New Embassy Suites - Monroe North

numstead

I think that's very interesting indeed.   I am hoping it confirms my suspicions about the Hilton flagship brand changing to Double Tree by the airport.   I suspected Hilton was looking for a more high profile location for the area for it's flagship.  I hope this confirms it.

A flagship Hilton along with an Embassy suites would make a lot of sense and be like 2 birds with 1 stone in many ways. Amazed there is not a single Starwoods bran in this market (Weston, W, Sheriton, four points)

• 1 month later...

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weren't the new plans for this hotel supposed to be presented today? Anybody go? Any details?

Joe

I don't think there were any public meetings on the 17th, I think that was just their timeline to submit them to the city. 

Design department is supposed to review by the 23rd. 

Alrighty...so here's something...

It is in the agenda packet for the Design Team tomorrow, and it looks like they're going ahead with a 300 room dual brand hotel. Embassy Suites and HGI, which I think might be Hilton Garden Inn? I don't know. Looks like it will be 9 floors, and have quite an...interesting...footprint. I'd love to see a rendering.

http://grcity.us/engineering-department/BoardsCommissionAndAuthority/DT Agenda 09.23.15.pdf

It is in the agenda packet for the Design Team tomorrow, and it looks like they're going ahead with a 300 room dual brand hotel. Embassy Suites and HGI, which I think might be Hilton Garden Inn? I don't know. Looks like it will be 9 floors, and have quite an...interesting...footprint. I'd love to see a rendering.

http://grcity.us/engineering-department/BoardsCommissionAndAuthority/DT Agenda 09.23.15.pdf

Looks like a packed Agenda! 

It will be interesting to see the rendering - interesting to see the driveway pass through the first level to a parking ramp. I thought they had planned a restaurant on the top level- wasn't there also a rooftop patio (or am I mixing developments). Looks like that that isn't in the plan.

Joe 

Jeez, they have everything but the rendering. :) 

I see that not only did they take over the alleyway, they are picking up the lot on Bond Street for the parking ramp. Probably why it went from 12 floors down to 9. 

21451863089_a32c8d6fed_z.jpg

21612767666_235d235e0f_b.jpg

21627503082_06d1b9b8e5_b.jpg

21451995849_4aa7233bef_b.jpg

21647936071_1121323281_b.jpg

21017812413_b0a53f5742_b.jpg

Am I reading it right?

4 stories parking

6 stories HGI

7 stories ES

is the parking deck a separate structure altogether? Do HGI and ES share floors? I'm assuming so based on height but reading schematics is not my strength so just curious.

If you look at the drawing labeled "Tower Floor" it appears as though the wing on the left is the Hilton Garden Inn, and the wing on the right is the Embassy Suites (because I can see those are suites). They look like they share access in the middle but it's probably only available to the cleaning and maintenance crews. Probably also separated by a fire wall. 

It's cool that each room gets an outdoor patio. That's unusual. 

The parking deck is the big chunk in the upper left, and is not built into the building like it was proposed before. 

Then there are two floors of hospitality space, which are atypical height floors of probably 16 - 20' per floor (if you look at the cross-section, last image). 

Since we don't have a rendering yet, the upper floors, other than having balconies to break up the space, will probably be brick or some type of masonry mixed with EIFS (if I were a betting man). The lower two floors look interesting, with what looks like a large arched glass wall that you can just make out on the 2nd floor drawing. 

It looks like both brands will share the pool, conference space, lounge and restaurant. It will be an interesting concept to see in person. 

Wasn't there going to be a rooftop sports bar overlooking the river with this property?  I hope that is still in the works because I thought that would have been really unique to downtown.

Based on the drawings I think it got nixed. Otherwise it would have been highlighted or visible in the cross section? 

When is this supposed to break ground?   They haven't pushed it back have they?   Not that it would be a shock given that this has been talked about since 2007.

April 2016 according to their submission. Also says "Project Funding Secured."  

I'll post full size version of these drawings. They're fairly detailed. Hold please..

I put out a request for an updated rendering..

Just click on the image and click "full size" down in the left corner of the screen. You can then zoom in as much as your heart desires. 

21036244234_ece33eedb7_o.jpg

21472083799_d855679d25_o.jpg

21472085289_35ff6a2d4d_o.jpg

21632853836_64b0e1bbbb_o.jpg

21037913053_9789b1705e_o.jpg

• 3 months later...

They have spent a s#!t ton of time on this lot, and I'm guessing a s#!t ton of money in Architectural fees, etc.  It's hard for me to believe they are throwing in the towel.  BUT since they announced this project, nearly 10 years ago, The Hampton Inn has opened, and the Homewood Suites that is sent to open in July.  They may have missed their opportunity. We will see.

• 1 month later...

So this project is supposed to break ground in May of this year, and be finished in 2018. Wonder if they'll hit that schedule? The last item I found on the city's website was from August of 2015 from the Economic Development team, stating that the Buekemas had successfully negotiated a deal for the alley they were trying to get (Bond Alley), and that they were "working hard" to get the project ready. 

Bets anyone? I'm going to say this summer, probably not May. It would be cool to have this project and Icon II going up at the same time. 

• GRDadof3 changed the title to New Embassy Suites - Hilton Garden Inn - Monroe North
3 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I'm still leaning towards that it will never be built. There is always something at the last minute where they then need another two years to "sort out".

This thread is almost 9 years old, and these guys have yet to turn over one spoonful of dirt. Are developers normally this slow?

It might be one of the most challenging sites downtown, from what I hear. And it started right before the crash. 

Even the Drury hotel in Cascade that we're talking about on the other thread was first proposed in 2007.

• 2 months later...

I drove by here last night and the site is fenced off and it looked like some dirt had been moved - about a spoonful.  Maybe they have now technically broken ground since it's May. Didn't see any construction equipment.  I do really hope this gets built...even though it's taken a long time it's an exciting project.

3 hours ago, mgreven said:

I drove by here last night and the site is fenced off and it looked like some dirt had been moved - about a spoonful.  Maybe they have now technically broken ground since it's May. Didn't see any construction equipment.  I do really hope this gets built...even though it's taken a long time it's an exciting project.

I just drove by and saw it too. Woot! I think we're a go Houston.

Archived