The Montgomery Building

Spartan

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...

According to this Q3 Office report by NAI-Earle Furman (NAI-EF Q3-21 Office.pdf); 13,027 sq ft of office space has been leased in the Montgomery Building.  I believe this means the whole 2nd floor has been leased.  Anyone know who may have leased the space?

Edit: Also mentioned in that document: "There is 44,000 SF currently underway, representing the largest under construction pipeline in over three years." Where is this?  Could this be the mystery project near Morgan Square (H-J lot)?

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Maybe they're counting the Courthouse? The new project at 100 E Main isn't approved yet, so it wouldn't be counted towards this total.

Nah, the courthouse is 340k sq ft.  Way bigger.  Not sure what they mean.  There is 40k sq ft available in the QS/1 building.  That's not "new" though.

55 minutes ago, westsider28 said:

Nah, the courthouse is 340k sq ft.  Way bigger.  Not sure what they mean.  There is 40k sq ft available in the QS/1 building.  That's not "new" though.

Right, but most of that is courtrooms and holding cells and what not. Actual office space is probably less. But that's just a guess. I have no idea what it could be otherwise.

On 10/14/2021 at 6:11 PM, westsider28 said:

According to this Q3 Office report by NAI-Earle Furman (NAI-EF Q3-21 Office.pdf); 13,027 sq ft of office space has been leased in the Montgomery Building.  I believe this means the whole 2nd floor has been leased.  Anyone know who may have leased the space?

Edit: Also mentioned in that document: "There is 44,000 SF currently underway, representing the largest under construction pipeline in over three years." Where is this?  Could this be the mystery project near Morgan Square (H-J lot)?

I heard a medical outfit has leased the 2nd floor of the MB and is bringing 75 jobs with it. No idea who it is though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 10:11 AM, Sparkleman said:

I heard a medical outfit has leased the 2nd floor of the MB and is bringing 75 jobs with it. No idea who it is though.

Good intel! Agape Care Group will lease 13,027 square feet on the second floor of the Montgomery Building. The space will host 33 knowledge-based jobs and 43 skilled clerical positions, bringing a total of 76 jobs over a five-year period as the company grows.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, westsider28 said:

Unfortunately, Sidewall Pizza is permanently closing this location.  Their last day open is January 22.

IMO, their pizza was good, but their hours were confusing and seemed to be constantly changing.

Hopefully a replacement can be found relatively quickly.

I never tried their pizza but heard it was good.  

I also was confused by their hours of operation.  When driving and walking by and before the pandemic their business hours seemed consistent.  But since April, 2020 they've been all over the place it seems.   When I have seen patrons, the place has always been moderately busy. 

Maybe staffing issues?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So apparently, there's a plan by a developer to renovate the Carolina Theater into . . . an e-sports arena.  There's a public survey you can take about the idea here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PCNV5NB?fbclid=IwAR38Jqu2NVMVC6_jlSkd6-_0xbCJRddF3cq31gOglEM5ksFpEIbSdX2mc1g

1877524730_CTproposedesportsarena.thumb.jpg.bf9b36f055b18e820c1b75d1704da2ee.jpg

I'm not thrilled about this idea.  I understand the growing popularity of e-sports (I've watched some online myself), but I don't think Spartanburg or this venue is right for it.  The big leagues tend to stick to big cities, and those are the only ones with a significant (paying) fan base.  Also, we desperately need a mid-sized live-music venue, and the Carolina Theater would be perfect for that.  I don't understand how e-sports would be a safer bet financially than a music/event venue...

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, westsider28 said:

So apparently, there's a plan by a developer to renovate the Carolina Theater into . . . an e-sports arena.  There's a public survey you can take about the idea here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PCNV5NB?fbclid=IwAR38Jqu2NVMVC6_jlSkd6-_0xbCJRddF3cq31gOglEM5ksFpEIbSdX2mc1g

1877524730_CTproposedesportsarena.thumb.jpg.bf9b36f055b18e820c1b75d1704da2ee.jpg

I'm not thrilled about this idea.  I understand the growing popularity of e-sports (I've watched some online myself), but I don't think Spartanburg or this venue is right for it.  The big leagues tend to stick to big cities, and those are the only ones with a significant (paying) fan base.  Also, we desperately need a mid-sized live-music venue, and the Carolina Theater would be perfect for that.  I don't understand how e-sports would be a safer bet financially than a music/event venue...

I need to learn more about the e-sports market and e-sports phenomenom before commenting but my instincts tell me this is not the best use for the Carolina Theater.  I'm curious who the developer is and what input the residents of the MB will have on this.  

