Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolverine

Key Bank Building Facade Restoration

11 posts in this topic

The notable landmark Key Bank building downtown is currently receiving a facade restoration. They've ripped off the ugly modernized top. Does this mean they will be putting the old cornice back up? That would be remarkable.

I should have taken pictures of this.

It's harder to take pictures with a bigger camera on a bike though. I going to have to drive around town to get these shots from my car.

I drove through AA this weekend, and I noticed workers working on the top of the building. It looked as if they were putting up some copper up at the top. I do not know if it is going to be finished with copper or if it was just flashing.

When I walked past there Saturday (over a week ago), they had a lot of copper already put in. I think the cornice is made out of Copper. It was looking good.

YES!

I've been down there several times recently and it's definitely a vast improvement. Not that everything always has to be pre-WWII retro, but in this case, it does!

Thanks for the pics by the way.

Ah, yes....me likey.

It looks gorgeous. Major improvement over the old.

[1960s property owner voice]That old cornice is falling apart. Tear it off and put in a flat stuccoy finish[/1960s property owner voice]

Ok, I think I've seen this before, but I don't know what's going on. They have the copper there, but it looks like they're putting opaque coatings on it. Why use copper if it's going to be covered up like that, or why cover it up if you're using copper? Is this what they used to do back in the day? I don't understand. :dunno:

^ Copper lasts a long time, which is my best guess. But yeah, it's painted over.

BTW, check this building out at night. It will make your jaw drop. The lighting scheme is amazing.