RR Station

d8alterego

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on urbanplanet, allthough not the first time I've checked out the site. I guess I wanted to start my experience off with topics that I am passionate about: transit and buildings. Specifically, I want to start a discussion about Grand Rapids' Amtrak RR station. During my days at GVSU I had a few friends who took the train from GR to Chicago and each time I dropped them off at the station, I felt like the building, location, and parking should all be revamped.

If anyone has any information and/or opinions on the station, I'd love to read them.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ITP has plans on routing tracks to the Bus terminal located off Grandville Ave. I'm speculating here, but seeing that ITP purchased or is in steps to purchase land under (and south of) Wealthy St. this might be home to a future enclosed platform(s) for a future station. Or it might be home to a maintenance/storage facility for the planed Monroe Ave. Streetcar. I'm betting that an Amtrak terminal will be built separate from the existing bus terminal. The land is currently a parking lot and some dirt, but might also be used for nighttime storage track for the early outbound train. It will be smart to route the tracks as close to the ITP terminal as possible to better serve The Rapid's ridership.

I'm sure since you are interested in transit that you have probably already read through the lengthy Light Rail and Streetcar thread at the top of the forum. I believe that the future of Amtrak Grand Rapids is discussed in there too.

Archived