The Montgomery Building

Spartan

They are going to have to get to work pretty quick indeed. I appreciate the pictures that they have already posted, but it looks like all they've done is exposed some of the original interiors. if it is going to be "totally" renovated by 2013, then they've got to get more than a handyman with a hammer...

Also, the other day, there was an article about a bill at the statehouse calling for tax incentives for buildings that have sat vacant for more than 5 years. They could be waiting on passage... don't know, but I would feel better about the project when ownership actually changes hands.

Edited by hub-city

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After speaking with the VP of one of the major banks in town this weekend he said that as much as he would like to save a historical building like the Montgomery Bldg, the amount of work and cost is just too much and the return too little. Of course this was just his opinion (and probably his banks), but he went on to say that much of the building has been ruined over time and would need complete rebuilding not restoration. The fact that there is no central air/heat in a building of that size further complicates things. He says it would be easier and more cost effective to just knock it down and start over with old looking new archetecture.

If you are CH2M Hill and you want to relocate, the only reason you'd take the Montgomery Bldg is location as you're close to downtown and the Marriot. Beaumont Mill is newer, finished, and all you'd need is parking. Plus you are still within 1 mile of downtown and the hotel.

CH2M Hill is not going to Beaumont Mill. They will stay in the County, go to Greenville or the Mongomery Building. The Montgomery Building has cosmetic and mechanical issues, but its structurally sound. The City, County and all interested parties should do everything possible to keep CH2M in Spartanburg. I am scared that we will have a repeat of the Hubbel lighting disaster from a few years back. We can't afford to loose a quality white collar employer like CH2M Hill.

CH2M Hill is not going to Beaumont Mill. They will stay in the County, go to Greenville or the Mongomery Building. The Montgomery Building has cosmetic and mechanical issues, but its structurally sound. The City, County and all interested parties should do everything possible to keep CH2M in Spartanburg. I am scared that we will have a repeat of the Hubbel lighting disaster from a few years back. We can't afford to loose a quality white collar employer like CH2M Hill.

Then why was Beaumont Mill mentioned in original article as one of the two places they would consider? If its Montgomery Bldg. or bust, the city better be ready to pony up in a serious way to keep them.

Wow, I didn't know about the Hubbell Lighting thing (just looked it up). We definitely can't have that happen in this case. Civic leaders need to wrangle together every state/county/city tax break or incentive they can muster to get CH2M Hill in the Montgomery Building. This HAS to happen.

Sparkleman, of course it would be easier/cheaper to tear down and rebuild, that's why we've already lost so many historic buildings. Renovating an historic building is never just about dollars & cents (or else it would rarely be done); it's about being a good corporate citizen and caring about local history (among other things). For instance, I'm sure the Poinsett Hotel in Greenville cost more to renovate than it would have to tear down and build new, but they restored it anyway.

Beaumont Mills was considered, but the owner (Jimmy Gibbs) was apparently unwilling to upfit, So it was scratched from the short list. The Montgomery Building is our best shot unless someone like George Johnson steps up and uses one of his vacant properties or one of the City sites and builds a new building to suit them. If this doesn't happen I'm afraid it may be lights out for Spartanburg.

FYI the Poinsett had over $2,000,000 in tax credits that it sold to GE.

Okay, off-topic really quick: Why would Gibbs prefer to leave Beaumont Mill empty to having an actual tenant? Why does everything in this town work so backwards from the rest of the civilized world?!

Back on topic, I'd be fine with new construction (like in Renaissance Park), but we have to keep them in Spartanburg. Also, I'm sure you could get tax credits to renovate the Montgomery Building, as it is on the National Register of Historic Places.

I'd be happy if they decided to stay in their existing building out on I-26.

Well if we can't get them in the city, I'd rather have them in the county than in Greenville. I really can't see them leaving as probably 3/4 of their employees are from/live in Spartanburg. Also the number of employess they have is similar to QS1 so a building of that size would do if the city decided to pony up for a new building. This is a little out of the box, but why not put up a new building across the street from the Montgomery Bldg where the downtown Hammond Brown Jennings used to be and that old bank/coffee shop currently sits? This way you could take advantage of multiple parking decks and be downtown in a new building.

Also to answer westsider28, I've been here my whole life and thats just how we roll. Gibbs probably wants the city to suck him off and give him something extra to upfit the building like they have GDJ in the past.

From my understanding (which is limited) Lockwood Greene used to own the current property. They then sold that property and entered into a lease agreement with the new owners. It is now time to renegotiate that lease. CH2Hill wants some major improvements made to the current location. As with most negotiations, they must have other options in case they can't reach a deal. That is why they are seriously looking at sites in both Spartanburg and Greenville.

From my understanding (which is limited) Lockwood Greene used to own the current property. They then sold that property and entered into a lease agreement with the new owners. It is now time to renegotiate that lease. CH2Hill wants some major improvements made to the current location. As with most negotiations, they must have other options in case they can't reach a deal. That is why they are seriously looking at sites in both Spartanburg and Greenville.

Understand. When Lockwood Greene was an independent entity they were closely tied to the Spartanburg community. Nowadays I'm not so sure. CH2MHill could be captivated by the bright lights of Greenville but in my gut I feel they'll stay put.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

There's an update on the Montgomery Building in Sunday's Herald-Journal.  The main story is that CH2M Hill is no longer considering it for their offices, which is a bummer.  It's a separate discussion from the building, but I really hope they stay in Spartanburg.  We can't afford to lose a high-paying, white-collar employer like them (especially after the recent Sealed Air relocation news).

Other than that, the article doesn't have much info.  The owner is planning to list the building with a broker in the hopes of attracting a tenant.  Renovating the building is obviously a huge priority for the City, so they've been trying to help as much as possible.

I looked at the original architectural drawings for the MB at the library last week.  What a beautiful building.  But the wait for restoration continues...