Camera Center space yesterday after work and there's a sign up saying "coming soon". Looks like they're splitting the space into two storefronts. Jimmy Johns will take the space to the east. They were even removing some bricks from the wall that runs along Norwood - perhaps for windows?!

Jimmy John's is opening up a spot in Eastown! Walked by the old Camera Center space yesterday after work and there's a sign up saying "coming soon". Looks like they're splitting the space into two storefronts. Jimmy Johns will take the space to the east. They were even removing some bricks from the wall that runs along Norwood - perhaps for windows?!

I dont know, I always get scared thinking about chains coming into the eastown area. Does it fit well? The prices for what you get seem high. The setup of delivery and style of decor, does it fit. I would think something like Schnitz deli is a much better fit.

I get what you're saying about chains...I normally am not a chain person either. In Eastown though, we've already got a Subway which is just across the street from where this Jimmy Johns is. Both are located within close proximity to the CVS, Blockbuster and a Papa Johns. All these chains seems to be doing okay in Eastown. Schnitz is just a short walk over to Fulton/Carlton...very close!

*fish

I dont know, I always get scared thinking about chains coming into the eastown area. Does it fit well? The prices for what you get seem high. The setup of delivery and style of decor, does it fit. I would think something like Schnitz deli is a much better fit.

I just drove by today and noticed the wedding place (I think) is gone. The one that said "Monogamy never looked so beautiful" or something to that effect. Space is for rent as well. Someone would be wise to snatch it up and open a business that compliments the foot traffic of the nearby (soon) Jimmy Johns. (IMO)

I went to Chez Bayou today for lunch. Overall it was a nice experience, though the decor was a little too much disneyesque for me. For two lunch entrees and two glasses of wine, the meal came to $31. I had the Bourbon Street Chicken, which included a blackened chicken breast, two jumbo shrimp with a crawfish sauce and the daily vegetable. At $8.99 the portion was large enough to take half my lunch home. The lunch crowd was small, but will grow as word spreads. Our server admitted to us she never served before, which was apparent on how she was attentive though forgetful.

I think Chez Bayou will succeed and the place definitely adds to the Eastown experience.

I went to Chez Bayou today for lunch. Overall it was a nice experience, though the decor was a little too much disneyesque for me. For two lunch entrees and two glasses of wine, the meal came to $31. I had the Bourbon Street Chicken, which included a blackened chicken breast, two jumbo shrimp with a crawfish sauce and the daily vegetable. At $8.99 the portion was large enough to take half my lunch home. The lunch crowd was small, but will grow as word spreads. Our server admitted to us she never served before, which was apparent on how she was attentive though forgetful.

I think Chez Bayou will succeed and the place definitely adds to the Eastown experience.

Archived