I dunno. It's been vacant for what, 40-50 years? Why not give this a shot. We may not be a huge e-sports hub today, but the opportunity to get in on what is essentially the ground floor of this industry might be worth a shot. If it doesn't work, the theatre will still be there.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I think the theater becomes more relevant if we can ever get Church St to have a real road diet. Like, wide sidewalks, fewer travel lanes, etc. This building feels disconnected even though its so close. Crossing Church AND St John, although not difficult, is a huge mental barrier.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 9:22 PM, timbach said:

Honestly, could be a big regional draw for the area since there's nothing quite like it anywhere close.

What else would they do with the theater? It's not really going to be able to compete with the Peace Center being so close.

And with our very own Chapman Cultural Center being right around the corner now, I'm with you!

1 hour ago, Santi said:

And with our very own Chapman Cultural Center being right around the corner now, I'm with you! @timbach

Chapman is too small (~500 seats) and SMA is too large (~3200 seats).  The Carolina Theater would be an ideal size at 800-1000 capacity (similar to The Orange Peel in Asheville) for concerts or other events (heck, even e-sports on a part-time basis).  Music will always have a bigger in-person paying audience than gaming.  Music can be supported in communities of all sizes.  With a competent promoter, yes we can compete with Greenville.  There's over 1 million people in the Upstate, we can have multiple venues that are successful.  Flexible mid-size venue with a focus on music and event hosting is what I would do.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Posting this here because I think it's actually on the MB parcel, even though it may interact with the Fairfield Inn.  Historic windows (like the rest of the building) have been installed, and there's HVAC units and a furnace vent.  It looks like they're setting up a tenant space for the basement / boiler room under there.  It would actually be a cool restaurant location, especially since there could be a ton of outdoor seating.  Guess we'll just have to continue to wait and see what's going on here.

PXL_20221021_214112127.thumb.jpg.f05d25e46251b82595129e00a364bc89.jpg

PXL_20221021_214205198.thumb.jpg.a82ddf176a535ef5afb0031e83ea5396.jpg

PXL_20221021_214221402.thumb.jpg.e291c2cbc50ba184b31fc78f42d16dfb.jpg

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

More info in this H-J article about possible plans for an e-sports arena.  Conventions Sports and Leisure International (CSL) is now compiling the public survey results.  OneSpartanburg tourism chief says the feedback he's heard so far "has been very supportive" which I think is a stretch, based on what I've seen here and on social media.  Mostly negative with some neutral is the feedback I've seen.  Seems a bit like the decision has already been made by the "powers that be" and the public survey is just theater (pardon the pun).

They do mention now it will be flexible-use, with more than just gaming: "The proposed facility would be one of the premier esports facilities in the U.S., but would also have the ability to host concerts, meetings, sporting events, movies and much more. It would also be a facility with numerous opportunities for locals to participate, including area high schools and universities."  That makes me a bit more supportive of the idea.

The article also mentions the esports club at USC Upstate, but like all colleges, they have their own facility on-campus.  So I don't see why students would go all the way to the Carolina Theater to game when they have a great facility steps away.  But anyway, if the developers can get financing for this idea, more power to them.  I'd love to see the theater renovated and back in use.

1 hour ago, westsider28 said:

More info in this H-J article about possible plans for an e-sports arena.  Conventions Sports and Leisure International (CSL) is now compiling the public survey results.  OneSpartanburg tourism chief says the feedback he's heard so far "has been very supportive" which I think is a stretch, based on what I've seen here and on social media.  Mostly negative with some neutral is the feedback I've seen.  Seems a bit like the decision has already been made by the "powers that be" and the public survey is just theater (pardon the pun).

They do mention now it will be flexible-use, with more than just gaming: "The proposed facility would be one of the premier esports facilities in the U.S., but would also have the ability to host concerts, meetings, sporting events, movies and much more. It would also be a facility with numerous opportunities for locals to participate, including area high schools and universities."  That makes me a bit more supportive of the idea.

The article also mentions the esports club at USC Upstate, but like all colleges, they have their own facility on-campus.  So I don't see why students would go all the way to the Carolina Theater to game when they have a great facility steps away.  But anyway, if the developers can get financing for this idea, more power to them.  I'd love to see the theater renovated and back in use.

Personally I HATE HATE HATE this. That theater / space can be so many great things. To make it an eSports arena is a shame. eSports are better suited for an ugly warehouse. Not a historic theater in downtown. 

• Like 1