Cameron Village

ncwebguy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I posted this once before on this site, but I was at a meeting within the past year and Smedes York was there and someone asked him about the Eckerd/Teeter switch and his reply was along the lines of "it's not happening and I don't know how that rumor got started." That doesn't mean anything really, though, I know.

I think I posted this once before on this site, but I was at a meeting within the past year and Smedes York was there and someone asked him about the Eckerd/Teeter switch and his reply was along the lines of "it's not happening and I don't know how that rumor got started." That doesn't mean anything really, though, I know.

I remember Thalhimers being two stories, with entrancces on the current HT side and the lower entrance where Jos A Bank, Hudson Belk Express, etc. are now. An escalator was close to the lower floor's entrance maybe? The parking spaces under HT on the north part of the block (closest to Medlin-Davis Cleaners) was originally part of the department store.

If the current owners were willing to make the investment (not likely), the current Eckards/Rite Aid could be stripped to the steel, add another floor and attract a store like Nordstroms. With a third floor, the size of the current drug store area, they could at least match the square footage of the Southpoint store. Parking might be an issue, but the parking close to Broughton would be useful with a lower entrance. The York offices could move to the Ballentine space on Oberlin. There is usually plenty of parking near Talbots as well for high/weekend traffic. With Crabtree and Cary Town Center out of anchor spaces and TTC already having Saks, Cameron Village could be attractive. The only other option would be maybe downtown or North Hills East, assuming it isn't an office tower and collection of big boxes. With a lot of the higher end stores already in place, there should be enough of a market nearby. And they pride themselves on having a high level of customer service, fitting in with the Cameron Village/old Raleigh vibe.

HT operates some two-story stores in more urban areas, but it's not their typical layout.

A Nordstrom at Cameron Village would be really nice, but it's not a particularly visible shopping center. I could really see it at North Hills East sooner than I could at Cameron Village, because of the visibility and highway access if for no other reason.

I wish I could find an old picture of Thalhimers at this location. I happened upon one for the Crabtree store and I have an old picture of the Sears that preceded Thalhimers.

I think the thinking on HT would be that the store would be built on the Woodbern elevation and the lower level would be all covered parking. If they put and escalator up and "travelator" down, it would be the coolest grocery store in this state, at least!

Here's a photo of a travelator in an IKEA. The carts wheels simply lock into the travelator grooves. The only problem is when spherical fruit get loose. FORE!!

558239429_b07ca593d7.jpg

Archived