Fred Thompson makes it official... he is running.

michaelskis

According to multiple media sources, former senator Fred Thompson is running for President... (officially).

There has been some debate on if he is entering the race too late, but everyone has known that he will enter the race at some point. One of the arguments for him waiting is the cast of republican candidates have started to whittle down, and Thompson has been able to get much more media attention by setting him self apart from the other candidates. They also site that he has been able to run in the top three in most polls that he was included in, often finishing right behind Rudy.

One of the arguments saying that he waited to late is that people have already donated to many of the other republican candidates, noting the unimpressive fundraising efforts so far. They believe that most people will vote for those candidates that they donated to early in the race.

What are your thoughts on Mr. Thompson, do you think that he entered the debate too late, do you think that there are any democrats that could beat him, and why do you have these feelings.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing to me the media makes such a noise about Thompson when they continue to ignore and marginalize Ron Paul and, as a result, the media is at risk of marginalizing itself given the blatant inequities on how they cover the candidates.

Until Thompson actually takes a stand on something I don't think anyone knows how he might affect the race. In any case it really won't matter, a Democrat is going to ultimately win this seat anyway. People are tired and fed up with the National GOP.

I think it was probably a good idea for him to wait til later to enter the race. The other candidates have been spending for months and Thompson STILL polls better than they do. I think part of it is because the voters aren't sick and tired of seeing him now, since he's been laying low.

The latest Newsweek had an excellent article on him. I think he'll be a pretty strong contender.

It's amazing to me the media makes such a noise about Thompson when they continue to ignore and marginalize Ron Paul and, as a result, the media is at risk of marginalizing itself given the blatant inequities on how they cover the candidates.

Until Thompson actually takes a stand on something I don't think anyone knows how he might affect the race. In any case it really won't matter, a Democrat is going to ultimately win this seat anyway. People are tired and fed up with the National GOP.

A while back Thompson was interviewed and was not able to mention one single accomplishment of his in the US Senate. He was also unable to tell the reporter why he wants to be president. Talk about an empty suit! As hollow as they come.

And the Republican with a real message of change and reform, Ron Paul is completely ignored. The Republican Party should wake up damn quick, and realize Paul is the one with the message that the American people want to hear.

Ron Paul is obviously no religious fanatic, so who knows what the loonie republican base would think of him. I wonder of Fred Thompson is gonna cozy up to them?

I think Thompson will do quite well in the Republican Primary. He is going to try and emulate Reagan. That's all the Republicans want every Presidential Election: Ronald Reagan Redux. It's rather obsessive actually. Democrats do admire JFK but it's not on the same level of idol worship as the Republican side toward The Gipper. Fred Thompson will hurt Romney the most because his conservative credentials are more credible and not tarnished by flip flops on social issues. Giuliani will gain by attracting more moderate Republicans and Independents turned off my Thompson's allegiance to the most conservative elements of the party. McCain is all but sunk and will eventually endorse Giuliani to spite Thompson. Fred was originally a McCain supporter and not planning on challenging him but John McCain went down in the flames over supporting comprehensive immigration reform and Thompson saw an opening.

^Indeed. It's interesting that even Ronald Reagan would not qualify as the "Ronald Reagan" of today. He was at best a mediocre president but he has become the holy grail the GOP is searching for, which is why someone like Thompson, who is admittedly a good actor, can step in and lay claim to best being the new "Ronald Reagan". It's funny that while all of the candidates speak of Ronald Reagan, they forget that the current president is the end product of more than 25 years of Reaganism yet they are all loath to admit that he even exists.

It amazes me that some Americans, after experiencing one of, if not the worst president in American history, are so willing to jump on the Thompson bandwagon without first understanding his stand are on the various issues. I didn't watch the above videos but if his stand is "states rights" on social issues, then that sounds like the cry to every bigot in the country "vote for me, I am your man".

That's my point. Education should be, at the highest level, a state issue. You have no idea the amount of paperwork and silliness teachers are forced to endure because of federal meddling. NCLB is not only a failure, but an impediment to learning. Its farcial to believe that every child will be 'proficient' in 2014.

I'm not saying the feds need to get out of everything, but there are planty of things that would be best handled at the state level.

Fred Thompson is turning out to be a more interesting candidiate than I thought.

He recently said that he won't be discussing religion in the campaign, and also intimated that he does not go to church. How easy it would have been for him to pander to the Falwellian wing of the republican party. In fact it was thought that he would immediately try to wear the badge of "true conservative".

Gosh the Falwellian republicans are simply outta luck this go around. Their last hope has admitted he doesn't even attend church.

Apparently, though he denies involvement with it, there was a website called phonyfred.org that was created to smear Phil Thompson by people associated with the Mic Romney campaign. Apparently Romney has the same people working for him that were working for Bush in 2000 that smeared McCain in 2000 by claiming that he sired an illegitimate Black baby.

phoneyfred.org has magically completely disappeared once it's source was discovered, but thanks to Mr. Internet, you can see what was there here.

Apparently, though he denies involvement with it, there was a website called phonyfred.org that was created to smear Phil Thompson by people associated with the Mic Romney campaign. Apparently Romney has the same people working for him that were working for Bush in 2000 that smeared McCain in 2000 by claiming that he sired an illegitimate Black baby.

phoneyfred.org has magically completely disappeared once it's source was discovered, but thanks to Mr. Internet, you can see what was there here.

I have a friend who "dated" Fred Thompson in the late 90s. She is quite beautiful and would now be far too old for him (she's 40). Although to this day, she speaks highly of him, but thinks he's a better actor than politician. I feel sorry for her, though. I am certain before its all over, she'll be dragged through the mud as an ex of Fred.

Archived