The Montgomery Building

Spartan

41 minutes ago, roads-scholar said:

As nice as the MB appears in this and other photos seeing the building up close and personal gives one an idea on how thorough the renovations were.  

Next time I find myself in the upstate, I'll try to check it out! (An RJ Rockers visit included)

I know this renovation was a long time coming. I'm glad they executed it so well! The wait seems to have been worth it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 1Spartanburg said:

Someone said that USC Upstate leased the space.

Interesting.  I noticed a USC Upstate sign on a building at 324 North Pine as well.  They already have the Gallery on Main and The George downtown.  If you're correct, I wonder what their plan is for the space.

Oh, and here's a photo of Sidewall progress from several days ago.  Doesn't look like much, but I think they're focusing on back-of-house right now (behind the drywall in the back).

IMG_20190602_154300988.thumb.jpg.9d1273f072ccc05e07c19ab334ad88c1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw on an updated CRE listing for space in the MB that the recently leased space is labeled "Art Gallery".  That, together with 1Spartanburg's report that it's USC Upstate, leads me to believe that the Upstate Gallery on Main (currently at 172 E Main) will likely be moving here.  If so, they'll need a new name...

1710278437_mbtenants.JPG.7ef6502c72617c8cf7e7b4ce81928909.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, sptgguy said:

No soft opening yesterday...they were still building in the dining room. They have been practicing in the kitchen though as they burnt a pizza on Saturday that you could smell in the eleator all the way up to the 3rd floor. 

Sorry about the misinformation.  Evidently the original plan changed. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

One Spartanburg has commissioned a study examining redevelopment possibilities for the Carolina Theatre.  They've determined there's an opening in our market that it could fill as a ~1200 seat venue, and a more detailed financial study will follow. 

Hopefully we see some concrete plans / movement on this by the end of the year.  This could be an asset unlike anything else in the state.

Edit: H-J article

Edited by westsider28

• 3 months later...
On 9/4/2019 at 5:37 PM, westsider28 said:

Saw on an updated CRE listing for space in the MB that the recently leased space is labeled "Art Gallery".  That, together with 1Spartanburg's report that it's USC Upstate, leads me to believe that the Upstate Gallery on Main (currently at 172 E Main) will likely be moving here.  If so, they'll need a new name...

1710278437_mbtenants.JPG.7ef6502c72617c8cf7e7b4ce81928909.JPG

So, that "art gallery" space has said "leased" for 9 months, but remains empty.

However, the yellow space in the above floorplan is now leased and had considerable interior work being done today (many workers on-site, interior walls being added, etc).  Anyone know the tenant?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 3:56 PM, westsider28 said:

The permits were tough to read because they were facing inward, but I believe they said Green Papaya Salon. (and possibly a barber shop, too?)

Indeed it's Green Papaya (not sure if it's a relocation or additional location) and Oxford Barber (which appears to have a location in Greenville).

IMG_3098.thumb.JPG.b1a1b7910348790e178a25d4bd266162.JPG  IMG_3100.thumb.JPG.c1f4f2d812aea56f0bc2a104ab70a2a4.JPG

• 2 months later...

Both Green Papaya Salon and The Oxford Barber Company are now open.  The retail spot next to Sidewall that was previously leased (but then sat untouched for months) appears to be back on the market.  The office space on floors 2 and 3 is still available, though there seems to be some interior work happening on the 3rd floor.

IMG_3360.thumb.JPG.816d165c4ff1302f47e047217a6000e3.JPG

And a bonus photo

IMG_3396.thumb.JPG.eb30abb8b6006676e940d67065933a24.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

(this is what I was told..but it could be wrong )The third floor is being subdivided into smaller sections that are readily availalbe for rental. The thought is that a small buisness can move into one of the spaces or more than one and not have to worry about fitting out the space. There is a shared workroom/kitchen area on the floor for all the offices to share. 

• Like 3