Spartanburg Area Economic Developments

hub-city

• 1 month later...

GSA Business has an article about the city's new Economic Development Director, Patty Block. She has been involved with other local organizations, including Leadership Spartanburg. More than 140 applications were submitted to fill the vacancy. Patty will officially begin work on July 27.

Edit: spelled her name incorrectly

Edited by Skyliner

• 3 weeks later...

Spartanburg is the second strongest housing market in the United States, according to BusinessWeek. They attribute it to Spartanburg being a college town and having stable jobs and steady flow of house/apartment renters. Spartanburg also "has the state's highest per capita college student population in South Carolina," which I didn't realize.

This is the type of listing that Spartanburg could not achieve if it were part of the old Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA, because statistics would be collected at that level.

Spartanburg is the second strongest housing market in the United States, according to BusinessWeek. They attribute it to Spartanburg being a college town and having stable jobs and steady flow of house/apartment renters. Spartanburg also "has the state's highest per capita college student population in South Carolina," which I didn't realize.

This is the type of listing that Spartanburg could not achieve if it were part of the old Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA, because statistics would be collected at that level.

Good article on the Spartanburg housing market. I keep my ear to the ground on most economic issues and from what I can tell residential real estate in Spartanburg County has withstood many of the pressures affecting housing in many area of the country. From a macro point of view the overall economy of Spartanburg has fared generally well through this recession although unemployment and commercial real estate vacancies are high.

It is interesting to note that virtually all the cities shown, perhaps with the exception of Boulder, are generally not regarded as "cool". Hey, even Greenville is on the list!

My only quibble with the article is the picture of Walnut Grove Plantation. Surely BW could have found a better image of our city!

Edited by roads-scholar

Kudos to Sparkle City! I don't find it hard to believe that it has the state's highest per capita college student population.

• 1 month later...

I hope this is the right topic...

GoUpstate.com (Spartanburg Herald-Journal) reported yesterday Food Lion's initial bid to acquire most of Bi-Lo assets.

If the acquisition does finalizes, five Food Lion or Bi-Lo locations in Spartanburg County may close because of dual presences. These include Cedar Springs/Southport roads and Reidville Road in Spartanburg, Inman, Lyman, and Woodruff. Existing Bi-Lo locations, though older, offer more amenities and necessities than Food Lion, i.e. pharmacy department, in store bank, etc. Also, Bi-Lo has maintained a longer presence and is more recognizable with the community.

• 7 months later...

Odds are they will stay as this group wanted to purchase them the last time around but were smart enough not to pay the 8 bil Blackstone wanted at the time. These guys (Centerbridge Paulson) want to pump money into the company and rebrand it where all the hotels under the ESH umbrella are called the same thing. They want the company to stay based in Spartanburg as they feel there is a lot of talent here that would not move elsewhere. Its good that Blackstone (who bought it from George) has a minority stake in the company and experience in hotel management as they also own La Quinta & Hilton. Its a win/win for Spartanburg as the jobs will stay here and these folks pump a lot of dough into the local economy.

• 3 weeks later...

CT&T United, an electric car manufacturer, is rumored to be announcing a new assembly and sales plant in Spartanburg on Thursday. It could bring between 300 and 400 jobs. This would obviously be great for our area. I'm not familiar with the company, but a high-tech/green technology manufacturer sounds like a good thing.

Herald-Journal article

The article also mentions that the company was/is looking for a North American headquarters and R&D center (likely not part of Thursday's anticipated announcement), which could bring 2,500 jobs over 5 years. If Spartanburg could land that as well (perhaps downtown?) that would be even better.

And let the incentives war begin: the city of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County have joined forces in creating a combined offer of $23.4 million to Caterpillar. This part of the article from Winston-Salem's newspaper bodes well for Spartanburg:

Given that legal notices for incentive packages appear to require more details here than the other communities, economists and site selectors caution against assuming that Winston-Salem is the front-runner for the project.

Caterpillar likely has made a similar commitment to the other communities, said John H. Boyd, the president of The Boyd Co. Inc., a site-selection company in Princeton, N.J.

He said he believes Spartanburg may be the front-runner at this stage because of its background in metal working and automotive manufacturing compared with the Triad.