Ypsilanti Dam May Be Restarted

nofunk

From the Ann Arbor News: City weighs restarting old hydroelectric station

Apparently this would generate some much-needed revenue for the city. Environmentally, I don't see a problem with this. The dam has been there for decades, so I don't see how dropping some turbines in to generate electricity would have any impact on the local ecosystem. (What ecosystem, Eastern students? :P ) At the same time, I wonder what costs the city will have to incur just to get the thing back up to snuff. Last I checked, the powerhouse is nothing more than an empty shell of a building, with broken windows and a grass floor. Would the city foot the bill to redevelop this?

Zach posted some photos of the site here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=816506

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you know about hydroelectric power Ypsi?

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but this dam is definitely not as big as Barton Dam. But Barton Dam in Ann Arbor has been lucrative, generating $500,000 worth of electricity per year. That's pretty good for a facility that really has no dedicated workers and is low maintenance.

Archived