hub-city

Spartanburg Area Economic Developments

1 hour ago, FlopShotter said:

This seems like a big deal locally - I know my better half will (finally) become part of the SHRS from MB.

https://www.goupstate.com/news/20181011/spartanburg-regional-to-acquire-mary-black-health-system

This also explains why SRHS hasn't been (and now won't be) doing any of the main campus construction/expansion that they were planning.  It's become unnecessary with this acquisition.

But yeah, all this hospital / healthcare system consolidation is disturbing.

Edited by westsider28
Added quote for new page
  • Like 1

Hospitals in this region (and perhaps nationally) are consolidating like crazy. In NC, Carolinas and UNC almost joined to form what would have essentially been a state-wide hospital system, but ultimately didn't because they couldn't agree on where the HQ would be (Charlotte or Raleigh). So, now Carolinas re-branded as "Atrium" which is quite possibly the most generic and boring name in the history of all hospitals. Anyway, they did that so they could buy a hospital system in Georgia.

A few weeks ago I saw where the two largest hospital networks in SC - Pallmetto Health in Columbia and GHS are merging. I would bet you good money that while they are saying its for cost savings (which is probably not untrue) its also to prevent being bought out by Atrium, who has to be looking at York and Lancaster Counties for expansion. 

Anyway, I get the dislike of SRHS, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a move to preserve some territory since GHS will now have more power to but its way into Spartanburg. 

I think there are two kinds of healthcare companies.. the ones that genuinely try to provide care and the ones that are just trying to turn a profit even at the expense of patients and insurance companies. Mary Black was bought out by one of those soul-sucking corporations a few years ago (after the attempt to expand failed) and I've never heard anything good about it since then other than it not being SRHS. It's also in a super weird spot... if it were on the west side somewhere it would make way more sense.

What are the thoughts about the idea of SRHS getting bought out by the new GHS/Palmetto conglomeration or Atrium? Would that result in improvements or would it be an ego bruise to Spartanburg for not having local control of its hospital?

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but I feel like the consolidations are generally bad for patients.  Likely the lack of competition will result in higher costs.  The quality of care could go either way.  That being said, I prefer this consolidation to an outsider takeover, and I hope this will solidify SRHS as an independent system for the foreseeable future.  But it feels like the lesser of two evils, to some extent.

Edit: And yeah, this is definitely a response to GHS, who have already made a pretty heavy push into Spartanburg.

Edited by westsider28

47 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I feel like if it weren't called "Greenville" Hospital System, they'd make better headway...

They’re not Greenville Health System anymore. Lol. 

23 hours ago, gman430 said:

They’re not Greenville Health System anymore. Lol. 

Aren't they, though? "Prisma" has stated: "The names and brands of individual hospitals under Prisma Health won’t change."

https://greenvillejournal.com/2018/09/25/ghs-unveils-new-name-logo-under-merger-with-palmetto-health/

13 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Aren't they, though? "Prisma" has stated: "The names and brands of individual hospitals under Prisma Health won’t change."

https://greenvillejournal.com/2018/09/25/ghs-unveils-new-name-logo-under-merger-with-palmetto-health/

Just the campuses will continue to have their names.