New Embassy Suites - Monroe North

numstead

I assure you if I ever donate as much money as the Devos or VanAndel families, you can all deal with the fact that my name is on all the buildings.

I always think people whining about names on a building is so bass akwards. Would you rather not have the building at all?

This city sure would suck if buildings weren't named after rich folks (and I'm not just talking about the living. Think about all of the buildings in GR named after someone).

But back to the hotel, did WZZM have better renderings? I'm really digging the design and would like to see a nice clean rendering.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on the rendering style, I'm guessing that Integrated is the architect. Some of the design cues are similar to the Northpointe Bank building on the Beltline.

The hotel does look nice, sort of like a cross between an old grand central train station, and a modern resort. I can't remember do the railroad tracks that cross monroe come near this site? I think it would be neat to have it by the railroad tracks to enhance the "Big train station" theme.

(Heres to hope that there's no falling fascia integrated into the design :ph34r: )

The hotel does look nice, sort of like a cross between an old grand central train station, and a modern resort. I can't remember do the railroad tracks that cross monroe come near this site? I think it would be neat to have it by the railroad tracks to enhance the "Big train station" theme.

(Heres to hope that there's no falling fascia integrated into the design :ph34r: )

Yes, the tracks run behind this site (the east side) but they are actually paved over on this block and I know GR wants to buy the tracks in this area so they can rip them out and put in a non-motorized trail.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news. Coming up at this Tuesday's City Commission meeting is the application to extend the Renaissance Zone status for this site to 2022. I believe if it is preliminarily approved, a public hearing will be scheduled in the near future.

<a href="http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/download_...77392ce9f0d.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/download_...77392ce9f0d.pdf</a>

(page 152)

And with some much clearer images. I really like all the patios on the roof of the lower sections and toward the top of the hotel. The outdoor fireplace is a nice touch as well. :shades: Let's hope those things don't get VE'd (Value Engineered) out. :mellow:

1681965011_c334e3fd61_b.jpg

All and all a fantastic looking project. Let's hope it keeps its momentum going. If I had to choose, I'd rather see this project go up rather than Moch's hotel.

Very nice looking, though I question the North(?) wall.

I agree somewhat, but what I am not so sure about is the East wall. Has anyone seen any renderings for that side of the hotel? If there was some substance to the East side I could definately live with the North, especially considering how fantastic this hotel looks to me so far(from the GRD posted image of the West side).

I agree somewhat, but what I am not so sure about is the East wall. Has anyone seen any renderings for that side of the hotel? If there was some substance to the East side I could definately live with the North, especially considering how fantastic this hotel looks to me so far(from the GRD posted image of the West side).

This is the only rendering I have seen so far. Considering that the East side faces a surface lot used by GR Spring & Stamping (it doesn't go all the way through to Bond Street), I don't think it will be much to look at. Plus, if anyone ever develops those lots, they would probably also want to redevelop the GRS&S site and their "front" would face Bond Street to the East. :dontknow: So their back would face the back of this building.

Here's the site again Libertarian, where you can see there is room to the East for future development (although probably not a high rise, but you never know what the future might hold). They build highrises in much denser settings in other cities.

456619818_a2734b3619_o.jpg

This is the only rendering I have seen so far. Considering that the East side faces a surface lot used by GR Spring & Stamping (it doesn't go all the way through to Bond Street), I don't think it will be much to look at. Plus, if anyone ever develops those lots, they would probably also want to redevelop the GRS&S site and their "front" would face Bond Street to the East. :dontknow: So their back would face the back of this building.

Here's the site again Libertarian, where you can see there is room to the East for future development (although probably not a high rise, but you never know what the future might hold). They build highrises in much denser settings in other cities.

Well, regardless, I still like it alot.

Good news. Coming up at this Tuesday's City Commission meeting is the application to extend the Renaissance Zone status for this site to 2022. I believe if it is preliminarily approved, a public hearing will be scheduled in the near future.

<a href="http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/download_...77392ce9f0d.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/download_...77392ce9f0d.pdf</a>

(page 152)

And with some much clearer images. I really like all the patios on the roof of the lower sections and toward the top of the hotel. The outdoor fireplace is a nice touch as well. :shades: Let's hope those things don't get VE'd (Value Engineered) out. :mellow:

All and all a fantastic looking project. Let's hope it keeps its momentum going. If I had to choose, I'd rather see this project go up rather than Moch's hotel.

Build it. Indoor/Outdoor Pool and all. I would much rather see it built than Moch's because it would be nice to infill Monroe before the secondary streets. This would be a great addition to the area.

