Spartanburg Area Economic Developments

hub-city

• 4 weeks later...

The Chamber of Commerce is spearheading a 5-year community and economic development plan for the county.  It's a 6-phase, 10-month process with input from residents, area chambers of commerce, businesses, nonprofits, government entities.

I'm glad to see a focus on planning.  I hope an effective plan is formed and implemented.  (i.e. - we need more white-collar jobs!)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just wanted to mention this article I saw where the City commissioned a firm to do talent mapping, market research and other factors in hopes of helping them understand what kind of talent is in the market. The City will use the information to attract certain industries and companies to the area. In fact, the specific content of the study is confidential due to the fact that “there is information pertaining to the attraction of specific organizations.”  Good to see.

• 1 month later...

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This is noteworthy: Spartanburg, along with South Carolina as a whole, hit new records for tourism over the past couple of years:

• South Carolina $20.2 billion in economic activity in the Palmetto State in 2015 — a 6.1 percent increase over 2014 and the fourth straight year of growth.
  • Hotel room demand rose 7.6 percent to more than 898,000 in 2016 and revenue increased 16 percent to a record of more than $75.4 million in 2016
  • Unique visits to VisitSpartanburg.com increased 48 percent, on top of a 54 percent increase reported in 2015.
  • 2016 hospitality tax revenue is up 3% for the County and 6% for the City.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20170306/spartanburg-breaks-tourism-record-in-16

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The Hillbrook market is sizzling for sure. Most brokers I speak with are complaining about how there is no supply of houses in Hillbrook currently to sell. I know of 2 houses around me with one being on the lake and one with lake view and they both sold quick and for record amounts for this neighborhood. I think folks are really starting to realize you get a lot of bang for the buck here.

What I can't figure out is whether the new high school will be of any help or if the traffic may hinder things within the neighborhood.

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

The challenge, IMO, is that the East side doesn't have the growth that you see on the West side or Boiling Springs. Seems like that would affect the housing market more than the school.

I believe that the Eastside, while attractive, lacks adequate highway "connectivity" to I-85 and points south.  

Edited by roads-scholar

All of that is completely fine with me. Trust me when I say, no one on the east side wants the traffic nightmares that exist on the west side and in Boiling Springs. Most folks I know grew up on the east side and still reside there. I know some that moved to the west side and then moved back for the simple reason is your friends really don't feel like dealing with all that traffic to just drop in on you like they used to do on the east side.

I have nothing against the west side as that is where I work and the traffic on Reidville Rd is there at all times of the day as well as on Blackstock, Camelot, & west Main. I just would not want to live there unless I worked in Greenville.

• 4 months later...

Spartanburg had a very successful 2017 economically.  The county had more than $885 million in new capital investment and added 1,789 jobs.  Pretty impressive stat here: "In terms of capital investment, Spartanburg County comprised almost 17 percent of South Carolina’s total economic development during the past year." The county’s hospitality tax revenue increased 2 percent in 2017, while the city’s revenue increased more than 5 percent.  Projections for 2018 are also looking very positive.  Great news all around.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My thoughts exactly. It sounds good for Spartanburg's economy, but we are getting a lower quality product and essentially unabated sprawl. By the time people realize the rules we have in place are useless, and the one's the County is adopting aren't going to solve any major issues, it will be too late to fix the problems. Greenville is also a smaller county, and their main area of growth is concentrated in the middle section, which is also the narrowest. It's the natural momentum of the growth that's spilling into western Spartanburg and northeastern Anderson Counties. Changing the development regs was just adding fuel to the fire.

• 2 months later...
55 minutes ago, FlopShotter said:

This seems like a big deal locally - I know my better half will (finally) become part of the SHRS from MB.

https://www.goupstate.com/news/20181011/spartanburg-regional-to-acquire-mary-black-health-system

I'm not happy with this development but not surprised either.