New Embassy Suites - Monroe North

numstead

Hooray!!!!!! :lol: If that is the product that will be followed through on, what a huge boost to that area! I love that design!!!! I was thinking that we would get a boxy-generic look that really resembled a hotel, but this is a huge, wonderful surprise!

Sorry for all the exclamations! I can't help it! Talk to ya later! Crap!

The rendering looks larger than the WAM site, or is this the spring factory site? Thats a huge benefit extending the ren zones. I feel others should be extended as well.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rendering looks larger than the WAM site, or is this the spring factory site? Thats a huge benefit extending the ren zones. I feel others should be extended as well.

Welcome window washer! That's the WAM site. It's actually about 400' long when you include the parking lot on the corner. This will create almost a block long continuous infill of buildings along Monroe from Newberry to Trowbridge. Now if someone would infill the other two surface lots (between WAM and Brassworks, and between Brassworks and Monroe Terrace), and if the Press would relinquish the lot by ICON, Monroe would be the new hot address in downtown. This project would be quite the catalyst. It would create a NEED for a streetcar system to feed the rest of downtown along Monroe. :thumbsup:

456619818_a2734b3619_o.jpg

BTW: Ren Zones can be extended on specific properties on a case-by-case basis, if you can show significant job creation. They won't do it for residential projects (unless it's mixed use with a substantial amount of job creation).

The full article is online now:

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde....xml&coll=6

It will be interesting to see how long this takes to make its way from tax break approval to ground-breaking (if there is one).

What do you guys think of the barrel vaulted roof and accompanying dormers? I kinda like it.

I really like the ground level, but I sort of wish the upper floors weren't set back on the Monroe-facing side. I think it would be nice to have a nice, well-defined, and tall street wall. It's not bad though, and ground-floor retail is the real story here. Give us that and I won't complain about anything else on this project.

I really like the design, especially the roof. Maybe I was just surprised because I was expecting a flat roof like all the buildings around there have. I hope this one gets built like this design shows.

In the paper it said they are eligible for Brownfield tax credits but because of the time it takes to have them approved they aren't going to bother with them. Is that a sign that they want to start building this thing ASAP?

I really like the design, especially the roof. Maybe I was just surprised because I was expecting a flat roof like all the buildings around there have. I hope this one gets built like this design shows.

In the paper it said they are eligible for Brownfield tax credits but because of the time it takes to have them approved they aren't going to bother with them. Is that a sign that they want to start building this thing ASAP?

I noticed that too Eridony and found that to be surprisingly encouraging. And considering that they don't NEED the Brownfield credits like a lot of projects do, it puts it on better financial footings. They mention the word "burdensome" in regard to Brownfield Tax Credits. I wonder if that's because you have to go through the State, which is in a "chaos" right now in regards to budget shortfalls and taxes?

I give it a big thumbs up. :thumbsup:

You know, there's something about it that kind of reminds me of a big old powerplant. That's not a bad thing. I think big old powerplants can be pretty cool. Like this one in Baltimore's inner harbor.

power_plant_04b.jpg

as long as it doesnt look like that when its done... a little too rivertown crossings mall for me.

You know, there's something about it that kind of reminds me of a big old powerplant. That's not a bad thing. I think big old powerplants can be pretty cool.

Perhaps it's just the roof, but the first thing I think of when I see the rendering is the AEG Factory by Peter Behrens. It definitely has a modern industrial feel. Maybe the architects recently returned from a vacation in Germany? ;)

I could not ask for a better development! The style of the building is very unique when compared to some other hotels, but like the mayor said, " it keeps with the neighborhood." The barrel roof is fantastic and probably one of the few in GR. Overall, totally happy with it (balconies and 1st floor retail) and amazed that a developer would think "outside the box" like this in designing a GR hotel. :yahoo:

One issue though is parking. Would it be under the building or in a detached parking structure?

I could not ask for a better development! The style of the building is very unique when compared to some other hotels, but like the mayor said, " it keeps with the neighborhood." The barrel roof is fantastic and probably one of the few in GR. Overall, totally happy with it (balconies and 1st floor retail) and amazed that a developer would think "outside the box" like this in designing a GR hotel. :yahoo:

One issue though is parking. Would it be under the building or in a detached parking structure?

From the first article:

Preliminary building plans call for street-level retail space along Monroe, one level of underground parking and portions of the lower three above-ground floors being used for parking.

Considering that the developers own all suburban hotels now, they've really put a lot of effort toward going very "urban" with this design. Love it!

I hadn't thought of a "factory" look with the barrel vault, although I can totally see it now. I was thinking more of like an old English Inn. The sign on the roof says "North Monroe". Can't read the sign on the North face.

Is bluebridge venture the developer since the property is theirs?

Once again, I'm glad that the developers are keeping the industrial continuity in their design plan. Unlike other projects -(cough)- GRAM

I've always thought of N Monroe as the "Industry Row" of GR. A street car and gateway would make that area awesome!

Is bluebridge venture the developer since the property is theirs?

Once again, I'm glad that the developers are keeping the industrial continuity in their design plan. Unlike other projects -(cough)- GRAM

I've always thought of N Monroe as the "Industry Row" of GR. A street car and gateway would make that area awesome!

From the article:

Suburban Inns of Rockford is planning a $28 million, nine-story, 250-room hotel in the city's Monroe North area.

So far, no brand has been finalized, although President of Property Development Brian Beukema said the company is in talks regarding three brands, including Hilton Garden Inn.

They probably have an option on the property from BBV until they can finalize everything.

This would be a wonderful addition to the North Monroe Area! It is nice to see the refurbished buildings (Boardwalk, Brassworks, etc.) existing in the same area as the newers ones (Icon on Bond) and the rendering looks like it would fit in perfectly. However, if this actually gets built, and if it stays anything like the rendering are two HUGE ifs....Bluebridge has had a pretty tough go of it with past projects coming to fruition; I hope they can keep it together.

I am so over the whole announcing thing and then having it fall through. Is that too jaded?

I don't want to close on a negative, because I think GR needs more downtown hotels, and this one looks like it would be a nice fit. Nice vision!!

This would be a wonderful addition to the North Monroe Area! It is nice to see the refurbished buildings (Boardwalk, Brassworks, etc.) existing in the same area as the newers ones (Icon on Bond) and the rendering looks like it would fit in perfectly. However, if this actually gets built, and if it stays anything like the rendering are two HUGE ifs....Bluebridge has had a pretty tough go of it with past projects coming to fruition; I hope they can keep it together.

I am so over the whole announcing thing and then having it fall through. Is that too jaded?

I don't want to close on a negative, because I think GR needs more downtown hotels, and this one looks like it would be a nice fit. Nice vision!!

Blue Bridge is not the developer on the project. I too am tired of the "announcing and falling through" whiplash -_-

Let's hope this one gets built!

“Peter Beukema told the city that they would make the hotel as environmentally friendly as possible, but would stop short of applying for LEED certification due to budget constraints.

I hate it when people say this. It is very possible to go through the LEED process with VERY minimal, if any, additional costs. Its great that they will be as 'environmentally friendly as possible' but thats an easy comment to make and not follow through with... The LEED process provides a standard and guidelines to follow to ensure environmentally conscious design.

Archived