New Embassy Suites - Monroe North

numstead

On 1/18/2017 at 1:31 PM, ctpgr34 said:

An application for Demolition of the warehouse building (on the left) was issued yesterday.  Not sure how long those take, but this is moving along ......Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 1.28.33 PM.png

Demolition equipment is on site and Pioneer Construction has its trailer on site. 

Monroe North Hotel Pioneer Trailer.jpg

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Didn't someone say the cranes are for the work on 96 this Spring. Or is it a different crane?

Joe

Actual job site crane.  You're right though, there are a number of cranes and other equipment parked right alongside 196 at the river.  No action there yet.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, arcturus said:

Like the original plans better but it isn't bad.

Immediately forgettable.  I'll never figure out why it is that plans so often end up looking a lot worse than an earlier concept.  "Well, we had this pretty luxe looking place and it was just going to attract too many customers and look too classy, so we came up with this instead..."   "Riverfront Hotel Part Deux" is not far off the mark.  

I like it a lot. I'm a fan of the balconies, especially facing the river. If they could make use of the rooftop, I'd like it even that much more; maybe a rooftop bar???

Maybe that could be a future expansion to the building considering there is already a lobby bar planned, but I could imagine in the summertime hanging out there and having drinks on the roof looking over downtown. Also with all of the plans going forward, GR could have quite a skyline 20 years from now.

5 hours ago, TheSutterKing said:

I like it a lot. I'm a fan of the balconies, especially facing the river. If they could make use of the rooftop, I'd like it even that much more; maybe a rooftop bar???

Maybe that could be a future expansion to the building considering there is already a lobby bar planned, but I could imagine in the summertime hanging out there and having drinks on the roof looking over downtown. Also with all of the plans going forward, GR could have quite a skyline 20 years from now.

I think this is why some are hesitant about creating rooftop bars (though I'm not sure if many exist in town).

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/01/bob_mlcc_hearing.html

6 minutes ago, SupercityGR said:

I never thought I would actually see dirt moved on this site for a hotel

No kidding. I remember this day like it was yesterday. That's the WAM building for those who haven't been around that long. 

58b6e4989fc96_WAMbuildingdemolition.jpg.3f86bb0f536090a92b17f313297729ca.jpg

I do not see this area fully taking off until move of the industrial spaces between Monroe and Division start to transition.  If those large spaces are well planned and a good mix of greenspace, retail and housing is constructed, that valley area could become a great destination.  Filling the old factories with almost 100% office workers does not provide much after-hours foot traffic or life.  I miss having Founders there but the only retail that replaced it is really Jimmy Johns.  I like to see things like Grey Skies and Rockies, but they are islands that provide for much life other than in their space.

35 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

I do not see this area fully taking off until move of the industrial spaces between Monroe and Division start to transition.  If those large spaces are well planned and a good mix of greenspace, retail and housing is constructed, that valley area could become a great destination.  Filling the old factories with almost 100% office workers does not provide much after-hours foot traffic or life.  I miss having Founders there but the only retail that replaced it is really Jimmy Johns.  I like to see things like Grey Skies and Rockies, but they are islands that provide for much life other than in their space.

At least there wont' be that large gap between Brass Works and Newberry/6th Street. 

The Field and Fire cafe in 820 is pretty good, and when City Built opens and the new restaurant in that Orion project opens, I think it will feel a lot different. Not as crazy as the West Side will be in a few years, but some people may like the slower pace of Monroe North. And the total revamp of the riverfront parks won't hurt. 

Now if Arnie would just drop his price on that old power plant at Bond and Newberry, that could become something really cool. ;)

Archived