The Montgomery Building

Spartan

Despite the fact that there is a parking deck diagonally across the street from this building, I'm mildly skeptical about how successful retail will be since the primary pedestrian activity in Spartanburg is not (currently) along Church Street. That said, I hope I'm wrong and that more pedestrian traffic will be generated because of it. 

49 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Despite the fact that there is a parking deck diagonally across the street from this building, I'm mildly skeptical about how successful retail will be since the primary pedestrian activity in Spartanburg is not (currently) along Church Street. That said, I hope I'm wrong and that more pedestrian traffic will be generated because of it. 

I'm mildly optimistic because (1) the city will (or is supposed to) improve the streetscaping around the MB which should help with pedestrian access, (2) with 70+ apartments, offices, and other retail, there should be demand for a coffee shop, and (3) no such shop is in the immediate area serving  "The George" and the courthouse area. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More decorative panels have been added to the third bay on the front (looks like they're holding off on the large "M" emblem on the 2nd bay until a bit later).  Also, the north side copper bay windows have had their emblems polished, and they're being painted the same color as the copper retail space frames (see 3rd photo below; and compare to my photo from March 20).  It's a shame they're not leaving the copper exposed, but I suppose it would tarnish anyway.  And painting it is likely more protective over the long term.  Progress is continuing swiftly!

5ad02182e60e5_IMG_9849(2).thumb.jpg.8aa109d72f9676210b4c6059e7caa553.jpg

5ad0218722262_IMG_9860(2).thumb.jpg.84886ac0bd0b0a9ebe01e4a5b587aacb.jpg

IMG_9859.thumb.JPG.3584e17fe794989eb4d1e6a3e49febfa.JPG

During next month's Artwalk (May 17) there will be a silent auction of photos to raise money for the restoration of the Carolina Theater.  It's just a start and mostly to raise awareness; I presume that fundraising efforts will ramp up following this event.  The Facebook page mentions that the full restoration is estimated at $5.5 million.  I hope the whole community comes together to support this project.

@hub-city You're correct; the bay windows and storefronts are being painted a nice, rich forest green.  Not sure it comes through properly in these photos, but here you go:

IMG_9894.thumb.JPG.e89fd931ff28aeac0f8536633b74961d.JPG

IMG_9905.thumb.JPG.ca63b613b08fc3fc7952d9a291be6e11.JPG

Also, more decorative panels:

5ad93b6600b1a_IMG_9906(2).thumb.jpg.0866100a51b88cefd2ac238c4e3ed563.jpg

11 hours ago, westsider28 said:

During next month's Artwalk (May 17) there will be a silent auction of photos to raise money for the restoration of the Carolina Theater.  It's just a start and mostly to raise awareness; I presume that fundraising efforts will ramp up following this event.  The Facebook page mentions that the full restoration is estimated at $5.5 million.  I hope the whole community comes together to support this project.

@hub-city You're correct; the bay windows and storefronts are being painted a nice, rich forest green.  Not sure it comes through properly in these photos, but here you go:

IMG_9894.thumb.JPG.e89fd931ff28aeac0f8536633b74961d.JPG

IMG_9905.thumb.JPG.ca63b613b08fc3fc7952d9a291be6e11.JPG

Also, more decorative panels:

5ad93b6600b1a_IMG_9906(2).thumb.jpg.0866100a51b88cefd2ac238c4e3ed563.jpg

Looks nice.  Thanks for posting!

Here's a fantastic H-J article with an up-close look at the decorative panels.  Simply beautiful.  It says that the process of making the replica pieces takes about a week per design (making the mold from the old panel, enhancing it, pouring the new piece).  Some panels are made for a specific spot on the building, others (like the pillars between windows) are interchangeable.  Very interesting.

As a general construction update, all the exterior panels should be up by mid-June.  The main renovation--apartments, office space, common areas--should be complete by early November.   The retail spots will be up-fitted by each tenant as they're leased, I presume.  And of course the theater is a separate project.  Exciting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happy 93rd birthday to the Montgomery Building!  It opened on this day in 1925.  Can't wait to see it fully restored and reopened later this year!

426810474_MBjustfinishedJune1925.JPG.1ca389be5bab381a90fd1c00364bc353.JPG

The caption beneath this photo read, "This 10 story $1,250,000 combined office, theatre, and store building which was promoted by the Chamber of Commerce and financed by 355 citizens of the city will be officially opened today.  It stands at the corner of North Church and Elm streets."

• Like 2