New Embassy Suites - Monroe North

numstead

Construction fencing. The fact that it exactly outlines the hotel's property, including the parcels on Bond St, leads me to believe this is real and not just some effort to keep people from parking there. 

I'll keep digging for more info online..

The most recent thing I found on the city's site was their renewal of the Ren Zone, and the timeline showed construction commencing on May 1st, 2016. 

26287617604_403d8c333b_b.jpg

26287617704_718c22f013_b.jpg

And there's what appears to be a construction trailer:

26287616984_2e3ed73e07_z.jpg

Their Courtyard Marriott in downtown Holland just opened a few months ago; looks pretty cool. Anyone see it in person yet?

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/article/20160224/NEWS/160229560/SHARED/st_refDomain=t.co&st_refQuery=/12xA05W38x

Has a nice street level presence

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/storyimage/MI/20160224/NEWS/160229560/EP/1/3/EP-160229560.jpg

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, kevin8gr said:

I noticed the construction trailer also. In addition I must have scraped off the weeds too I don't remember seeing dirt last week. Hey, it's progress.

That used to be a small weedy parking lot that they scraped off. Definitely progress!

39 minutes ago, john_denver said:

That lonely ole building is staying put I assume...?

There are actually two lonely old buildings on that block. According to one of the site plans, one is staying (the one further South) and the other will be a parking garage.

21612767666_235d235e0f_b.jpg

The one with the mural appears to be staying. I think it's still owned by Gill Industries.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9757214,-85.6713192,3a,75y,322.82h,79.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sn9q39ExpdXsRzuAm58UVKQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

A permit has been pulled at the city for the "lonely little building" to install a new stairs to the basement with egress. It's going to be enclosed on 2 sides so it makes sense. 

I haven't seen any new renderings but I'm not holding out hope that this hotel is going to be anything earth shattering, but I'm really excited to see a new project along this stretch of Monroe. And you won't be able to see the parking! 

Some other work by the architecture firm, hospitality related. 

http://www.brpae.com/market/hospitality/

They still have the old Grand Rapids renderings on there. 

16 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

A permit has been pulled at the city for the "lonely little building" to install a new stairs to the basement with egress. It's going to be enclosed on 2 sides so it makes sense. 

I haven't seen any new renderings but I'm not holding out hope that this hotel is going to be anything earth shattering, but I'm really excited to see a new project along this stretch of Monroe. And you won't be able to see the parking! 

Some other work by the architecture firm, hospitality related. 

http://www.brpae.com/market/hospitality/

They still have the old Grand Rapids renderings on there. 

The old rendering looks like a cruise ship.  Will have to wait to see what they have come up with now :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

so this embassy will be co-branded with a Hilton Garden Inn and not a full-service Hilton? Thats kind of a shame....Too bad the areas Hilton left and they are building another garden inn by Woodland mall. Here is a cool drone video of the construction though, 

Also its only 4 stories, I know thats the area standard for hotels but most if not all the Garden Inn's I've seen actually have some height. I believe there was one planned near the airport at 8 floors in the past

On 5/5/2016 at 2:26 PM, mgreven said:

I drove by here last night and the site is fenced off and it looked like some dirt had been moved - about a spoonful.  Maybe they have now technically broken ground since it's May. Didn't see any construction equipment.  I do really hope this gets built...even though it's taken a long time it's an exciting project.

Long time reader, first time poster....

I work for Suburban Inns, the parent company building the hotel. This statement is technically correct. They had to "break ground" by May, but won't be doing too much extra work until the East Beltline property is further along. It's all about cash flow.

5 hours ago, ChevalierNoir said:

Long time reader, first time poster....

I work for Suburban Inns, the parent company building the hotel. This statement is technically correct. They had to "break ground" by May, but won't be doing too much extra work until the East Beltline property is further along. It's all about cash flow.

That hotel appears to have gone through a couple of different iterations DURING construction? I thought it was going to be all brick but now looks like some other kind of material is going on. 

Thanks for the update! 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to the Building Permit that is in Review with the city (filed on 10/19/16), Anticipated Construction Start Date of 1/2/17.  Keyword, Anticipated.  Not sure how accurate these are or if they just have to throw a date out there.  They did start the process though on 10/19.

12 hours ago, SEsideguy said:

How long can they keep putting construction off?

Forever, really. The only downside is that they'd lose the tax incentives. I don't know that the city will extend them again.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/09/downtown_grand_rapids_hotel_de.html

They're not a very large hotel developer so it appears to me that they build one hotel at a time. They built the Holland hotel, now they're building the one on the East Beltline, which is almost finished. 

Archived