Yes, the tracks run behind this site (the east side) but they are actually paved over on this block and I know GR wants to buy the tracks in this area so they can rip them out and put in a non-motorized trail.

From Mason Street south to the Press, the tracks are in the Bond Street right of way. The railroad operated there by a written agreement with the city. The agreement was not renewed a number of years ago (before the railroad stopped going to the Press :o ).

(page 152)

I love it. Let get it built!

I love it. Let get it built!

I like it too. In fact, I think its probably one of the best looking (potential) projects we've seen. Lots of retail along Monroe, not too tall; its a really good looking place...with the very, very small exception of the silly "Monroe North" signage. This would be a fantastic addition to Monroe.

I like it too. In fact, I think its probably one of the best looking (potential) projects we've seen. Lots of retail along Monroe, not too tall; its a really good looking place...with the very, very small exception of the silly "Monroe North" signage. This would be a fantastic addition to Monroe.

Not too tall?

I think Prankster is wondering why torgo would even say "not too tall", but I have to agree with torgo. Anything much taller would be out of scale and out of character for Monroe North. Size isn't everything. :)

Exactly. Not that I am against tall buildings, but anything higher than about 10-12 stories wouldn't fit that neighborhood. We already have a downtown; let's keep the really tall buildings there.

I think you might be. How dare you go against the status quo! You should know this isn't a free thinking Urban Planet. GRDad is the iron-handed ruler of this blog site. :P

I'm just having fun, but I would have to disagree with you though on this project. I think a lot of creative thinking went into this project than other current projects in GR. A mix use, semi green hotel for GR is relatively radical for the city and its design is consistent for the neighborhood. I can't get enough of it!

Am I the only one who thinks the design is, well...bland? I like the project in that it does the right thing with respect to the Monroe streetscape, but other than that it just isn't that inspiring.

I'm just having fun, but I would have to disagree with you though on this project. I think a lot of creative thinking went into this project than other current projects in GR. A mix use, semi green hotel for GR is relatively radical for the city and its design is consistent for the neighborhood. I can't get enough of it!

That's another good point, the scale of the building is appropriate for that area. My only complaint about the proposal is visual, not the substance of the proposal. Why does the roofline change midway through the building? What's with bland upper set back portion? It's just a row of small windows with balconies. The balconies themselves get pretty boring when there's such a long row of them. I also think the barrel roof looks rather goofy.

But, I guess that's just me.

Am I the only one who thinks the design is, well...bland? I like the project in that it does the right thing with respect to the Monroe streetscape, but other than that it just isn't that inspiring.

I could agree somewhat. For one, the brown color is a bit uhhhh...bland. Also, the area of the hotel with the hanging balconies is a bit flat with no contours. So yes, I too agree there are some bland aspects to the design, but overrall, top notch. However, I love the barrel roof. :)

WZZM picked up this story last night:

http://www.wzzm13.com/video/video_player_1...d=82572&bw=

(not firefox friendly)

It could be worse though. I was back in my home town of Petoskey this weekend, and found the new Holidy Inn Express to be particularly distasteful. That's what happens when you try to take design cues from old styles and totally mis-use them. I guess that's why I think this new NoMo hotel proposal just doesn't seem right to me. It's certainly not as bad as that Holidy Inn, but it could be so much better.

Come on guys(gals)! How many barrel-roofed, multi-decked, mixed use, semi green (since not going for complete LEED certified) hotels do we have in GR? I'm happy that someone is thinking "outside the box" on the look of this hotel. I want to see something different than the average glass high-rise. The design fits all our UP critizisms that we've felt for many projects and is in a location that everyone knows will benefit that neigborhood. The color scheme, which is hard to tell from the rendering, looks like they're going for a factory/rustic feel which I think will be just fine. Parking, which tends to be contentious, is pretty well hidden and not disturbing the front facade. The streetscape for the building is also pedestrian friendly. I'll bet anything that all of you will love this project once there are more renderings and construction is underway.

Man, I love being the optimist!

It could be worse though. I was back in my home town of Petoskey this weekend, and found the new Holidy Inn Express to be particularly distasteful. That's what happens when you try to take design cues from old styles and totally mis-use them. I guess that's why I think this new NoMo hotel proposal just doesn't seem right to me. It's certainly not as bad as that Holidy Inn, but it could be so much better.

The scenery in Petoskey is beautiful...the limo's pretty sort of... Do they really need a new hotel in Petoskey? Hm..... Well, I guess if you build it they will come.

I think beauty is within the eye of the beholder as far as the new hotel in GR is concerned. That's all I'm going to say about the building.

Archived