Spartanburg Area Economic Developments

hub-city

For some reason my browser will not let me link the story, but an insurance company called Esurance is bringing 450 jobs to Greenville County. I do not know if this means downtown Greenville or not, but this is the kind of thing that could be a game changer for downtown Spartanburg. I would imagine a lot of those jobs are white collar jobs which we do not add very many of to in Spartanburg County. I am not complaining about the manufacturing jobs we add like the announcement above but this would have been on par with bringing CH2M Engineering downtown. For Greenville, this is just another drop in the bucket. I would love to know if the Spartanburg Chamber or city/county officials even bid on this.

I'm pretty sure those Esurance jobs are more like call center jobs; not exactly the same as engineering jobs.

But I strongly agree with you that it seems like Spartanburg leaders don't focus nearly enough on trying to bring white collar jobs to the area.  The manufacturing jobs are good, as you say, but we desperately need more white collar, non-manufacturing jobs in Spartanburg. 

We'll never move forward (higher wages, better quality of life, more entertainment/shopping/dining options, better education, etc) if we only keep trying to provide jobs for former textile workers (a dying breed anyway).  We educate plenty of college students, and we could retain them if we had more white collar jobs available.  As it is, graduates just move (often as near as Greenville).

• 4 weeks later...

While company officials have remained tight-lipped about the details, new documents filed with the county might shed some light on part of the automaker's plans.

According to site plans filed with the county, BMW will add a new 675,000-square-foot body shop. The facility will be next to the plant's existing west body shop.

The plans included a drawing for a future energy center adjacent to the new building. They also showed an addition of 371 spaces to its associate parking lot C behind the west body shop. The plant's website said about 450 team members are required to build a complete car body.

A new entrance providing direct access to the plant from Interstate 85 via Brockman-McClimon Road will be added, according to site plans. The entrance will tie in with an existing road on the plant's property — originally an extension of Deyoung Road — that will be rerouted around the new body shop.

Plans also show the addition of a 4,200-square-foot analysis center and a relocation of the plant's construction contractor yard to a site at Brockman-McClimon Road and Highway 101.

Source: GoUpstate.com

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Well, it's official now.  Rite Aid has announced that they'll build a $90 million, 900,000 sq ft distribution center along I-85 (between Hwy 9 and Hwy 221) in Spartanburg.  It will eventually employ 600 people.  It's their first new distribution center in 15 years as they consolidate here from existing Charlotte, Tuscaloosa, and Poca, WV centers.  Certainly good news.

• Like 2

Well, it's official now.  Rite Aid has announced that they'll build a $90 million, 900,000 sq ft distribution center along I-85 (between Hwy 9 and Hwy 221) in Spartanburg.  It will eventually employ 600 people.  It's their first new distribution center in 15 years as they consolidate here from existing Charlotte, Tuscaloosa, and Poca, WV centers.  Certainly good news.

I regard this a major economic development.  For Rite Aid to consolidate three centers into one, and that one being in Spartanburg, is significant. 

The distribution center will be on land at the corner of Bryant Road and Flatwood Road (north of I-85).  The H-J article talks about building a new, mile-long road to connect the site with Hwy 221 (in addition to existing roads).

Spartan, learning that this center would be on the eastern side of Spartanburg was one of the things I was most happy about.  That area needs investment like this.  Plus there's less traffic over there than the packed west side.

• 3 weeks later...

I was not sure where to post this but this looks like a good spot. I happened to bump into a buddy of mine who is an engineer out at CH2M Hill. I had not seen him in a good while and I asked him how things were out there. He said job wise good, but said management is actively looking for a new place in downtown Greenville. He's pissed about the prospect of driving to downtown Greenville every day (probably an hour from where he is).

Can we not retain anyone or is it that they don't want to be retained?

If CH2M-Hill leaves, that would represent another huge failure by local leaders.  These jobs are worth far more to our economy (and community in general) than all the warehouse and Bass Pro Shops jobs that our county leaders continue to be embarrassingly overexcited about.  If we're looking for long-term success for Spartanburg, it's jobs like those at CH2M-Hill that we must attract and retain.  Greenville, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc haven't earned all their success and accolades because of their warehouse jobs...

You are right on Westsider. Jobs like CH2M Hill have to be retained. The County is an embarrassment as it

continues to go after warehouse and distribution jobs that will not improve the quality of life of the residents.

How can you attract white collar jobs if you can't even keep the ones you have (home grown at that)? David

Britt made the statement that Amazon was in our wheelhouse, what a pitiful statement to make. All Council

and Chamber members should be replaced if they let CH2M Hill get away. Obviously, they can't make them

stay, but as the City has shown the type of incentive packages it can provide, the City and County must

put together a package that makes it too hard for CH2M Hill to pass on.

The County bent over and let Bass Pro do as it wanted for a site that will benefit Greenville more than

Spartanburg. Guess who will foot the bill for that. Spartanburg County Council is a joke.

• Like 1

You are right on Westsider. Jobs like CH2M Hill have to be retained. The County is an embarrassment as it

continues to go after warehouse and distribution jobs that will not improve the quality of life of the residents.

How can you attract white collar jobs if you can't even keep the ones you have (home grown at that)? David

Britt made the statement that Amazon was in our wheelhouse, what a pitiful statement to make. All Council

and Chamber members should be replaced if they let CH2M Hill get away. Obviously, they can't make them

stay, but as the City has shown the type of incentive packages it can provide, the City and County must

put together a package that makes it too hard for CH2M Hill to pass on.

