Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gs3

Rolls Royce jet engines

37 posts in this topic

Look what I just stumbled on while doing a Google search. :shok:

The rumor of Rolls Royce looking at Upstate is definitely true.....and better yet, they are looking at The Matrix off the Southern Connector. Think there is any coincidence that jet engines use carbon fiber / composite materials and Cytec (who produces carbon fiber / composite materials) is located just blocks away on US 25 and announced their large expansion?

Article below:

http://www.thestate.com/business/story/166068.html

Well I note the article was so badly researched, they still made the mistake of saying that RR sold off its auto division in the 1990s.

"The company, which employs 8,000 in the United States, sold off its better-known auto division in the

I agree. Many newspapers today don't fact check like they should. The Greenville News is guilty of this it seems, at least weekly.

The good part of this story though, is that the writer spoke with the county council and quoted council members. Those are good solid facts. :thumbsup:

I'm sure now that The State has published this article, the Greenville News will have a follow up article shortly.

The Spartanburg HJ also ran an article on this. What wonderful potential.... hope it becomes a reality.

ARTICLE

EDIT - I just linked to the State article and it is the same writer. Sorry about that.

Usually potential projects that have codenames to them don't have details like this released so early in the game (at least not a name), but I guess this would be an exception, since we already knew that RR was scouting a site in SC. Now we play the waiting game. Landing this would be nothing short of awesome, especially if combined with Audi/VW in Anderson County and Project Skyline--but it's one thing at a time.

Usually potential projects that have codenames to them don't have details like this released so early in the game (at least not a name), but I guess this would be an exception, since we already knew that RR was scouting a site in SC. Now we play the waiting game. Landing this would be nothing short of awesome, especially if combined with Audi/VW in Anderson County and Project Skyline--but it's one thing at a time.

The next few months could turn out to be quite exciteing for the upstate.

I was suprised to see this as the main headline on the HJ and not on the Greenville News? Weird. But anyway, its definitely exciting news. To be a contender for something like that is great. It would do a lot to draw development down on to 185.

I wonder if the local press in the two other potential US sites has gotten ahold of this? I'd be curious to know who they are. The international site could present some pretty stiff competition as well, depending on exactly where it is.

I believe the articles indicated only one other U.S. location along with the international option. Combined with the Greenville site, there are a total of three possible choices according to the released information.

OK, thanks for the clarification. A Google search didn't reveal anything about the identities of the other two contenders.

I heard today that the other U.S. site is believed to be in Indiana, near their current operation. Came from a fairly reliable source.

I've actually worked on the drawings to build the test facility for this engine, its in Mississippi. Would be wonderful if they would choose Greenville SC. Would be closer to the test facility than Indiana...

I've actually worked on the drawings to build the test facility for this engine, its in Mississippi. Would be wonderful if they would choose Greenville SC. Would be closer to the test facility than Indiana...

So the test facility will be separate from the factory? Is the test facility near Stennis Space Center? Seems like a prime area for such.

I'm not surprised that the other U.S. site is in Indiana. I believe they just landed an auto manufacturing plant not too long ago.

Yep near there :) . Im not too sure about the difference between this place and whats proposed for Greenville. But this place is specifically designed to test engine bays

Any idea if the engines to be tested are for commercial planes or military planes? I get the feeling, from what I've been hearing, the facility Rolls Royce is looking to place in Greenville will manufacture engines for military planes. That is just my opinion, putting two and two together from some things I've heard. :dontknow:

RR makes both commercial turbines (Mostly for Airbus) and Military applications as well.

breakdown is about 2-1 commercial to Military.

Thanks legend2308 and GE Turbine Man. :thumbsup: Sounds like from what you know, it will be commercial avaition related.

I had heard some info that there is some sort of project going on with Rolls Royce, Lockheed (Greenville operation) and the government. Possible sales to other countries? Don't really know the details, which is why I assumed military :dontknow:

Hopefully RR will make the official announcement soon.

RR makes both commercial turbines (Mostly for Airbus) and Military applications as well.

breakdown is about 2-1 commercial to Military.

^ Nice! Those engines just need to have a "Made in Greenville" stamp on them! :lol::lol: