New Embassy Suites - Monroe North

numstead

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My concern is that this Coming Soon sign is going to sit for a few years (with the extension that was just granted). It looks like a great project, but with this one, I'll get excited when a concrete start date appears (not just a sign). :)

Joe

True. I think the extension was a formality. I don't think they could have physically finished the hotel in the time period that was set before. But you're right Joe, we'll see. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Both hotels will be great additions to downtown / the overall streetscape. I hope we see ground broken soon. 

GRDad, do you have any other info on the Midtowne hotel? 

Joe

Just what the local media has reported:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/08/state_loan_is_the_last_piece_i.html

• 3 months later...

With news that Suburban Inns wants to build a hotel out on the East Beltline.  Does that put a damper on Suburban Inns plans to build a Embassy Suite downtown?

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/12/developer_revives_plan_to_buil.html

States at the bottom of the article that they are "still working through the permit process" of the downtown Embassy Suites.  Not sure what the timeline would be, does anyone know? 

States at the bottom of the article that they are "still working through the permit process" of the downtown Embassy Suites.  Not sure what the timeline would be, does anyone know? 

I don't know the timeline, but I have heard what some of the issues are that they are having with that site. I still hope it happens as I think it'd be awesome for downtown and Monroe North. Game changer maybe.

I don't know the timeline, but I have heard what some of the issues are that they are having with that site. I still hope it happens as I think it'd be awesome for downtown and Monroe North. Game changer maybe.

Wait, you dont know specifics?  Your game is slipping! :)  j/k  Anyways, totally agree that this is a game changer.  For some reason I have an affinity for Embassy Suites, too.  When this project was first announced publicly it almost seemed too good to be true like that office proposal along the river in front of plaza towers.  I really, really hope this still happens.  Add the streetcar proposal on top of this, and this area would be hot if they both happened.

Wait, you dont know specifics?  Your game is slipping! :)  j/k  Anyways, totally agree that this is a game changer.  For some reason I have an affinity for Embassy Suites, too.  When this project was first announced publicly it almost seemed too good to be true like that office proposal along the river in front of plaza towers.  I really, really hope this still happens.  Add the streetcar proposal on top of this, and this area would be hot if they both happened.

Well I have heard specifics, but it's all second hand/third hand. It makes sense but unless I hear it from the horse's mouth... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps this has already been posted before...but I stumbled on this tonight as I was thinking about 616's new announcement up the street. Have we already seen this rendering/concept and I drew a blank? My apologies if so. It's pretty...intense. If you click the link you'll see the Grand Rapids one is in the second row. It's the most "dynamic" rendering I have seen so far. 

http://www.brpae.com/market/hospitality/

Perhaps this has already been posted before...but I stumbled on this tonight as I was thinking about 616's new announcement up the street. Have we already seen this rendering/concept and I drew a blank? My apologies if so. It's pretty...intense. If you click the link you'll see the Grand Rapids one is in the second row. It's the most "dynamic" rendering I have seen so far. 

http://www.brpae.com/market/hospitality/

That's the way to "layer" a building with parking in the middle, without it looking so much like there's parking in the middle. When looking at this building from up or down the street you won't even be able to tell those are parking levels.

Unlike that other building by the arena.

Agreed.  That's actually a pretty nice building, with the parking cleverly worked in.  It would still be nice to see non-parking uses looking out of this "windows" but.. if you have to include parking, this is how to do it.  Conceptually, it's pretty to similar to Ellis Parking's downtown ramp, which works very well.  It would be nice if they would do the whole building in brick, and make it look more like that Tucson Residence Inn on the same page, but that might be asking too much...  That's a gorgeous hotel, but this is one is pretty good, too.

That's the way to "layer" a building with parking in the middle, without it looking so much like there's parking in the middle. When looking at this building from up or down the street you won't even be able to tell those are parking levels.

Unlike that other building by the arena.

• 3 months later...

“We’ve had issues with a lot of things falling into place for the (Monroe) site,” said Peter Beukema, partner at Suburban Inns."

http://mibiz.com/news/real-estate/item/21402-room-to-grow?-hotel-projects-to-add-more-than-700-rooms-across-west-michigan

This must be one of the proposed hotel projects considered 'not viable' by the developer of the Waters building.

Archived