The County bent over and let Bass Pro do as it wanted for a site that will benefit Greenville more than

Spartanburg. Guess who will foot the bill for that. Spartanburg County Council is a joke.

Okay, everybody, just calm down.

First of all, CH2M hasn't gone anywhere yet.  Second, I'm proud of what David Britt and the rest of the council and Economic Futures Group has done to attract (1) Amazon, (2) Toray, (3) Bass Pro Shops, (4) Rite Aid, (5) etc. etc. etc.  I lot of cities would love to see this sort of success.  Did these companies choose Greenville?  Did these companies choose Charlotte? Did these companies choose Raleigh?  No. They chose Spartanburg because of all the hard work and incentives put together by an outstanding team of people who deeply care about their community.

CH2M needs to be encouraged to stay.  But corporate relocations happen my friends.  Oh, did you hear: Chiquita left Charlotte after a lot of hoopla and just two years away from their move from Cincinnati.  

The city should step in here and try and get these folks downtown. I know they looked at the Montgomery Building briefly and passed (as I would also), but why not try to partner with the city for a new green building similar to QS1. Heck there is plenty of space where that old HBJ building is coming down and 2 parking decks already in place.

This reminds me somewhat of the ESH situation where Spartanburg is just not taken seriously as a city, but more of a stopover place.

Okay, everybody, just calm down.

First of all, CH2M hasn't gone anywhere yet.  Second, I'm proud of what David Britt and the rest of the council and Economic Futures Group has done to attract (1) Amazon, (2) Toray, (3) Bass Pro Shops, (4) Rite Aid, (5) etc. etc. etc.  I lot of cities would love to see this sort of success.  Did these companies choose Greenville?  Did these companies choose Charlotte? Did these companies choose Raleigh?  No. They chose Spartanburg because of all the hard work and incentives put together by an outstanding team of people who deeply care about their community.

CH2M needs to be encouraged to stay.  But corporate relocations happen my friends.  Oh, did you hear: Chiquita left Charlotte after a lot of hoopla and just two years away from their move from Cincinnati.  

Oh and Sealed Air is also leaving Duncan for Charlotte. Again we need the corporate and manufacturing jobs and not the distribution jobs. I can remember working during the summer at BMG distribution in Duncan in 1986 and making $7 an hour. 25 years later I am sure the starting salary at a distribution center in about the same and probably less at Bass Pro Shops or any other retailer.

Bravo David Britt for all these killer jobs you are bringing in!

Edited by Sparkleman

Oh and Sealed Air is also leaving Duncan for Charlotte. Again we need the corporate and manufacturing jobs and not the distribution jobs. I can remember working during the summer at BMG distribution in Duncan in 1986 and making $7 an hour. 25 years later I am sure the starting salary at a distribution center in about the same and probably less at Bass Pro Shops or any other retailer.

Bravo David Britt for all these killer jobs you are bringing in!

And besides competing with other cities on quality of life, Spartanburg is also competing with other cities (and states) who offer lavish incentives ("corporate welfare").  Chiquita is a perfect example of a company who played one city (Cincinnati) against another city (Charlotte and others) for the most generous incentives package only to bail again.  Regarding Sealed Air, as I've said, corporate relocations do and will occur.  I'm not here defending their decision but their reasons for leaving for Charlotte were the same, I believe, as Rite Aid's reasons to relocate to Spartanburg. 

Yes, Rite Aid's wage will be less than Sealed Air's but, in the battle for jobs, I'll take 600 distribution center positions anytime.   Bravo David Britt!

Finally, if you, or anyone else, isn't happy with Britt or the council, vote for someone else!  I hear people complain all the time about their elected officials but local election after local election 15-20% of the registered voters turnout. 

Edited by roads-scholar

We are the kings when it comes to incentives.  That's why we got Rite Aid, Bass Pro, etc.  We just prefer to announce "600 jobs!" because they're new and it sounds impressive and it placates the former textile workers / uneducated masses looking for jobs.  We are TERRIBLE at the non-press-release-friendly duty of retaining high-paying jobs (which have a MUCH bigger impact on our overall economy).  I believe CH2M-Hill employs several hundred and likely $50,000+ salaried jobs versus $7-$11 wage jobs with few to no benefits.  That is a SUBSTANTIAL difference, not something to just brush off.

For the record, I am one of the 15-20% who vote in local elections.  The bigger problem is getting people to run against the incumbents.  The two county council seats that recently had challengers unseated the incumbents, showing that people aren't pleased with these guys and they are willing to vote for someone else if there is an option.

Edited by westsider28

I agree that it seems to be mostly distribution and other low wage jobs that not only Spartanburg, but the entire state seems to be getting.

We are paying more and more (in incentives) for lower and lower paying jobs. That will lead to lower median income, and more of the tax burden placed on residents (versus business).  It seems like the good paying jobs go to the Raleigh's, Charlotte's and Atlanta's and the smaller cities are just falling further behind.

• Like 1

CH2M currently leases their building out on I-26.  If they want to continue to lease then Spartanburg has to have a large enough office space with adequate parking for thier corporation. I'm not sure if that currently exists downtown. That is why I was intrigued when Gibbs mentioned a possible office building behind the Marriott.  We need a private developer to step up and reach out to these guys and not simply blame the city for not providing enough incentives.